Old Market - What's With All The Wood?

What's with all the wood??

Old-Market-Hereford.png

It always gets me why do developers use wood on new projects? I suspect they would argue in this case that it lets in more light for cars going up the ramp onto the roof top parking but they could of used similar materials to what they have used around the other side near to the new cinema, which looks a lot more modern and better in my view. It's obviously cheaper! However, in a few years time it will go grey or even black in colour and look terrible. Have a look at the Courtyard Theatre, they have had to replace some and that looks even worse!!

The relatively new Premier Inn next to Sainsbury's looks just as bad, do these developers not think of the bigger picture and how these buildings will look in a few years time? 

Mark my words and I will give it 3 years or less and it will look rubbish.

My gut feeling is that this is not a good choice. I think a maintenance regime will be required with wood .... All well and good if effort is made .... we'll see ... I don't like the look of it tho. Just my view! 

Neither do I Roger, I'm not sure about the white/grey plastic shutters on the corner either what's that all about? I originally thought they were just covering the space where the glass windows wee going, so I am confused as to there purpose to be honest and I also think that they will start popping off or get storm damaged in time. I just think that the developers and architect could of made this much better with a bit more imagination.

It's looks like a shed and all of that wood looks **** and cheap, the other side looks better but too many bricks in my opinion, should of been beautiful glass all around that corner like somebody has already suggested.

It's looks like a shed and all of that wood looks **** and cheap, the other side looks better but too many bricks in my opinion, should of been beautiful glass all around that corner like somebody has already suggested.

I completely agree with everything you have written Alex, it's like they ran out of money edgar st side and someone suggested using a bit of timber  :Thumbs-Down:

I like wood, but yeah, it doesn't quite look right, it's missing something. But I also drove past and my initial thought was what it would look like after some time, normally goes green or a dirty grey unless treated properly - and we all know that you don't find "properly" and "Hereford Council" in the same sentence

I'm not sure about the white/grey plastic shutters on the corner either what's that all about? I originally thought they were just covering the space where the glass windows wee going,

Absolutely agree, I've been asking this question ever since they went up but - no surprises - I never get a reply.

Watch....

All councillors on this forum; what are those grey slats on the end of the OLM for? Will they be replaced with windows? Looks pretty aweful

Well spotted (and snapped) Colin!

I'd been clocking this eyesore ever since the steel frames were erected.  Then the builders came along and fixing the vertical timber bars (I assumed they were using tanalised timber).  Then post the rainy season they got up on cherry pickers and gave them another coating.  Yet after last week's rains they were already looking sad and bedraggled.

As Mr Littlejohn would say: "You couldn't make it up, could you?"

I agree with all the above comments - I also accept that vehicle fumes and smoke ( from car fires etc ) has to be "removed" somehow .

Having said that ,there must be other ways which serve the purpose and are pleasing on the eye , especially alongside this major through road .

Wood I believe is classed as sustainable so I suppose the developer is trying to be a little bit eco friendly.  Mind you for an appearance point of view the coated corrugated can now look very attractive. It would be easier to maintain and stay looking fresh over a longer period of time.  This wood will not age attractively and will be impossible to clean.   

Approved drawings show 10 x 'orchard tree' planting along the Edgar St elevation. NO other planting is shown. High level planting is indicated on the elevation to 'Auctioneers Walk'. It is noticeable that all of the artist's impressions of Newmarket Street do not show ANY traffic lights - when in fact we are to have dozens of the damned things.

Approved drawings show 10 x 'orchard tree' planting along the Edgar St elevation. NO other planting is shown. High level planting is indicated on the elevation to 'Auctioneers Walk'. It is noticeable that all of the artist's impressions of Newmarket Street do not show ANY traffic lights - when in fact we are to have dozens of the damned things.

NO other planting is shown   

Looking like some kind of Ivy to me 

http://www.imagebam.com/image/5a463c319411645

Three trees on the LH side of that image plus what is best described as a 'slip of the pen' I would say, which tries to break up the awfulness of the elevation. No cover planting indicated on the true elevations, but happy to be proved wrong. Of course planting needs maintenance, which costs money, which developers don't like spending so ...

@ Denise:  in small doses, sustainable timber structures can be attractive.  But this monstrosity is in another league altogether!  I feel very sorry for the poor Edgar Street residents, who will be greeted by this wooden eyesore every time they look out of their bedroom windows, especially after the ignominy of having to watch those 40--year-old Limes be butchered. 

My solution would be an intensive programme of nightime guerilla planting of fast-growing ivy!

Wood I believe is classed as sustainable so I suppose the developer is trying to be a little bit eco friendly.  Mind you for an appearance point of view the coated corrugated can now look very attractive. It would be easier to maintain and stay looking fresh over a longer period of time.  This wood will not age attractively and will be impossible to clean.   

Eco friendly WTF?? How many trees were cut down to create this fence on the side of the building? Eco friendly ha ha ha that's brilliant  :Hmm:

Ah well K Butt I am from Kingstone and you may or may not know there is a PA for many houses from Archihaus a very eco friendly sustainable company etc etc etc.They are using quite a lot of wood to clad their planned houses so I suppose it must be eco friendly etc etc.  Well that's what we were told anyway.

Timber is a crop like any other - it is planted, grown and harvested. In that respect it is renewable and whilst it is growing it is also pumping out oxygen and filtering the air of things like carbon dioxide. Trees do a load of other good things as well and when their time is up, if they're really unlucky, they end up on the side of a supermarket. There are good and bad timbers for cladding - too often the wrong ones are used (often substituted by cheapskate builders or developers from that specified) and they weather badly and look awful very quickly. Lets hope this hasn't happened here.