Hereford City of Culture 2021?

megilleland

Hereford Times: Friday 30th May 2014 in News By Bill Tanner

The Courtyard and Herefordshire Council have today (Friday) confirmed a partnership to create a local consortium to make the bid.

Over the next few weeks key local cultural organisations will be invited to join that consortium.

The UK City of Culture programme encourages the use of culture and creativity as a catalyst for change.

To prove its worth, the Hereford bid has to demonstrate the delivery of a high quality cultural programme that not only builds and expands on local strengths and assets  but reaches a “wide variety†of audiences over the course of the year.

The programme also has to show how  culture and creativity can lead to “lasting social regeneration†in contributing to related local agendas, supporting cultural diversity and cohesion, and creating demonstrable economic impact through investment and innovation.

Courtyard chief executive Ian Archer will advise the consortium. He played a key part in the initial stages of the successful Hull 2017 application.

Roger Morgan, Chairman of The Courtyard Board, said that the bid built on the centre’s nationally acclaimed cross-generational work as to how the arts can enhance lives and lifestyles.

“We believe that by bringing together all the major cultural organisations in the county we can extend this to bring an improved quality of life to the county as a whole,†he said.

Cllr Harry Bramer, Herefordshire Council cabinet member for cultural services, said the county brought “ an amazing cultural history and a vibrant and diverse contemporary cultural scene†to the bid.

" We have visual artists, craftspeople, musicians, performers, storytellers, historians, broadcasters, blacksmiths, photographers, designers, film-makers, writers, poets, dancers, developers, actors and directors. The council is committed to working with individuals, communities and organisations to do more for themselves and their local area,†said Cllr Bramer.

“I am really excited by the prospect of working with The Courtyard and the widest range of other organisations to take this forward. I am absolutely convinced that we have the skills locally to pull together a winning bid,†he said

This seems to have caused a lot of mirth on the HT comments. Is this the same man who wanted to cut the library service last year?

Councillor Harry Bramer said the county brought "an amazing cultural history and a vibrant and diverse contemporary cultural scene."

Cultural history??

This from the man who wants to demolish one of this cities most culturally historical buildings!!

Did he even manage to keep a straight face when he uttered these words?

This man wouldn't know culture, if it jumped up and bit him on the arse!

And just to add, this could be absolutely brilliant for Hereford......we DO have so very much to offer.

But most definitely NOT with Harry Bramer at the helm!

Easily sorted at the elections next year. By 2021 it is probably safe to say that none of the present incumbents will be around, so they can promise the earth with impunity.

I do believe in a long term strategy but you got to base that on what you can currently offer ... as a basis to build on ... What probably annoys me is that 'Herefordshire Council' have spent time forming a 'partnership' for a pie in the sky speculative bid when the County is currently on it's arse! 

I read the piece as well and it ruined my entire night. I left the house moaning about it and when I staggered in with ale pouring out of the sides of my mouth I was still moaning about it.

It's so bloody easy to become a visionary which is how Bramer and the others see themselves. It's an entirely different thing to be a realist and there is nothing realistic about this latest bucket of tripe.

We are fiscally knackered. On our knees and its unlikely that we are going to become economically upright for many years to come, and yet, despite the bloody holes in our roads, the bloody grass that's up to our knees, the litter, the flaking paint and the rotten bloody traffic that blights our everyday lives, still, even now when any fool could conclude, 'we are in the shi.te', they continue to think in this strange way.

And it is strange. There's nothing bloody normal about this at all. I dread to think where they're going to place the Big bloody Wheel. All Cities of culture get one and if ever Hereford are going to get through the first paper sift, they'll have to have a site and a plan in place to construct this bloody wheel that'll spin round loaded with folk all curious to see the extraordinary mess we are in from an elevated position.

The High Town Eye! My God. By the time they've finished there meetings, spent tens of thousands on consultancy fees, borrowed this and begged for that, we'll end up with a monstrous wheel constructed out of old wooden pallets and before they tie you into the seat, you'll be required to sign a disclaimer of responsibility should you fall out, begin your dreadful journey downwards and land on your head in the middle of Capuchin bloody Lane.

It all makes sense to me now.

Well, in an odd way.

Cllr Price on ITV a few weeks ago, at the "Old Market" as we all lovingly call it now, saying how the council had provided this new shopping mall and Hereford would now attract business investment, being known for it's security industry and food.  ( Yes food?).  Hereford Beef maybe but food? Strange.

Pat Morgan is now promoting the new (catchily named) Friday Food weekly market in Commercial Road.  

