Left Bank Sold to "Local" Family

Biomech

So reports the HT Here

I "" local because I don't know how local or who they are - according to the Knorr gravy advert, 70 miles away is "local" :P

Anyway, risky business, but well done to them for having the balls to invest in a side of the city that the council has left to squander.

Here's hoping they get the work done swiftly and have some nice things back up and running. Personally, I think the resturaunt and bars were fantastic, ideal for the locality and, from an investment and development point of view, a good cheap bet.

Notice that there is some movement on the other side of Greyfriars Bridge with the submission of a Planning Application in the local press 9th January 2014.

Planning public notices
It is a legal requirement for the council to give public notice of certain types of planning application and other planning matters by the display of an advert in a local newspaper.

P133306/F P, SL, AC 

Erection of 18 nos. apartments, associated parking and a bat shelter building. at Site at Campions Restaurant, Greyfriars Avenue, Hereford

Application Types: 
P - Planning permission 
AC - Conservation Area Consent 
SL - Affecting the setting of a Listed Building 

The application, plans and other documents can be seen at:- 

Applications can be viewed at the Council’s Customer Service Centres 
If you wish to make representations or comments you can during the period of 21 days 
beginning with the date of the publication of this notice quoting the relevant number: 

* By the Website: Using the online comment form 
* By e-mail to: planning_enquiries@herefordshire.gov.uk 
* By post to: - Planning Services, PO Box 230, Hereford, HR1 2ZB 

ANDREW ASHCROFT (Assistant Director) – 9th January 2014 

I thought this had been up before the planners and withdrawn for some reason a few years ago. Here is  a montage of what the development could look like:

post-2-0-25261400-1390148443_thumb.jpg

Notice that there is some movement on the other side of Greyfriars Bridge with the submission of a Planning Application in the local press 9th January 2014.

Planning public notices
It is a legal requirement for the council to give public notice of certain types of planning application and other planning matters by the display of an advert in a local newspaper.

I thought this had been up before the planners and withdrawn for some reason a few years ago. Here is  a montage of what the development could look like:

attachicon.gifPhotograph-campions-1.jpg

At least it does not look like that hideous factory look building on the Newmarket roundabout

Earlier schemes for high density (40+) units in an innovative and very green design were refused. A subsequent mediocre design for 14 flats over 5 storeys (which blocked long views of St Nicholas Church) was approved. This application seeks to increase numbers and add another storey in a similar mediocre style - and still blocking the views - note that it is 'designed' by a former local Planing Officer! 

• 5 months later...
Update:

Hereford Times: Thursday 17th July 2014 in News

As revealed by the Hereford Times in April, the lease of the riverside complex has been bought by the Waring family, who run Lyde Court.

A series of launch nights will be celebrate the opening, while a number of businesses have booked their Christmas parties at the Bridge Street site.

And, the Left Bank is also set to host its first wedding on New Year's Eve next year.

Lucy Carter and Nick Freeman said that they always loved going to the venue and wanted the venue for their special day.

"It has quite a contemporary feel and I like the surroundings – it embraces Hereford," said Lucy.

"Nick was at an event at the Left Bank on New Year's Eve four years ago and we met on New Year's Day.

"We've therefore always wanted to get married at new year."

Gary Waring said that the interest in the Left Bank during the past few months has been 'phenomenal'.

Mr Waring added that Charles' Bar will re-open in late November, initially from Thursdays to Saturdays, with the restaurant opening on a 'pop-up' basis.

"Celebrity cooks will no doubt make an appearance, but Herefordshire is already blessed with young catering teams," said Mr Waring.

"There is nobody in Herefordshire that doesn’t know the value of the Left Bank to the county."

The complex was bought in January by the Lively family, through their Cathedral View Investment business.

It was previously owned by Nottingham-based Bramcote Holdings and was later placed on the open market with a guide price of £1.25million.

The bar and restaurant complex endured a chequered history after its founder Albert Heijn sold the business in 2007.

