Oval Regeneration Demolition Begins...

Colin James

Gareth,the flats in Beattie Ave were always coming down first, before any other flats come down the houses on the vortex site will be built to enable families to move in. As I advised you I have a meeting with HHL Oval Management Team on 27th February we should have up to date information  about the redevelopment at that meeting, I will then put it on my website.   Glenda

Hi, I would like to ask:

1. Wonder how much of the Demolition material will go in land fill?

2. What are going to happen long term to the prefebs, far older then the flats?

Hello Mike and I see you are a new member so first of all welcome to HV. I had the same discussion with someone only yesterday, surely those pre fabs have well out lasted their initial life span? So yes some good questions.

Hello Mike and I see you are a new member so first of all welcome to HV. I had the same discussion with someone only yesterday, surely those pre fabs have well out lasted their initial life span? So yes some good questions.

wello they are only meant to last up to 10 years, think it be ideal for  a good 3 story block all along

Mike, welcome to Hereford Voice.

1. I will check on the landfil situation, having a meeting with Herefordshire Housing on 27th so will ask then.

2. The prefabs were built after WW2, so they are approx 60 years old. There is no plans for them at the moment, they were rendered around 12 years ago and new roofs, kitchen and bathrooms were installed. These days the majority of them have elderly and /or disabled people living in them, some have been adapted or built on at the rear to accomodate the tenants needs, again this is a question I can ask on 27th Feb.  There will be another modern 3 storey block of flats built on the site of the one's coming down and another to match on the other side of the road. May I suggest you go into Herefordshire Housing website and click onto the page for the regeneration of the Oval, you will see the plans and design of all properties to be built there.                        

The flats in Beatie avenue were built about 1946 then in 1947/50 the ones in Kilvert Road, Jubilee court and Belmont Road. In fact the flats behind Jubilee court are the oldest of the Newton Farm flats.

The prefabs in Hunderton were built for families who were bombed in the cities and the men were demobbed within the Marches area.

The bungalows in Beatie avenue built for injured servicemen and thier families.

When I was born my mum had to catch a bus serving outlying villages, apparently Wednesdays and Saturdays.

I had photographs of my Dutch uncle (no pun) working on the Cornish flats in Kilvert road.

I own one of the 2 storey flats off Kilvert Road they are 66 years old, so they are older than all of them including the prefabs, although they are built with re-enforced concrete like the prefabs they were built to last. There are also 3 bedroom prefabs in Putson but they have all been bricked with the exception of a few facing Holme Lacy road who still look the same because they were bought many years ago before they were modernised.

The flats in Beatie avenue were built about 1946 then in 1947/50 the ones in Kilvert Road, Jubilee court and Belmont Road. In fact the flats behind Jubilee court are the oldest of the Newton Farm flats.

The prefabs in Hunderton were built for families who were bombed in the cities and the men were demobbed within the Marches area.

The bungalows in Beatie avenue built for injured servicemen and thier families.

When I was born my mum had to catch a bus serving outlying villages, apparently Wednesdays and Saturdays.

I had photographs of my Dutch uncle (no pun) working on the Cornish flats in Kilvert road.

Please dig them out and post them on here I would love to see some old photographs, thanks for the info.  :Thumbs-Up:

I wondered what was going on. It's about time they knocked these old flats down, I wish that they would do the same at the Oval and rebuild with new, can't believe that the council are not doing that because they are frightened that the shops will not come back! Not a lot of confidence then...

All of the flats around the Oval are coming down, it is a 6 year programme, but the shops will not go they will be modernised as well as the flats above to a high standard. There are 2,3,and 4 bedroom houses being built with 14 bungalows that I asked to be included in the re-development, as well as two blocks of flats, one to replace the ones being demolished in Beattie Ave the other in Goodrich Grove. There will be eleven houses built on the church site they are all to buy. I will get up to date information next week at the housing management group that I attend to help the tenants with their move etc.

Taken from the Hereford Housing Website:

The Oval – our biggest ever development programme

The Oval Development represents a major multi-million pound programme of improvement and regeneration across an area that includes Kilvert Road, Broxash Drive, Belmont Road and Beattie in Hereford. The largest and most ambitious initiative we’ve ever undertaken, it involves demolition, new build and refurbishment and will transform the area by creating a sustainable community which improves choices and life chances for residents.

In 2009, we set up The Oval Re-development Steering Group which involves residents and other stakeholders to ensure that our customers and the community is at the heart of the project. We involve them every step of the way. The work is on-going, but key developments include:

• Site investigations, including the drilling of boreholes to check ground conditions
  • Redesign of the block on Beattie Avenue
  • New designs for balconies on several blocks following customer feedback
  • The inclusion of both the vortex land and St Frances Church site, following discussions with Herefordshire Council

If you live in or near the development, we will tell you well in advance what is going to happen. The local Neighbourhood Officer is always on hand to answer your questions.

• 2 weeks later...