How Many Empty Shops In Hereford 2014?

Colin James

I'll guess 35 Colin.

I imagine one of the biggest factors in running a business on the high street is the business rates. Check out what these people have to pay on the VOA site. This figure is based on 2008 rental values which at that time were at their peak. The government decided not to have a revaluation because they knew market rentals would be low and business rates would have to come down as well. You can find a post code to enter in the search from here:

How is my business rates bill calculated?

Larger businesses (rateable value £18,000 or over)
To calculate a business rates bill, the rateable value is multiplied by the national multiplier. This is set by central government each year.

For the financial year 2013/14 it is £0.471 pence in the pound.

Therefore, if your rateable value is £20,000 your business rates bill would be £9,420.

Small business rate relief multiplier (less than £18,000)
Small businesses whose rateable value is less than £18,000 and who qualify for small business rate relief are charged rates using a lower multiplier.

For 2013/14 the lower multiplier is £0.462 pence in the pound.

Therefore, if you qualify for small business rate relief and your rateable value is £12,000 your full rates bill would be £5,544.

If you wish to query any aspect of your bill, please contact the business rates team on 01432 260373.

In the Hereford Times (p2, 26th December edition):

"Receivers  have been appointed to Hereford's Maylord shopping centre with existing tenants facing an investigation into their occupancy rights"

Beyond Retail

Redefining the shape and purpose of town centres

November 2013

Page 28 - Business Rates

There is already considerable industry debate and lobbying from the retail and property industry around the need for business rates reform. Reform is urgently required to address regional inequalities that have arisen out of the current five year review process. Central Government has already taken action to provide relief from the impact of business rates. These actions have included increasing the amount of small business rate relief for a temporary period and allowing local councils to introduce and fund local business rate discounts.

It is nonetheless clear that, in many towns, retail business rates now account for a disproportionately high percentage of total occupancy costs for retailers. This has been exacerbated by the fact that current business rate levels are based on 2008 rental levels — pre-recession and at the peak of the market. This has resulted in the current level of business rates being out of step with the economic cycle.

The majority of retail locations outside of London have seen rental decline since 2008. For Great Britain as a whole, rents have fallen by 15% in nominal terms (26% in real terms). The delay of the business rates revaluation from 2015 to 2017 has simply extended an inequitable situation whereby, in effect, poor performing towns in the Midlands and North are subsidising the stronger performing locations in London and the South.

High business rates are just one of the factors that have contributed to the high level of retailer administrations over the last four years. It is also undoubtedly a factor in deterring new entrants and start-up independents looking at gaining a High Street presence, although Small Business Rate Reflief may apply.

Solutions

With the evolving multi-channel retail sector dynamic, the business rates system needs to be reformed to return a sense of equity to contributing businesses and, in particular, better reflect the balance of taxation levied on physical and pure online retailers.

In the long term, an independent review of the business rates system is required to determine how relevant it is for the collection of taxes to pay for local services given today’s, and critically tomorrow’s, retail business model. More regular revaluations are required to better reflect the changing economic and business environment. There should be consideration of other models, taking examples from abroad.

In the medium term, property owner contributions to Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) should be made compulsory, initially in London, where the legislation allows, and then further afield, where there is agreement for owners to participate.

In the short term, business rates discounts should be widely promoted to incentivise investment in town centres. This can be funded via the Regional Growth Fund, as is happening in Bradford, or through investing capital reserves where the strength of the public sector balance sheet allows. The annual uplift should also be fixed at no more than 2% — Government’s target for inflation — until 2017. This is something a number of organisations have been calling for over the past few years, including the BCSC and the Association of Convenience Stores (ACS), and has recently been taken up by the CBI and the BRC.

"In the short term, business rates discounts should be widely promoted to incentivise investment in town centres". What is the situation in Hereford - any councillors give us some figures?

G rowberry is not a shop anymore.It was bought in an auction earlier this year and plans are to convert into flats.
The empty Phase eight store and the two empty shops next to it have been sold to a development company.
The empty unit that was subway and the unit next to it have been knocked into one and will open as a furniture store early next year.
There are around 260 shop units in the City with around 20 empty

A very depressing photo gallery, Colin.  In October, the British Retailers Association (which monitors empty shops in high streets) said that the national average of vacant shop units was just over 11%.  In High Town the figure is currently 20%!

Another load of complete crap from our good friend Grid knocker.

In fact national average is 17.3%.They reported Hereford has one of the lowest percentage of empty shops in the UK at around 9%.

The Maylords situation is a worry.

Will, I do believe on another thread you replied to a query that all of the units within the OLM are now let, can you tell us who is going to be occupying them?

I find it hard to believe that this didn't herald some sort of fan fare moment, if they are all let, why are they keeping quiet about it??

Colin, did you venture down as far as Bridge Street / King Street??

Will, I do believe on another thread you replied to a query that all of the units within the OLM are now let, can you tell us who is going to be occupying them?

I find it hard to believe that this didn't herald some sort of fan fare moment, if they are all let, why are they keeping quiet about it??

No dippy only the city centre but I will have a look later if I get time.  :Happy_32:

As of Oct all but the K1 K2 K3 units were let /advanced neg. You will know pretty soon.I have asked Patrick from the PR dept what these small units are for,my guess is they are seasonal units like ice cream parlour etc.

Hi Will, thanks for the info!

Seasonal units? Could you explain a little more? Are these pitches, rather than units? If they are units, does this mean they will only be trading for part of the year, how does this work then?