Bramer has paled up with a chap, Ian Archer, who did Hull's 2017 successful bid for city of Culture, who coincidentally happens to be working at the Courtyard and together they have produced this cockamamy idea.  We all know Bramer would have had this idea without the input of his new best mate ( sarcasm).

I'd really love it to happen and hope I'm proved wrong but it's beyond ridiculous and just makes me laugh.

There's mention of a new quango consortium organisation, (their favourite thing as it's usually a vehicle to hide where the money goes), and the promotion is full of all the sustainable regeneration buzz words "supporting cultural diversity and cohesion, and creating demonstrable economic impact through investment and innovation".  

What a farce!

So much for transparency and accountability

More than 50 theatres, galleries and other organisations at “serious financial risk†are sharing £14m of emergency grants, but the Arts Council has decided not to name the most recent beneficiaries because of “commercial sensitivity,†explaining that naming them could “prejudice the commercial interests of the organisations concernedâ€.

So much for transparency and accountability. This is public money, millions of pounds of public money, and yet the public is not to be told where its money is going. The excuse of “commercial sensitivity†is ludicrous.

Sounds familiar.

• 3 months later...
Saturday 4 October 2014 in Hereford Times News by Adam Knight

PLANS for a new-look Courtyard Centre for the Arts were revealed this week – as the county's cultural home outlined a 30,000 square foot extension to its Edgar Street building.

The increased space will be used, in part, to house small, creative businesses in a bid to keep the lights on at the Courtyard after council funding ends in 2016.

Richard Morgan, the centre’s chairman, explained the plan is to turn the theatre into a “cultural hub†– where those involved in arts and culture would rent office space side-by-side.

The hope is that this income, along with restaurant revenue from an expanded ground-floor cafe area, will be enough to fill the significant hole – around £200,000 a year – left when local authority funding is withdrawn.

And with that deadline looming, a timetable has been set which would see the project completed and open for use by 2017.

Mr Morgan said: “Every month we delay – under the current programme – costs the Courtyard £10,000 after council funding stops.â€

He added that the scheme has already been well received among the county’s creative industries, with 25,000 square feet already covered by expressions of interest.

The work would see the building extended to the south and west, covering some of the current car park.

The ground floor would include an expanded seating area for the restaurant – “so people didn’t feel as though they were eating in a corridor,†said Mr Morgan – as well as flexible space that could be used for rehearsals or classes.

Upstairs will be two floors, divided into smaller areas that could be rented out to local creative firms.

“Ideally they will be for those people involved in arts and culture,†said Mr Morgan, who said he had four categories in mind for potential tenants ranging from the artistic to the more commercial.

“If that doesn’t look like it will work, we will have think quickly about other options.

“I have been told there is a shortage of good, modern office space in the city.â€

He added that, for example, Hereford College of Arts graduates looking to set up in the area would fit into that top category, alongside companies like 2Faced Dance who are already basing themselves at the theatre.

The project will now move quickly, with Mr Morgan calling on any businesses with an interest in being involved to get in touch within the next month.

From October 17 the Courtyard will make public these initial plans on their website and as a hard copy accessible at their Box Office. Local residents will also be invited to a consultation event at a date yet to be set.

Those plans will be finalised by the end of the year, and fundraising will take place between January and June 2015.

If successful, construction will begin in 2016 ahead of a 2017 opening.

Good to see more culture on the agenda.

• 2 years later...
From BBC Hereford & Worcester:

Eleven towns and cities have now put their names forward to become UK City of Culture in 2021.

Perth, Paisley, Stoke, Sunderland, Coventry and Hereford had already put themselves up for the accolade when they declared their interest last year.

Five more are now added: Warrington, Portsmouth, Wells, Swansea and the smallest city in Britain, St Davids.

The chosen place will succeed Hull, which is the City of Culture for 2017.

The Heritage Lottery Fund has pledged to give £3 million to the winning city.

To be successful, the 2021 winner will have to prove its bid is centred around heritage, and that it will build on existing investment it gets from the lottery fund.

All final bids must be submitted by the end of April with a shortlist announced in July and the winning city named in December.

Minister for Digital and Culture, Matt Hancock, said the UK City of Culture competition was a "fantastic opportunity" to use culture "as a catalyst for economic growth".

"I am delighted to see so many bids from across the country, showing how many areas recognise the important role culture can play in the development and regeneration of communities.

"UK City of Culture helps boost tourism and raises the profile of arts and culture.

"The exciting funding commitment from the Heritage Lottery Fund is yet another incentive for towns to secure this prestigious title."

BBC correspondent Nick Higham said most of the towns and cities to put themselves forward have been badly hit by the decline of traditional industries and see the bid as a way to attract investment, stimulate development and make local people feel good about their city.

