Welcome!

Be sure to register in order to take full advantage of all of the awesome features this forum has!

Photo
* * * * * 13 votes

Traffic Lights Campaign - Part -Time Lights 7pm-7am

Traffic

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 18 April 2014

I have now implemented phase II of our traffic lights campaign and that is in the form of a petition from the very start!

[Please note that this is totally separate to our lights out campaign. This petition deals only with the traffic lights at night]

part-time-traffic-signals.jpg

We would like both the Highways Agency and Herefordshire Council to allow the traffic lights at the junctions
where the A465 meets the A49 (Asda roundabout/junction) and
where the A49 meets the A438 Newmarket St (Old Market roundabout/junction)
to become part-time signals during non peak times from 7pm-7am
with exception to the pedestrian crossings which would still be in operation for the safety of pedestrians.

All of these traffic lights are relatively pointless during off peak times and often motorists become frustrated and impatient while being forced to sit at red lights, this can often be at 2am when there are clearly no other vehicles in sight!

By signing our petition you are in strong favour of these signals being changed to PART-TIME status from 7pm-7am

Please read the petition and you can offer your support by simply signing it. 

#trafficlightshfd

Part-Time Traffic Lights Petition Here

#2 Frank Smith

Frank Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationHereford.

Posted 18 April 2014

Yes makes complete sense to me, off to sign it now.  :Thumbs-Up:

#3 magicroundabout

magicroundabout

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 April 2014

Last night 8.45pm, Newmarket/Blueschool street was shut off and traffic directed down Commercial road from Bath street, it was fairly busy.

I waited at traffic lights on the one way Union Street by the Country Bus station -( just a bus stop as pointed out on another forum).  

Waiting to move forward to the second set of lights, then to turn right onto Commercial road, I didn't see any cars travel along Commercial road, not one. 

That's despite the unusual diversion!

It took many minutes at that double set of lights - held up for nothing, as per usual.  Then a few more traffic lights to wait at on Commercial Road, again causing delay and congestion unnecessarily.  

I'm all for a total cull of the traffic lights, maybe a good weeding out of them or even just a part-time shut down of them all would improve matters!

Signing now!

#4 Rebecca Morrison

Rebecca Morrison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 April 2014

This city needs to have the whole traffic light problems sorted! The kids are off school and I am still finding myself sat in queues waiting for traffic lights, i am in favour of a lights out trial along the routes suggested, and changing the traffic lights to part time is a definite no brainer at the very least!! I have signed the petition and will continue to share it out, because I do get myself so so stressed driving around this city, especially late an night, hy oh why are we controlled by traffic lights at night?

#5 dippyhippy

dippyhippy

Refugees Welcome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful World Of Dippy!!

Posted 18 April 2014

"..Just a bus stop, as pointed out on another forum"

That would have been me, Magic!!

Well done Colin for persevering with this. There is so much support for your idea, that quite frankly it beggars belief that it hasn't been done.

I shall sign your petition!

Proud to be a tolerant and compassionate tree hugger. Blessed with common decency and humanity. Willing to speak up for those in need. Prepared to challenge the bigoted views which seem to be aired so freely.... 

Sending peace and love, to my fellow lefties.

#6 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 18 April 2014

Be sure to market this across all social media platforms and, if you can, get the Journal to pick it up, you should blitz the target then. I wouldn't waste my time with the Hereford Times.

#7 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 18 April 2014

"..Just a bus stop, as pointed out on another forum"

That would have been me, Magic!!

Well done Colin for persevering with this. There is so much support for your idea, that quite frankly it beggars belief that it hasn't been done.

I shall sign your petition!

Thanks dippy  :Thumbs-Up:

#8 Ubique

Ubique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationWhere Right and Glory lead.

Posted 18 April 2014

Signed and shared . Best of luck Colin with your efforts.

This morning (Good Friday) travelled up Edgar St to Bewell St ( Tesco) Traffic Island , in lane three intending to turn right after the island to travel up Whitecross Rd. Traffic light because it was a BH , forced to stop at the traffic lights on red, with a number of other vehicles , no vehicles approaching from Steels Corner and beyond , if the lights had been switched off over the BH and the junction used as a Give Way junction all traffic would have negotiated the island safely.

In the USA at a number of junctions with Traffic Lights drivers turning right are allowed to use the junction as a Give Way junction rather than comply with the traffic lights - that works very well - let common sense prevail ! This could work very well at a number of junctions in the City.
Sir Winston Churchill-
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life".

#9 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 18 April 2014

Signed and shared . Best of luck Colin with your efforts.

This morning (Good Friday) travelled up Edgar St to Bewell St ( Tesco) Traffic Island , in lane three intending to turn right after the island to travel up Whitecross Rd. Traffic light because it was a BH , forced to stop at the traffic lights on red, with a number of other vehicles , no vehicles approaching from Steels Corner and beyond , if the lights had been switched off over the BH and the junction used as a Give Way junction all traffic would have negotiated the island safely.

In the USA at a number of junctions with Traffic Lights drivers turning right are allowed to use the junction as a Give Way junction rather than comply with the traffic lights - that works very well - let common sense prevail ! This could work very well at a number of junctions in the City.

