The New University - Herefordshire

megilleland

and the mostly costly at a mind boggling ...................

Herefordshires £450m university will have a "huge positive impact" on the countys economy, according to one of the people charged with building it.

Karen Usher, a trustee of the new engineering and technology university, was speaking ahead of next months Herefordshire Economic Forum, where she will be a speaker.

What will that be spent on, bearing in mind the 'No lectures, no exams, no text books' motto? Is this the projected start up cost? Niggling in the back of my mind is the Robert Owen Academy - similar brave new world, gung-ho attitude on launch,money seemingly no object, and look how that has turned out.

• 4 months later...

Item 430 on the Council land and property assets register

Land and buildings form part of Herefordshire Council's fixed asset register and details must be published under the Local Government Transparency Code.

Unique asset identity
WQAB    

Unique Property Reference Number    
2.00E+11

Name of the building/land
Hereford Shirehall St Peters Square    

Address
Shirehall St Peters Square Hereford HR1 2HX

Type of tenure    
Freehold

Tenure Category
Occupied by the local authority

No doubt this is listed it will probably also be like any property the Council have occupied - in a state!

I wonder will this be an asset transfer or will it be rented out to the Uni. The Council do like to pass our heritage around and I am quite offended that this information first came from the National News.

Now where does that leave Franklin House - also in a state! 

A little piece of Shire Hall history for anybody interested

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwibwua-6JDXAhUBNhoKHbrCBDI4ChAWCC4wAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.herefordtimes.com%2Fnews%2F15463174.Shire_Hall_to_open_historic_court_room_to_public%2F&usg=AOvVaw2XQyL_VZsUPtoyNuP5A7xF

If the University take over The Shire Hall I guess and it's only a guess that the County Council will take over the vacant Starbucks premises or even the old Chads premises or at great expense , build a new building at the side of the new "link road " very cheaply , or that's what they tell us . ( Any local Crown Court cases can be held at the Magistrates Court renaming it The Justice Centre )

I thought when the Council moved out of Brockington that £ms were spent on improving disabled access, decorating the Council chairman's office, buying new desks for council meetings, etc so that the Council meetings could be held in the Shirehall. If they have just improved the Shirehall for  Council functions, why then would they transfer it to the University? Does this council have no proper strategy for meetings and council functions? I thought that the Robert Owen school was improved at great expense to be taken over by the University when that came to fruition and as others have said that the Univ would have the Franklin Barnes Building - otherwise why spend nearly £2million on Blueschool House? Is anyone in charge at Herefordshire Council?

Looking at Shire Hall I cannot see how they can alter the interior structure without it affecting its Grade II listing. Interestingly Historic England list the building Grade II* (which puts it in the top 5.8% of listed buildings in England)

There are around 500,000 listed buildings on the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE)

Grade I buildings are of exceptional interest, only 2.5% of listed buildings are Grade I

Grade II* buildings are particularly important buildings of more than special interest; 5.8% of listed buildings are Grade II*

Grade II buildings are of special interest; 91.7% of all listed buildings are in this class and it is the most likely grade of listing for a home owner.

Also the Shire Hall Annexe is also listed Grade II.

Out of interest as this is a public asset on the council's property and asset register - what is the asset worth - any valuation?

Not sure where the idea of the university being sited in shirehall came from, but no one working for the council or councillors knew this before we read it here! There will be several buildings across the city and ultimately the county that will be connected to the university over the years. As is the case with the university of Gloucester and many others.

At the moment the office is in south Wye but I suggest that if we look around St. Peter’s Square, we may see a vacant property that has been used for offices before!!

Well ragwort may be right but the Shirehall is a Council/ law courts building. Nothing to do with the university . The £ms is to go on converting etc buildings across the city. The tv interview was done from St. Peters Square but I dont think that is significant. It is not a council project, the council only helped to facilitate the coming of this important county asset, but if I was a betting man, and thought one of the uni buildings might be going to be in St. Peters Sq, I would suggest it would be in the former Connects building!!

On 29/10/2017 at 18:04, Chris Chappell said:

Well ragwort may be right but the Shirehall is a Council/ law courts building. Nothing to do with the university . The £ms is to go on converting etc buildings across the city. The tv interview was done from St. Peters Square but I dont think that is significant. It is not a council project, the council only helped to facilitate the coming of this important county asset, but if I was a betting man, and thought one of the uni buildings might be going to be in St. Peters Sq, I would suggest it would be in the former Connects building!!

Would it not have been a good idea to either convert/ demolish once empty the police station or even the bus station and that God damn awful old Cinema night club once relocated.

From the HT today 1600hrs.

Interesting developments , .........

" Herefordshire's new university has announced that it will be based at the Shire Hall and in St Peter's Square. Do you think this is the right location for the university's headquarters? "

The HT are carrying out a Poll / Survey .. Guess I know the result !

On 29/10/2017 at 09:20, Chris Chappell said:

Not sure where the idea of the university being sited in shirehall came from, but no one working for the council or councillors knew this before we read it here! There will be several buildings across the city and ultimately the county that will be connected to the university over the years. As is the case with the university of Gloucester and many others.

At the moment the office is in south Wye but I suggest that if we look around St. Peters Square, we may see a vacant property that has been used for offices before!!

Obviously not kept in the loop Chris!

Councillors received email from Leader last evening, following HT report and councillors saying what is all this about, to say that nothing has been decided about Shirehall, it is only one of several wish list buildings, that university are looking at in the area.

The judges have for some years been trying, with support from some councillors, to retain the law courts in Hereford. The council needs the officers closed by for members support and legal teams, and their is barely enough parking space now,so I would have thought that the Shirehall is not a serious contender!

• 1 year later...