Since winning the title in 2013, Hull has seen a £1bn investment and it is estimated that the city's economy will have a £60m boost this year.

Last year, thousands came together to take part in Spencer Tunick's Sea of Hull project where they stripped naked and were painted blue.

The resulting images are to be exhibited in the city later this year.

Not long to get the bid in. You won't see me stripping off.

• 3 weeks later...

Last out out of 11 and 16/1 as a rank outsider - time to stop the madness and the spending on this fruitless pursuit.

I second that motion haven't got a cats chance in hell…was in Bristol Saturday now that would make a good choice for city of culture fab place

21st March 2017 from Herefordshire Council News:

Published on behalf of the Herefordshire Cultural Partnership

Herefordshire Cultural Partnership (HCP) notched up another success this week with the announcement that the county will be one of only 16 pilot areas for the Great Place Scheme, jointly funded over three years by Arts Council England (ACE) and Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to put heritage, arts and culture at the heart of its communities.  HCP’s project called Herefordshire’s a Great Place has been awarded £748,000.

Through an ambitious programme of events, activities, competitions, promotion and research local communities will be able to work with artists, arts and heritage organisations to celebrate and promote the very things that make where they live special.  Working closely with tourism, education, health and wellbeing sectors, Herefordshire’s a Great Place will demonstrate ways in which culture can play an integral role in the economic and community development of the county.

This major award is a huge boost to Herefordshire’s bid to become UK City of Culture 2021.  It also comes hot on the heels of last week’s welcome news of government support for Hereford’s new university. Inspiring and developing the county’s arts and cultural infrastructure will be essential to attracting students, retaining more young people locally, and building the visitor economy.

Herefordshire’s a Great Place has been supported by Herefordshire Council, Elmley Foundation, EF Bulmer Benevolent Fund, the Becket Bulmer Fund, and Friends of Herefordshire Museums & Arts.  Rural Media Charity will be leading the delivery of the Herefordshire’s a Great Place project on behalf of Herefordshire Cultural Partnership.

On the Hereford Times website today Tony Johnson, leader of Herefordshire Council, said:

“It is an exciting time to live in Herefordshire. We are in a changing economic climate and Herefordshire Council has helped to unlock funding through the Herefordshire is a Great Place bid.

"This project will help us identify opportunities for the community to adopt and manage assets such as sports pitches, parks and open spaces, while the council moves to focus on its key priorities. The project will help create a sustainable model of cultural enterprise, cultural tourism and retail, and develop a cultural brand strategy for Herefordshire.â€

Sports pitches, parks and open spaces. I thought they were "looked after" by the Council. More off loading by the council along with other public assets. What happened to Herefordshire you can?

"This project will help us identify opportunities for the community to adopt and manage assets such as sports pitches, parks and open spaces, while the council moves to focus on its key priorities. The project will help create a sustainable model of cultural enterprise, cultural tourism and retail, and develop a cultural brand strategy for Herefordshire.†

Let me guess that the cultural branding will cost more than will ever be spent on grass cutting and open spaces. If a website can cost £250,000 how much could you spend on developing a "cultural brand strategy" . Perhaps they will change the colour of the apple again - rosy red this time? 

​I see that this will enable the Council to focus on its key priorities. Sorry but I thought grass cutting, maintaining sports pitches, open spaces was one of the reasons we all have to pay so much in Herefordshire for our Council tax and as far as I am concerned my children and grand children being able to play outside is a priority to me, along with rubbish collection, filling potholes, etc.

"This project will help us identify opportunities for the community to adopt and manage assets such as sports pitches, parks and open spaces, while the council moves to focus on its key priorities. The project will help create a sustainable model of cultural enterprise, cultural tourism and retail, and develop a cultural brand strategy for Herefordshire.â€

Let me guess that the cultural branding will cost more than will ever be spent on grass cutting and open spaces. If a website can cost £250,000 how much could you spend on developing a "cultural brand strategy" . Perhaps they will change the colour of the apple again - rosy red this time?

​I see that this will enable the Council to focus on its key priorities. Sorry but I thought grass cutting, maintaining sports pitches, open spaces was one of the reasons we all have to pay so much in Herefordshire for our Council tax and as far as I am concerned my children and grand children being able to play outside is a priority to me, along with rubbish collection, filling potholes, etc.

Yep partly it's supposed to but at lest with this subsidy they will be able to maintain them the rest will be spent on consultation firms in the forming of the cultural branding strategy?!

But what I find intriguing is all this money available through these different enterprises but yet local authorities are being told to cut back on their spending? It's also interesting to note there is no no money on offer for adult care,children's services & yet these are the services worst effect by cut backs!!

I wonder why that could be? Possibly because they are not profitable??!!