Demolishing The Beattie Ave Flats

Colin James

Strewth, that gable wall is very precarious with the flank walls removed. I'm sure H&S would have had something to say about the proximity of the demolition to the road - as Rebecca says, closing the road should have been a must (if it wasn't closed).

The road was not closed the whole time, that's why the guys from DES were hanging around and at one point one of the windows exploded and glass just missed us, I was not expecting to able to get so close, you can see one of the guys sweeping it all up either on the video or in one of my photo's. H&S would of had a field day here today lol

Brilliant photos Colin!

More than a little surprised that the road wasn't closed - some years ago, a block of garages was demolished, and our road was closed for about 5 hours, the garages were only single storey!!

Were there any reporters from the Journal or HT present? It's quite a landmark event, it really should be covered in the local press!!

Windows have a life span of around 8-10 years, they had been installed  longer than this, also HH have not got any flats of this type that they could put them in.

I'd dispute the lifespan of a window Glenda ... But I agree that there is no salvage value, or use, for a Beattie Ave window frame/pane ... 

Roger, I asked HH about the life span of the windows and it is correct, I had my windows change in 2012 and they had been in place 10 years. I also asked if the rubble from the demolision of all these flat in the redevelopment was going to land fill, they said NO the stone will be crushed and sold to a reclamation yard, I suggested it could be used as hardcore beneath the foundations of the new units, I was told they would consider that.

Roger, I asked HH about the life span of the windows and it is correct, I had my windows change in 2012 and they had been in place 10 years. I also asked if the rubble from the demolision of all these flat in the redevelopment was going to land fill, they said NO the stone will be crushed and sold to a reclamation yard, I suggested it could be used as hardcore beneath the foundations of the new units, I was told they would consider that.

My Victorian windows are 110 years old and still in excellent condition - 10 years is a pathetic lifespan - an absolute minimum should be 25 years. You don't use hardcore under foundations - they bear on virgin ground (or are reinforced some way). I assume you mean under the floors - you would not use crushed hardcore for this because of possible contamination issues. If the ground is disturbed, a concrete beam and block system would likely be used. Crushed hardcore is however ideal for drives and paths.

All uPVC windows manufactured in the UK have to be made to Bsi BS-7413 & have an expected service life of over 40 years.