Herefordshire Council CCTV Successfully Bids For Funding

Colin James

Some good news for once...

Security-Camera-HV.png

Council CCTV successfully bids for funding

20 December 2013

Herefordshire Council is delighted to have been successful in bidding for funding to continue its CCTV service across the county.

The funding has been awarded by the West Mercia Police and Crime Commissioner Bill Longmore, after the council submitted an application in October.  The council will receive £84,000 in each of the next three financial years.

Additional funding of £20,000 has also been secured for the current financial year.

Shane Hancock, Herefordshire Council’s service manager parking and CCTV, said: “We are delighted to have been awarded such a substantial amount of funding from the West Mercia Police and Crime Commissioner.  This will allow the council to not only secure a new three year monitoring contract, but also to continue real time proactive monitoring of our 40 cameras across the county.

“It is a clear indication that the commissioner values the CCTV service provided for residents and partner organisations, such as West Mercia Police.”

Good news indeed!

I have absolutely no problem with CCTV, I am of the opinion that if you're doing nothing wrong, then it doesn't matter if you are filmed.

I do hope though, that the quality of the images can be improved. Too often a crime is committed, and the CCTV images that are released, are so grainy, that you'd be hard pressed to be able to recognise anyone!

Good news indeed!

I have absolutely no problem with CCTV, I am of the opinion that if you're doing nothing wrong, then it doesn't matter if you are filmed.

I do hope though, that the quality of the images can be improved. Too often a crime is committed, and the CCTV images that are released, are so grainy, that you'd be hard pressed to be able to recognise anyone!

Yes with you on all you have said about CCTV dippy  :Thumbs-Up:

Whilst it is good news about extra funding for CCTV in Hereford, that does not mean additional CCTV will be installed, that said I have put in a request for CCTV on the GWW to complete the work I had done in September cutting back of undergrowth and trees, lighting renewed etc, due to people and children being attacked up there, the latest was three weeks ago in broad daylight, the lady sustained injuries and was admitted into hospital.

I have no problem with CCTV , fully aware that it needs funding from somewhere , Just wondering where the PCC gets the money from - is it Central Government or closer to home ?

The Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) receive funding from a number of sources including Home office (Policing Grant and Various other grants), Office for Communities and Local Government (Various Grants) and Precept (Council Tax). 

The budget requirement of the Police and Crime Commissioner for West Mercia (The Commissioner) of £202.9 million is funded partly through government grants and business rates, and partly by direct precept on West Mercia council tax payers. In 2013/2014, central government funding accounts for 64% of total resources.

The Government Grant for Community Safety will be topped up to provide a Community Safety Fund of £2m in 2013/14, from resources held for community safety within the former Police Authority budget, from savings within the Commissioner’s own budget, and from reserves. 

h) That the Chief Executive to the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for West Mercia be authorised to issue Precepts Notices on the West Mercia billing authorities as follows: 

Â£ 
Bromsgrove District Council    6,037,967.62 
Herefordshire Council       11,481,348.10 
Malvern Hills District Council  4,973,448.75 
Redditch Borough Council      4,251,323.44 
Shropshire Council               17,743,259.04 
Telford and Wrekin Council     7,723,688.62 
Worcester City Council           5,179,663.04 
Wychavon District Council      7,781,997.81 
Wye Forest District Council    5,382,867.68 
TOTAL                                 £70,555,564.10

Financial Resources p48 to p50 and p57 to p58

Unfortunately, CCTV doesn't stop you getting your face kicked in, stabbed or robbed.

I'm not so like minded, but appreciate the win for funding.

No you are correct the same as speed camera's do not stop people from speeding but it is a deterrent and will help identify any criminals. They have to work on better quality images though and in this day of technology 1080p Full HD is easy enough with the right equipment.

No you are correct the same as speed camera's do not stop people from speeding but it is a deterrent and will help identify any criminals. They have to work on better quality images though and in this day of technology 1080p Full HD is easy enough with the right equipment.

Indeed, a large portion of CCTV footage is too bad of quality to be submissible as evidence in court. It's not really a deterrent as crime continues regardless, it certainly doesn't put off those who want to commit crimes. However, it can aid in collecting evidence. I believe there was a study that showed that high CCTV areas how no less of a crime rate than those without CCTV and that conviction rates were low enough to not warrant the cost. I would go looking for it, but hey, it's Christmas eve! :D