How big in terms of floor space are the K1,K2 and K3 units? 

Sorry to bombard you with questions, its just when a statement like "all units are let, and have been for quite a while" is made, it would be nice to have a little more detail, to back it up!

Hope your Christmas went well, and your daughter has fully recovered from her accident.

A few more...

23. Belmont Road Hereford.jpg

24. Bewel Street Hereford 2.jpg

25. Bewel Street Hreford.jpg

26. Bridge St Hereford.jpg

27. Bridge Street Hereford 2.jpg

28. Bridge Street Hereford 3.jpg

29. St Nicholas Street Hereford.jpg

30. Church Street Hereford.jpg

31. East Street Hereford.jpg

32. High Town Hereford 5.jpg

33. St Owen Street Hereford.jpg

34. Widemarsh Street Hereford 4.jpg

35. King Street Hereford.jpg

36. Commercial Road Hereford.jpg

37. Widemarsh Street Hereford 5.JPG

38. Widemarsh Street Hereford 6.JPG

39. Lamberts.jpg

40. Maylordsrestaurant.jpg

41. Next.jpg

There is also the shop that used to be a gym or salon at the back of the Green Dragon in Aubrey Street, I will try and get a photo later which would make 42 empty shops

Thanks for this Colin. All of these images do really back up what Grid Knocker was saying in an earlier post.

I think we are pretty much on the way to 20%, and I suppose if we factored in units which remain un let within the Butter Market, this is probably a realistic figure.

I am sure someone will say, ah well....this isn't classed as High Town, or some such thing. Truth is, however you try to fudge the figures, empty shops are empty shops!

You can't argue with the photographic evidence you have so kindly provided us with.

Its a real shame, that the majority of those closed are independents.

@ 'Ragwert' (sic).  The British Retail Consortium's all-England town centre high street vacancy figure is 11.3%.  In Hereford's High Town, 20% of all the shop units are currently empty. 

That seems to indicate to me that things are worse than the national average.  And this is three months before the disastrous impact which established traders in the city will feel when the gruesome Edgar Street Grid is opened! 

Hi Will, thanks for the info!

Seasonal units? Could you explain a little more? Are these pitches, rather than units? If they are units, does this mean they will only be trading for part of the year, how does this work then?

How big in terms of floor space are the K1,K2 and K3 units? 

Sorry to bombard you with questions, its just when a statement like "all units are let, and have been for quite a while" is made, it would be nice to have a little more detail, to back it up!

Hope your Christmas went well, and your daughter has fully recovered from her accident.

Yeah they are very small units,something like 3x3 mtrs and could be pitches.As I said I have asked someone I know from the PR dept and am waiting for a reply,when I find out will let you know.

There is a white board floor plan on the wall in the Newmarket tavern showing all units bar the K units filled.As to how I know this I'll let your imagination run wild.

Had a great Christmas thanks and daughter has just stopped using crutches and is a lot better.

@ 'Ragwert' (sic).  The British Retail Consortium's all-England town centre high street vacancy figure is 11.3%.  In Hereford's High Town, 20% of all the shop units are currently empty. 

That seems to indicate to me that things are worse than the national average.  And this is three months before the disastrous impact which established traders in the city will feel when the gruesome Edgar Street Grid is opened! 

Grid knocker...It was in the Hereford Times some eight months ago.If you think that the new development will not bring more people into the City to shop then I must be missing something.

And please we live in a City

Yes Glenda, I was wondering that myself!

To be honest, I couldn't believe how busy they were in there the last couple of times I've been into town. It must be a concern to the staff that they have employed.

Don't forget TK Maxx will be shutting up shop to move across to the new development as well.

What is the proposed opening date now?

How about adding The Palace Restaurant that was run by Denny on Commercial Road. Empty for years! Looks a total dump. There was some activity there a couple of years ago then nothing! 

Hmmm, I know Denny very well, great guy, he was at my wedding 23 years ago so we go back a long way but not sure it is considered a shop though, that is/was a restaurant and would possibly come under another topic at some point.

megilleland said:

I'll guess 35 Colin.

Latest tot up of your empty shops pics Colin:

Belmont Road 1
Bewell Street 2
Bridge Street 3
Church Street 1
Commercial Road 1
Commercial Street 6
East Street 1
Eign Gate 3
High Town 4 
King Street 1
St Nicholas Street 1
St Owen Street 1
St Peters Street 2
Union Street 4
Widemarsh Street 5

Total = 36 empty shops

Latest tot up of your empty shops pics Colin:

Belmont Road 1
Bewell Street 2
Bridge Street 3
Church Street 1
Commercial Road 1
Commercial Street 6
East Street 1
Eign Gate 3
High Town 4 
King Street 1
St Nicholas Street 1
St Owen Street 1
St Peters Street 2
Union Street 4
Widemarsh Street 5

Total = 36 empty shops

Yep, I will add the rest tomorrow if I get time because there are the ones in Maylord Orchards. I have already numbered the empty stores if you have a look but I do like the way you have calculated each street Martin, gives a better idea.

Oh what a depressing picture this all paints - exactly what you lot seem to want. Nothing like a good moan.

Lets look to the future - we have major companies, Waitrose and Debenhams, with the confidence to open in the City. They would not have gone elsewhere in the centre as there are no suitable sites.

Yes its a shame that TK Maxx and H & M are moving but they are not closing and change happens. Two shops have just opened in Church Street and two on your list will be reoccupied soon. But nothing should be let to get in the way of your agenda which is to continually talk the city down.

Rant over!