Traffic Lights Campaign - Part -Time Lights 7pm-7am

How do you propose to turn off the traffic lights but keep them on for pedestrans, the pedi crossings are integrated into the sequencing of the traffic signals, you can't just turn all the lights back on when a pedi comes along, the traffic will not be expecting it.

It seems most of the traffic lights in hereford are there for the safety of pedestrians and cyclists and are not there for the benefit of mostorists, you are after all encased in steel and therefore less vulnerable than the other road users. I'm still hoping if the traffic gets bad enough more people will walk cycle or bus, maybe thats the councils cunning plan!

How do you propose to turn off the traffic lights but keep them on for pedestrans, the pedi crossings are integrated into the sequencing of the traffic signals, you can't just turn all the lights back on when a pedi comes along, the traffic will not be expecting it.

It seems most of the traffic lights in hereford are there for the safety of pedestrians and cyclists and are not there for the benefit of mostorists, you are after all encased in steel and therefore less vulnerable than the other road users. I'm still hoping if the traffic gets bad enough more people will walk cycle or bus, maybe thats the councils cunning plan!

Duh! The pedestrian lights would remain operative obviously! Cycle or bus is brilliant but not ideal when you have a van full of tools in order to do your job locally eh.

Please don't be so narrow minded, of course the pedestrian lights would stay on, can't believe you actually thought that nobody had thought about that and we were all considering turning them off :Blushing_32:  

This seemed like the most relevant place to ask without making a new thread.

I went out at 8am this morning, the traffic was backed up Ross Road past Grafton/Ambulance Station, backed up past Tesco on Belmont and beyond and backed up down Holme Lacy road.

Was it just worst today or is it always like that? I only ask as I rarely go out at that time, if that's how it usually is, I'll avoid doing it again

Welcome to my world but when those lights are out of order that traffic is non existent, funny that.  

How can you keep on the pedestrian lights and turn off the traffic lights? they are all part of the same system! they are one and the same system, when you press the cross button it alters the phasing to stop the traffic lights on red for a longer period. there are a few pelican crossing which are independant but are'nt we talking about the major junctions like asda and edgar street?

How can you keep on the pedestrian lights and turn off the traffic lights? they are all part of the same system! they are one and the same system, when you press the cross button it alters the phasing to stop the traffic lights on red for a longer period. there are a few pelican crossing which are independant but are'nt we talking about the major junctions like asda and edgar street?

No they are NOT part of the same system, the traffic lights are operated on a scoot system where are pedestrian lights are operated independently via a button that the pedestrian presses.  

DOH! Go check it out, look at it, figure out how it works. Yes many pedestrain corssings are independant, but many of them at the major juntions being discussed here are an integrated part of the traffic lights.

Duh!! 

We would like both the Highways Agency and Herefordshire Council to allow the traffic lights at the junctions
where the A465 meets the A49 (Asda roundabout/junction) and
where the A49 meets the A438 Newmarket St (Old Market roundabout/junction)
to become part-time signals during non peak times from 7pm-7am
with exception to the pedestrian crossings which would still be in operation for the safety of pedestrians.

I suggest that you go check it out and read the whole topic! These 2 sets being discussed here have independent pedestrian lights which a separate to the main scoot lights!

Marked with red lines are pedestrian crossings integrated with the traffic lights, Marked with green lines are the pedestrains crossing that could possibly be programmed to work independantly.

post-947-0-35475900-1410604266_thumb.pngpost-947-0-15141000-1410604269_thumb.png

We would like both the Highways Agency and Herefordshire Council to allow the traffic lights at the junctions
where the A465 meets the A49 (Asda roundabout/junction) and
where the A49 meets the A438 Newmarket St (Old Market roundabout/junction)
to become part-time signals during non peak times from 7pm-7am
with exception to the pedestrian crossings which would still be in operation for the safety of pedestrians.

No point looking at all the side roads that you have indicated in your image Jonny, the discussions are ONLY about the junctions mentioned above and in the original opening post. The Asda junction has independent pedestrian lights (there is also another independent pedestrian crossing 30 metres along opposite the roundabout stores) and so does the Edgar St junction. 

