SCOOT and the 9 seconds lights

ragwert

the Tesco roundabout is a nightmare at the moment heading south. If you want to head for the A49, nothing is clearing from the left hand lane as it cannot get down Newmarket St and cars are blocking the yellow box junction. I have taken to avoiding it for now .... its quicker to go via Whitecross and join the queue in Barton Rd.

the Tesco roundabout is a nightmare at the moment heading south. If you want to head for the A49, nothing is clearing from the left hand lane as it cannot get down Newmarket St and cars are blocking the yellow box junction. I have taken to avoiding it for now .... its quicker to go via Whitecross and join the queue in Barton Rd.

I was there at 5.45 pm tonight ... southbound ... Started queuing at The Courtyard then having eventually got to the island there was no traffic at all in the third lane .... Carnage everywhere else tho! 

Anyone notice we have even more bloody traffic lights installed on the Edgar St / Blackfriars St junction

What's wrong with putting a roundabout here instead

This is what Colin and the new Hereford Reunited Group have been banging on about.

What's wrong with putting a roundabout here instead

That would be suicide. You'd get people sitting ON the roundabout because those coming out of Blackfriars would cut in front of those coming up Edgar Street towards tescos, consequently those coming up edgar street would sit on the roundabout so as to make headway and subsequently block those going down edgar street wanting to turn right into blackfriars

When you look at it, the long delays are ON edgar street. Before isn't too bad, after the tesco roundabout is fine. 

It's quite clear, with the most minute amount of common sense, that there is TOO MUCH traffic on Edgar Street. No amount of lights, roundabouts, sleeping police men or surveys is going to make a blind bit of difference. Traffic reduction needs to be done by providing suitable alternative routes.

In fact, since they added that 3rd lane, for whatever reason, I believe the traffic southbound on Edgar Street has become worse.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

OK.Anyone out there from Herefordshire Council please respond to this post.
We have had this SCOOT system I think since 1986 and we pay something like £22,000 a year for its upkeep.
Can you find out why we are still paying for something not just outdated but also broken.It's been broken for over 10 years has been set on two time sequences for all that time.
The diagram below shows how this system works,clearly it's not doing this.

post-918-0-77891700-1432591909.gif

There are so many lights spaced so close to each other on major routes that if the scoot system compensated then would it not screw up the lights 50 yards away? There are just too many cars/traffic lights to cope I think. Only answer is to build 1000 new homes to feed into Whitecross Road .... Should sort out the issue overnight! :-P

The lights are as dumb as the people we pay to manage them, or is it the other way round? Evening walk down the Maylords slip road last night - Maylords shut, a bus once an hour maybe, so no traffic at all, yet I watched the lights onto Blueschool St cycle through stop/go three times to an empty road, holding up moving traffic on Blueschool St for absolutely no reason. This is happening all the time all over the City - the cost to business and the environment (and public health) is massive and that we're handing over money for nothing is the final straw. I believe our Scoot is 'managed' by Worcs CC as a leftover from the old merged authority. Worcester has a working up to date Scoot.

I've complained about this in the past to councillors and council highways officers - nothing happens, no one cares enough to do anything, they get paid regardless. But then its politically expedient to have standing traffic in the city isn't it? 

You can sit and wait in the early morning or late evening for the lights in Commercial Road/Station Approach junction to run through their phases with not another vehicle coming out of Station Approach or Brook retail park.

If I had a pound for every 5 minutes I have sat waiting at this junction I could but them a new scoot system!

Why would Herefordshire Council want to solve the traffic problems in Hereford? If you remember they reversed the traffic on Broad St/King St when the public warned them it would make things worse. They then had to reverse it back.

Surely the Council's intention is to make Hereford so bad for congestion that the Council can try and justify to spending millions on new roads as a solution to the problem. Wait until they start on the new link road in Hereford and put up yet another set of traffic lights on Edgar St. I think this new link road is supposed to have 4 sets of traffic lights at least. I often wonder now if Hereford City Centre now has more traffic lights than trees!

Wait until they start on the new link road in Hereford and put up yet another set of traffic lights on Edgar St. I think this new link road is supposed to have 4 sets of traffic lights at least. I often wonder now if Hereford City Centre now has more traffic lights than trees!

There may be something I've missed but inbound traffic from Worcester will be encouraged to turn right onto the new link road. That goes right at the bottom of Aylestone Hill.

rail_bridge.jpg

The right turn light phase is quite short there. Plus that railway bridge is very narrow. 

When the link road is built there will be no right turn into Barrs Court Road from Aylestone Hill and no right turn out of Barrs Court Road into Aylestone Hill. You will only be able to turn left into Barrs Court Road (coming out of town) and only turn left coming out of Barrs Court Road.

There may be something I've missed but inbound traffic from Worcester will be encouraged to turn right onto the new link road. That goes right at the bottom of Aylestone Hill.

The right turn light phase is quite short there. Plus that railway bridge is very narrow. 

According to the approved drawing, there will be two lanes turning right here, one lane straight on.

Yes, the bridge is a bottleneck, but no one is going to pay the cost of widening that.

Maggie May - I make it a potential 7 sets of lights, but the approved drawing conveniently doesn't show any ...

And imagine everyone's surprise, and then anger, on reaching Edgar Street to realise they can only turn left!  That’s right, left only! What fun that will be ...

According to the approved drawing, there will be two lanes turning right here, one lane straight on.

Yes, the bridge is a bottleneck, but no one is going to pay the cost of widening that.

Maggie May - I make it a potential 7 sets of lights, but the approved drawing conveniently doesn't show any ...

Have you got a link to a computer friendly zoomable map ?

However it's dressed up that railway bridge is a real problem. There's going to be a vast increase in traffic turning right. And I can see the traffic just backing up Aylestone Hill as it can only get to those increased lanes by going over that narrow bridge. If you increase the right turn light phase then traffic is going to back up down Commercial Road. 

Basically another road through the town centre will just generate more traffic going through the middle. The congestion will just shift about and increase. Especially when 800 new homes are associated with the project. 

Roger - go to https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/planning-and-building-control/development-control/planning-applications

and search for CE092576/F, go to drawings, look for 'Public Realm Masterplan' - this is the easiest to understand.

The permission expired on 30 March - has a material start been made? Have all the conditions been discharged? It doesn't seem so.

From Planning: "I would draw your attention to Conditions 9, 21 and 22 the discharge of which currently remains outstanding.  These must be complied with prior to the commencement of the development." That was Dec 2014 - nothing else on file.

I agree - whichever you dress it up, it is still a crossroads and there will still be delays.

When the link road is built there will be no right turn into Barrs Court Road from Aylestone Hill and no right turn out of Barrs Court Road into Aylestone Hill. You will only be able to turn left into Barrs Court Road (coming out of town) and only turn left coming out of Barrs Court Road.

So with this being a favourite rat run for many coming across from South Bank Road/Bodenham Road ( my wife included ) what will be the plan now..add to the traffic along Folly Lane, Venns Lane?

Based on the destination of the new road and the bridge pinchpoint that's one road we will rarely use.