Petition: Reverse Decision To Reduce Grass Cutting

I'm glad to see you got a plug in for Hereford Voice in the comments.

The HT piece appeared very soon after I had Tweeted the HT that the poll had exceeded 400 votes .... And the article then mentioned that very fact ... The Author of the article is uncredited again so I suppose you will have to make yer own mind up! 

A one of your Local Councillors you have my full support and we be pressing with the Adminstration and Balfour Beatty to reconsider this as it will have a detrimental impact on the way the County / City and Towns will look.

We rely on Tourism and if we start to put folks off visiting then then will impact on the Local Business's.

All the Best and if there is any updates will place a post on the VOICE

Correct correction Hereford City Council does not have any buildings the small offices that are used in the Town Hall belong to Herefordshire Council.

I live near to the King George playing fields and as a Herefordian they have never been in such a state as is the case in other areas.

Councillors were summoned to Brockington a few weeks ago and those who turned up were told by BB that they were going to cut the grass areas three times a year instead of seven with the exception of areas for sport. I have been informed that the King George has had two with one to go. As Polly Says we have a meeting next week regarding grass cutting.

I have signed the petition Colin.

Cllr Bob, I have the greatest respect for you -

however I must say that the Cllrs that disagree with what this Council are doing must shout from the tree tops their disagreement ,they must also tell their Parishioners what the Council intend doing and say what should be done. It's the only way that we can get this dictorial Council to understand our feelings. I know that my Cllr , who is of the same persuadant as you is realising that the majority of the residents are wanting the Cllrs to stand up and be counted.

Having said all that , what do I know about politics and procedures - all I have know is if the Govt of the day says do this / do that I have done it without question - my life is now differentant as is my master ( Mrs Ubique ) I do what she says ! ( well not all the time )

Looks as if the tail is wagging the dog. Who drew up this contract for the next ten years - any names please. Is this someting that we can draw attention to when the Council has its annual audit. One of the criterias the auditor has to assess for ratepayers is value for money. When is this years audit?

Councillors please get exact clarification. On which grass is and isn't going to 'be cut.  I was clearly told by the Council Customer Services department that ONLY amenity grass and Splays onto highways and only 3 times per year. The woman I spoke with told me for all other grass areas contact my local parish council.

Councillors were summoned to Brockington a few weeks ago and those who turned up were told by BB that they were going to cut the grass areas three times a year instead of seven with the exception of areas for sport. 

How about Councillors summon Balfour Beatty and tell them what to do? Something seriously wrong with priorities here. As megilleland says - too much tail wagging the dog. Goodness knows Amey were bad enough and how on earth have we got into a deal that is even worse? 

I posted this last year and it still holds up today.

Posted 17 November 2013

Things are steadily getting worse on Hereford's estates with not much activity on the ground. Here on Newton Farm not only are Herefordshire Housing cutting the bulk of the grass, but also the Council's agents (used to be Amey and now Balfour Beatty), and in the case of our street, we pay a service charge for Muir Group Housing to cut the grass and keep the area tidy. 

There is no co-ordination between these bodies, so some grass gets cut and other areas are left to be cut at a later date. This results in an unkempt appearance and local residents not knowing who is responsible for which piece of land. There are pieces of land which have never been cut this year. The problems around the electricity sub-station in Sherborne Close still continue, with fly tipping amd split rubbish bags spewing their contents over the pavements every weekend. Not much hope of anything been done as this has been occuring and visible to anyone passing through this area since the first post here in June 2010.

This lack of co-ordination and co-operation to maintain our estates goes back to 2002 when the council handed over most of our green, open spaces to Herefordshire Housing and other Registered Social Landlords, when they got rid of their housing stock. Since then and several recessions later we were told these alterations and efficiency savings would benefit us the council tax payers and be easier to manage in the future. As we can now see this way of working has failed. There should be one contractor to cover the whole area by adopting all the open space. Balfour Beatty having got their £200 million contract with the council, and possibly a phone line connected in the near future, things could be different, but I doubt it.

Update: The only grass being cut at the moment to any standard is that owned by Herefordshire Housing. 

Well said Dippy 

Colin I'm sure I'm not alone in my thoughts that you are as King Bobby would say, a good lad! I absolutely appreciate the amount of work that goes into maintaining a web site such as this. I'm very grateful that you have given people a place to air their views and openly debate without fear of censorship. I truly believe you are motivated by a sense of moral decency that most of us can only aspire to. I also strongly believe that because of this site sooner or later someone in a position of  power is going to take notice! 

Well done Colin and thank you 

My warmest regards Flam 

Thank you for your kind words, it means a lot and hopefully we will continue to push all the right buttons and maybe collectively we can make a difference! Hereford Voice is going from strength to strength and our membership is constantly growing but without you guys we would not exist so maybe I should thank you!

