Welcome!

Be sure to register in order to take full advantage of all of the awesome features this forum has!

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Saving The Working Boys Home *UPDATE*

Herefordshire Council

• Please log in to reply
760 replies to this topic

#751 Ubique

Ubique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationWhere Right and Glory lead.

Posted 08 September 2016

Consulation Sept 8th .........Plans for view the same day ! ..........maybe I am wrong but it's more like this Council we have to live with !
Sir Winston Churchill-
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life".

#752 Cambo

Cambo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 08 September 2016

I went along to the consultation & my optimism was not unfounded,met with the architects in charge of the project...although there are no detailed plans as of yet what they are purposing seems acceptable as well as promising to me.

So what they are purposing is keeping the frontage including the memorial hall doing away with the later extensions at the back adding new extensions in place of those. Plus other new buildings to the rear separate from the old boys home with lots of foliage along with parking while reducing parking at the front while also improving the walkway that'd runs from bath street to central ave to allow bikes also.

Did anyone else go along? & if so what did you think of their plans.

#753 Glenda Vaughan-Powell

Glenda Vaughan-Powell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,789 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 10 September 2016

I have been reliably informed that these premises also known as the Bath Street Offices has been sold to Herefordshire Housing.

#754 dippyhippy

dippyhippy

Refugees Welcome!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful World Of Dippy!!

Posted 10 September 2016

Hi Glenda, yes, this information was posted by Aylestone Voice last month.

The consultation day was very interesting. The plans as they stand, are to keep the original and beautiful façade of the building. It will become 82 units of much needed social housing.

To me, this is the very best solution. If the façade - and therefore the character of the building -  can be incorporated, this will preserve a part of Hereford's cultural history.

Personally, I'm delighted at this proposal. It has made the battle to prevent it being demolished worthwhile.

Time to start a new chapter for The Working Boys Home.

Proud to be a tolerant and compassionate tree hugger. Blessed with common decency and humanity. Willing to speak up for those in need. Prepared to challenge the bigoted views which seem to be aired so freely.... 

Sending peace and love, to my fellow lefties.

#755 Aylestone Voice

Aylestone Voice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 02 November 2016

Do those who are interested in this know that there will be another public consultation tomorrow?

3 November 2016

Brierley Court Turner Street - 3pm to 6.30pm

#756 Cambo

Cambo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 03 November 2016

Do those who are interested in this know that there will be another public consultation tomorrow?
3 November 2016
Brierley Court Turner Street - 3pm to 6.30pm

I went along & had a look at the plans....on the whole I'm pleased with what they are going to do in retaining the frontage along with the mermoral hall.

However I am disappointed that they are not keeping the victorian industrial chimney as this is the last of its kind in Hereford so in my opinion should be preserved & incorporated into the design as it would be a unique feature especially when you considering that they are retaining the wall with the windows etc in the design down that side?

#757 greenknight

greenknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationAround the Table where all our equal

Posted 03 November 2016

I missed the chimney aspect Cambo but it's a far cry from where this could have gone...Thanks to those who cared enough. It would have probably been demolished otherwise.

#758 Cambo

Cambo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 03 November 2016

I missed the chimney aspect Cambo but it's a far cry from where this could have gone...Thanks to those who cared enough. It would have probably been demolished otherwise.

Don't get me wrong GK I'm more than happy with what they are doing but I also think that keeping the chimney is doable & would enhance the design if they had a roof starting part of the way down with the rest incased in glass with a spiral staircase running around part of it to accesses the upper floor.

But your not wrong it could all of ended up as a pile of rubble. But thankfully not.

#759 Denise Lloyd

Denise Lloyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 04 November 2016

Yes Cambo you and Dippy (where is she/he?) both worked hard to get this building  saved from being a pile of rubble - well done both 

Edited by Denise Lloyd, 04 November 2016 .

#760 ragwert

ragwert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationEreford

Posted 12 November 2016

Hfd Times a bit late http://www.herefordt...ng_development/

#761 Aylestone Voice

Aylestone Voice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 06 January 2017

https://www.hereford...term=registered in the last 7 days&search-service=recent&search-source=items&search-item=registered in the last 7 days

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Herefordshire Council

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users