Thank you. Yes the have some brilliant systems in place in the USA and throughout Europe it just seems to be the UK that need to play catch up and stop treating us like we are kids.  :Cool_32: 

#10 Adrian Pitt

Adrian Pitt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 18 April 2014

Excellent idea Col, so if they do not go with the light out trial hopefully we can have part time light at night, 7pm until 7am sounds ideal too.  :Thumbs-Up:  :Thumbs-Up:

#11 Mick

Mick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 April 2014

No brainer for me too, just signed. Keep up the god work and keep up the pressure!

#12 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 19 April 2014

It's got to the point now that if I'm stopped at a red light at 2am if I can see clearly I'll go anyway.

There have been more times than I care to count in the day that the roads have been more than safe to pull out of yet we're stuck sitting behind red lights.

#13 ragwert

ragwert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationEreford

Posted 19 April 2014

Colin.If the scoot system on Newmarket roundabout was working the way it should there would be no point in asking for them to be part time.
The fact is this bloody system needs sorting out as the Highways agency needs to be told every time it f**ks up.
I was also stuck going around the roundabout on Tuesday around 11pm.The scoot system should of changed my light to green as there was no other traffic around.
They need switching off all together as they serve no purpose except cause traffic jams

#14 Bill Thomas

Bill Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 23 April 2014

There is no reason in my opinion why the traffic lights along the whole of the ring road cannot become part time after 7pm.  :Cool_32:

#15 Alex

Alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationNewton Farm, Hereford

Posted 25 April 2014

Signed and shared  :Thumbs-Up:

#16 megilleland

megilleland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 29 April 2014

I see the traffic lights at Edgar Street and Blackfriars Street were turned on today. 9.30am this morning jammed up, but coming home at 3.30pm little traffic.

#17 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 29 April 2014

I noticed that traffic on the South side of town wasn't up to it's normal standard, perhaps everyone was busy somewhere?

#18 M. Preece

M. Preece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 April 2014

I noticed that traffic on the South side of town wasn't up to it's normal standard, perhaps everyone was busy somewhere?

Well it depends on what time you witnessed this? I drove down the Belmont Rd yesterday morning at 8.20 and the traffic was horrendous! It took me almost an hour to get to Cotswold BMW, which on a Sunday I can do in 10 mins.

#19 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 30 April 2014

Oh sorry I did mean to say, it was around 2-3pm

#20 Steve Major

Steve Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 01 May 2014

Yes good idea, signed 

#21 H.Wilson

H.Wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 07 May 2014

This should of been implemented years ago. Signed and shared  :Happy_32:

#22 Bill Thomas

Bill Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 12 May 2014

Wow a lot of signatures already.

#23 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 17 May 2014

We have hit over 100 individual signatures tonight which is brilliant. Please share the petition on social media and with your friends.

#24 dippyhippy

dippyhippy

Refugees Welcome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful World Of Dippy!!

Posted 17 May 2014

That's really encouraging Colin!!

I don't "do" social media, so I can't "share".............but, I CAN talk the hind legs off a donkey, so I ensure I spread the word that way!!

Proud to be a tolerant and compassionate tree hugger. Blessed with common decency and humanity. Willing to speak up for those in need. Prepared to challenge the bigoted views which seem to be aired so freely.... 

Sending peace and love, to my fellow lefties.

#25 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 17 May 2014

That's really encouraging Colin!!

I don't "do" social media, so I can't "share".............but, I CAN talk the hind legs off a donkey, so I ensure I spread the word that way!!

Hey, that's good enough for me  :Happy_32:

#26 Alex

Alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationNewton Farm, Hereford

Posted 18 May 2014

We have hit over 100 individual signatures tonight which is brilliant. Please share the petition on social media and with your friends.

Result.  :Cool_32:  :Cool_32:  :Cool_32:  :Cool_32:

#27 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 02 June 2014

This seemed like the most relevant place to ask without making a new thread.

I went out at 8am this morning, the traffic was backed up Ross Road past Grafton/Ambulance Station, backed up past Tesco on Belmont and beyond and backed up down Holme Lacy road.

Was it just worst today or is it always like that? I only ask as I rarely go out at that time, if that's how it usually is, I'll avoid doing it again

#28 twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 02 June 2014

On Thursday of last week, I was sat going nowhere in Blueschool St (westbound) watching workman digging up new paving which I had seen them digging up a couple of weeks previously. In front of me were 8 - count 'em - 8 red lights at the Widemarsh St junction, all new. I wanted to turn right into Widemarsh St - this filter cycled through to green twice whilst I couldn't move. Far from turning the damned things off, somehow we've ended up with even more lights, and, worse, they don't appear to be intelligently controlled.

#29 megilleland

megilleland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 02 June 2014

On Thursday of last week, I was sat going nowhere in Blueschool St (westbound) watching workman digging up new paving which I had seen them digging up a couple of weeks previously. In front of me were 8 - count 'em - 8 red lights at the Widemarsh St junction, all new. I wanted to turn right into Widemarsh St - this filter cycled through to green twice whilst I couldn't move. Far from turning the damned things off, somehow we've ended up with even more lights, and, worse, they don't appear to be intelligently controlled.

Yes more clutter. I counted 22 traffic light posts in this area. What a way to solve a problem of keeping everything moving!

#30 twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 02 June 2014

Which it doesn't do! Refer to the 'artists impressions' submitted with the planning application - not a single bloody light!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Traffic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users