Side roads, Will this go on forever? The crossings marked are over the A49, A465, A438. What do you propose to do about the inconvient truth that these crossings are here? Close them?

You have marked Eign St for a start? Leave these lights alone, from my understanding it's just the main junctions that is being proposed to become part time, thus allowing traffic at night to continue along the ring road. In other words treat these 2 junctions as roundabouts at night. The times I have been sat at the traffic lights at 2am when there has been no traffic is a joke! I drove out of Asda early hours this morning and wanted to go straight over and along the Ross road, I was sat there for ages, not a car in site or a pedestrian for that matter.

Side roads, Will this go on forever? The crossings marked are over the A49, A465, A438. What do you propose to do about the inconvient truth that these crossings are here? Close them?

Reduce the speed to 20mph which is faster than at present along Belmont Road and increase the area the public use to cross the road and hatch it like the box junctions. If motorists can't stop they are going too fast.

Reduce the speed to 20mph which is faster than at present along Belmont Road and increase the area the public use to cross the road and hatch it like the box junctions. If motorists can't stop they are going too fast.

If you reduce the speed limit to 30mph some people will still drive at 30mph. There are less pedestrians during the night but I still think that making the lights part time and treating these junctions as roundabouts again is a good idea. I works fine in Gloucester!

I admit this idea has it merits, It can seem pointless sat at lights for no good reason but its not as simple as just turning off the lights for a few hours, there are many changes that would need to be made to the road layout for this to be a workable proposal. This is the sort of thing the highways agency will use as an excuse to dismiss this proposal unless you come up with viable solutions as part of your proposal.

I can see the edgar street roundabout idea working, Keep the lights at eign st. jnct as paul suggests.  close the pedi crossing on the a49 northbound c'way outside debenhams < although would this ever be allowed?

Im really sorry - but treating these two junctions as roundabouts at night does not need any new road layout.

I would perhaps make it a little later in the evening - maybe from 10pm - but really its common sense.

No lights needed there - I too have been in Asdas late at night and sat at the red light for ages for NOT ONE CAR to go past.

Changing road layouts would make no difference at all.

Im really sorry - but treating these two junctions as roundabouts at night does not need any new road layout.

I would perhaps make it a little later in the evening - maybe from 10pm - but really its common sense.

No lights needed there - I too have been in Asdas late at night and sat at the red light for ages for NOT ONE CAR to go past.

Changing road layouts would make no difference at all.

I agree, maybe a few new signs showing part time times - 7pm-7am or something along those lines. There is no special layout in Gloucester, in general, it's been proven than when the lights are out people actually slow down out of caution.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Re Wall St Traffic lights , I wrote to my Cllr some three months ago suggested that the junction should be made a hatched / box junction hopefully to prevent traffic on the main road blocking the junction , it was passed onto Richard Ball from the Council - below is his reply ...........

Thanks for passing this on, I will ask the highway engineers who are monitoring this as the changes bed in to consider whether any amendments are required. The new road layout has generally been well received and allows more turning movements than previously. Whilst this issue will be considered, I understand that the designers original intention was to try to create a “shared space†feel that reduces street clutter and markings to improve pedestrian movements across the junction and effectively link the new development to the city centre.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Richard Ball

Assistant Director Place Based Commissioning

Economy, Communities & Corporate Directorate

Herefordshire Council

PO Box 167

Hereford

HR4 0WY

Tel: 01432 260965

Fax: 01432 383031

• 4 weeks later...

'Place Based Commissioning' was a name thought up by, and billed for by external consultants (really) as there was a requirement from within the Council to make the department as oblique/invisible as possible - it was of course previously called 'Highways' which is far too descriptive and leaves them wide open to being contacted by the great general public. 

As for the rest, well, grammar doesn't seem to be their strong point. But Mr Ball is on upwards of £78k so why should he care.

• 1 month later...

Ah, yes, the "Why Use One Word When Thirty Five Will Do" school of job titles. This technique is usually employed within corporate set-ups to make people feel more important than they really are, so that they can be paid a lot less than they are worth. It doesn't always work.

Gentle Giant

Chief Assistant Deputy Commissioning Head of Opinion Expression and Communication (Local Affairs) Belmont Branch.