A one of your Local Councillors you have my full support and we be pressing with the Adminstration and Balfour Beatty to reconsider this as it will have a detrimental impact on the way the County / City and Towns will look.

We rely on Tourism and if we start to put folks off visiting then then will impact on the Local Business's.

All the Best and if there is any updates will place a post on the VOICE

Thank you Adrian.

Correct correction Hereford City Council does not have any buildings the small offices that are used in the Town Hall belong to Herefordshire Council.

I live near to the King George playing fields and as a Herefordian they have never been in such a state as is the case in other areas.

Councillors were summoned to Brockington a few weeks ago and those who turned up were told by BB that they were going to cut the grass areas three times a year instead of seven with the exception of areas for sport. I have been informed that the King George has had two with one to go. As Polly Says we have a meeting next week regarding grass cutting.

Thank you Bob, it is good to see we have the support of our Councillors.

Can I ask...

... why is it that we ALWAYS have the support of local councillors... yet nothing get's done?

I realise sometimes they do dig up info or cut the grass like Jim did, but if all of the local councillors are in support of such things and against these issues and policies, why do they keep coming up? It's almost as if "local councillor" is just the next step up from "regular poster".

Either this is a dictatorship with one bellend at the helm, or these local councillors are telling us one thing here but acting out something very different when they get into the meetings.

Biomech I'm with you on your last comment 

If Councillors, were summoned to Brockington several weeks ago why didn't someone say something sooner! No they waited till this was a done deal!! 

How about Councillors summon Balfour Beatty and tell them what to do? Something seriously wrong with priorities here. As megilleland says - too much tail wagging the dog. Goodness knows Amey were bad enough and how on earth have we got into a deal that is even worse? 

Couldn't agree more ... It's no different to a pampered footballer telling his Club what's going to be happening ... The Council should be laying down the rules to BB ...

Councillors please get exact clarification. On which grass is and isn't going to 'be cut.  I was clearly told by the Council Customer Services department that ONLY amenity grass and Splays onto highways and only 3 times per year. The woman I spoke with told me for all other grass areas contact my local parish council.

I echo the above for next Wednesday's meeting. EXACTLY which area's qualify for three cuts. I'm specifically interested about Churchill Gardens as I live there. The grass is so long that I am worried about my dogs' picking up 'ticks' as they walk through it.

Also how come the contractors have cut around College Green down to the junction with College Road (roundabout + verges etc) then abruptly stopped? College Road and around Penn Grove Road/Admirals Close is a disgrace ... 

Dippy, have you notice how the HT always have to slip in a little "we reported this before" line whenever they write an article about anyone else :P

Yes I absolutely had, Biomech!!!

Are you going to see Fiona at Hay Festival?? Friday 30th May 10.00am?

"Why choose journalism?" Is the name of the discussion, and the panel is made up of Guto Harri, (News UK) Benedict Brogan(from The Telegraph) and our very own Fiona Phillips.

Reading the blurb........"If seeking adventure, intellectual stimulation and the chance to write the first draft of history, this could be the life for you."

Or.......you could just delete anything too controversial!

The Independent Sunday 25 May 2014

A major British building contractor has been accused of handing striking construction workers over to Dubai police who then beat, imprisoned, and deported them.

Workers helping to build a new university campus were attacked after going on strike asking for an increase to their salary of £121 a month, according to eyewitnesses spoken to by The Independent on Sunday.

Managers at BK Gulf, a joint venture company run by UK-based construction firm Balfour Beatty, alerted police to the strike at a site where New York University is being built. The eyewitnesses, most of whom were working on the new Abu Dhabi campus of New York University, described officials at BK Gulf videotaping striking workers last October before police kicked down doors and arrested dozens. Others were tricked into meetings with management, only to find police waiting for them.

Be careful what you say Councillors - it could turn nasty!

Hereford Housing cut there grass every 2 weeks even if it doesn't need doing.I noticed that the roundabout next to the new development had there grass cut in the week and it wasn't very long why that roundabout and no where else?

Hereford Housing cut there grass every 2 weeks even if it doesn't need doing.I noticed that the roundabout next to the new development had there grass cut in the week and it wasn't very long why that roundabout and no where else?

Hereford Housing are not the Council Chris.

I know Hereford Housing are not the Council but how come they can cut the grass every 2 weeks and why did the Council cut the grass at the roundabout and no where else is it so there lovely shopping centre doesn't look a mess.

I know Hereford Housing are not the Council but how come they can cut the grass every 2 weeks and why did the Council cut the grass at the roundabout and no where else is it so there lovely shopping centre doesn't look a mess.

The new shopping centre does not belong to the council! It is privately owned but yes I did notice that the Newmarket St roundabout had been mowed was this done by BB or someone else?