It resulted in the venue shutting in 2009 before a second effort to make the business work saw it close suddenly before Christmas the following year. Left Bank has remained closed ever since.

This should help to pull people back to this side of town.

• 2 months later...
The Left Bank appear to have crossed the council already. What with an £80,000 a year rate bill to pay and all the hoops that the authorities want them to jump through who would want to run a business in these times, especially when you can set up rate free in the OLM. Best of luck to them.

The Licensing Authority must object to the licence as applied for. It is disappointing that the applicant appears to have failed to consider the Authority’s Policy which would have directed them to the ‘Model Pool of Conditions’ and ensured that suitably worded conditions were offered. 

Regulatory Sub Committee

Thursday 23 October 2014 11.00 am

Additional documents:

Megillland , having read the "Additional Documents" I can only agree with you .

Whilst I know nothing about Licensing Applications common sense tells me that the Left Bank are employing a Solicitor to deal with the Application who one would hope would be following the correct policy etc.expected by the Council and Police.

Basically what you see in this is that certain Council officers are so fixated by applying rules and regulations without any flexibility (even when the Police are happy). They fail to see that through their actions they are not putting people off setting up business in the city.

Hopefully as in the case of other requests the Councillors on the Regulatory Committee will make the right decision

I am afraid you cannot leave it to the proprietor to run his own business - everyone needs a piece of the action. I had a similar problem renovating a building to a small hotel and installing a bar while applying for a licence. Time was of the essence and I had to wait for a site visit from the licensing committee, but got ticked off by them for starting the installation before the application came before their committee. Then there was the Tourism Board, Local Conservation Officer, English Heritage, Fire Brigade, Evironmental Health, Business Rates, Employment Law and also the Bank. The feeling I got was that the authorities want to impose more expense on the business and felt it necessary to procastinate and delay over matters when you wanted a response. I did it for 11 years, but never again - a clip board job is far better.

Friday 24 October 2014 in Hereford News by Paul Broome

A BID to allow an iconic Hereford venue to serve alcohol 24 hours a day has been branded "thoughtless" by a licensing boss.

Fred Spriggs, licensing officer for Herefordshire Council, made the remarks during a meeting to discuss granting a premises licence to the Left Bank, on Bridge Street, which has been closed since 2010.

He objected to the bid which was later approved by the council's Regulatory Sub-Committee after applicant Gary Waring reduced alcohol sales to 3am.

"We have looked at this in detail," Mr Spriggs told the committee.

"The application has been made without a lot of thought.

"It is a case of applying for everything 24 hours a day."

He said when considering granted a licence, the committee must be aware of the "avoidance of public nuisance".

The licence allows Mr Waring, who owns Lyde Court, to stage live and recorded music inside the venue until 3am each day. Outdoor live and recorded music must end by midnight.

But Heath Thomas, who represented Mr Waring, said the public nuisance element should not come into it.

"You have no evidence before you of any crime or disorder when the Left Bank owners operated to 1.30am under the old licence," he told the committee.

He called the Left Bank "one of Hereford's most premier venues", adding it attracts international businesses including Heineken which has said it wants to use the Left Bank for team building events and functions.

Mr Thomas also hinted at the prospect of a pop-up restaurant there featuring top chefs.

"It is clear that they (the applicants) have looked at all the policies," he said.

"They will risk assess all their functions.

"Not one comment has been received against this from a member of the public. Mr Waring has only had positive comments."

As well as the alcohol and music restrictions, the applicant also agreed to a number of conditions including an incident log being kept on site and no noise coming from the premises which may "cause a nuisance".

Speaking after the committee granted permission, Mr Thomas said he was happy for this client.

"I'm delighted and pleased the committee listened to how we intend to meet the licensing objectives.

"It gives the Left Bank a good footing from which to start."

The venue is expected to re-open in November.

Although a legal requirement, looks like the council do not like the responses to the form filling. Maybe they did want to serve alcohol 24 hours a day.