Traffic Lights Edgar Street Hereford May Be Turned Off!

Cllr. Jim Keynon has had a meeting with Hereford Council and it seems that they may have agreed to turn off the temporary traffic lights on the Edgar Street roundabout southbound for a week, it's now down to the Highway's Agency, so fingers crossed. At least if they trial this for a week we will know if my idea works but I am confident that it will be a lot better with them turned off. Nice one Jim!!

TLOff.jpg

Brilliant. Now that's good news ain't it? It seems as though our Colin is going to get his opportunity. Good luck Colin and well done Jim.

Thing is Colin it will only give you a partial idea, what would be perfect for you would be if they turned the traffic lights at the Asda junction at the same time then you would know for sure if your idea is successful.

Well done Jim indeed!

This would appear to be one of those rare victories for common sense we must all ring this date on our calendar's, to remind ourselves that just occasionally, it CAN happen!

And Colin, I appluade your determination to try to improve our traffic issues - so a big "Thanks" to you as well !!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi folks I agree with Colin and I got fed up with those pointless lights and the huge traffic que's so I organised this meeting with the council officer incharge of highways and the cabinet member CLLR Phillip price I also contact a friend at Amey who still look after the A49 I was told by him that those temporary lights were put on so that the buses could get out off tesco's "wtf" the perminant lights will be in place by Thursday next week I argued we have nothing to lose as the traffic can't get any worse westbound on the 49 and Newmarket street so they have agreed to ask the highways agency to give this a trial and see if the good folk of Hereford can use a roundabout as they were designed for after all the rest of the uk can so fingers crossed some common sense may prevail.

Also at that meeting they agreed to include city ward councillors when they plan to shut Newmarket street in January and listen to our thoughts and ideas.

On 21/11/2013 at 22:13, Jim Kenyon said:

Hi folks I agree with Colin and I got fed up with those pointless lights and the huge traffic que's so I organised this meeting with the council officer incharge of highways and the cabinet member CLLR Phillip price I also contact a friend at Amey who still look after the A49 I was told by him that those temporary lights were put on so that the buses could get out off tesco's "wtf" the perminant lights will be in place by Thursday next week I argued we have nothing to lose as the traffic can't get any worse westbound on the 49 and Newmarket street so they have agreed to ask the highways agency to give this a trial and see if the good folk of Hereford can use a roundabout as they were designed for after all the rest of the uk can so fingers crossed some common sense may prevail.

Also at that meeting they agreed to include city ward councillors when they plan to shut Newmarket street in January and listen to our thoughts and ideas.

Well done Jim and I agree with dippyhippy for Colin's constant determination and enthusiasm to get the traffic lights on the ring road including the Asda junction turned off. I cannot believe that this put the temp lights there for the buses coming out of Tesco  :Hmm:  Well lets hope now that they actually do it. 

This was the email that was sent so herefordshire council are doing there bit

Dear Andy / Paul

Further to my discussion with Paul over the phone, I would like to highlight that there is significant concern locally that the temporary traffic lights which are currently in place as part of the works at the roundabout are causing excessive delays to traffic travelling westbound along Newmarket street towards the roundabout and southbound along Edgar Street towards the roundabout.

It has been suggested that this would be considerably improved by the removal of the temporary signals pending the introduction of the permanent signals which I understand it likely to be completed by next Thursday.

Please can you urgently consider whether you are able to remove the temporary signals to help improve the traffic flow. If this is not possible, please can you explain why you consider these temporary signals to still be necessary.

I would also be grateful for confirmation of the planned reinstatement of the historic cider press.

I would be grateful if you could respond to myself, Cllr Price (cabinet member) and Cllr Kenyon (local member within the City) tomorrow.

Regards

Richard Ball

Assistant Director

Place Based Commissioning

Places and Communities Directorate

Herefordshire Council

That's what I like, a common sense solution to a problem, that's put into action quickly!

No messing, no fuss, just sorted!

Well done, and thanks for posting the email!

This was the email that was sent so herefordshire council are doing there bit

Dear Andy / Paul

Further to my discussion with Paul over the phone, I would like to highlight that there is significant concern locally that the temporary traffic lights which are currently in place as part of the works at the roundabout are causing excessive delays to traffic travelling westbound along Newmarket street towards the roundabout and southbound along Edgar Street towards the roundabout.

It has been suggested that this would be considerably improved by the removal of the temporary signals pending the introduction of the permanent signals which I understand it likely to be completed by next Thursday.

Please can you urgently consider whether you are able to remove the temporary signals to help improve the traffic flow. If this is not possible, please can you explain why you consider these temporary signals to still be necessary.

I would also be grateful for confirmation of the planned reinstatement of the historic cider press.

I would be grateful if you could respond to myself, Cllr Price (cabinet member) and Cllr Kenyon (local member within the City) tomorrow.

Regards

Richard Ball

Assistant Director

Place Based Commissioning

Places and Communities Directorate

Herefordshire Council

Nice to see at least one Councillor doing something about the total chaos these lights have caused but its been two weeks Jim.

When did you ring him and when did you send the e-mail? and does richard Ball live in Hereford? my bet is he does not.

On 21/11/2013 at 22:13, Jim Kenyon said:

Hi folks I agree with Colin and I got fed up with those pointless lights and the huge traffic que's so I organised this meeting with the council officer incharge of highways and the cabinet member CLLR Phillip price I also contact a friend at Amey who still look after the A49 I was told by him that those temporary lights were put on so that the buses could get out off tesco's "wtf" the perminant lights will be in place by Thursday next week I argued we have nothing to lose as the traffic can't get any worse westbound on the 49 and Newmarket street so they have agreed to ask the highways agency to give this a trial and see if the good folk of Hereford can use a roundabout as they were designed for after all the rest of the uk can so fingers crossed some common sense may prevail.

By the time you get a reply Jim it will be to late

Well done Jim indeed!

This would appear to be one of those rare victories for common sense we must all ring this date on our calendar's, to remind ourselves that just occasionally, it CAN happen!

And Colin, I appluade your determination to try to improve our traffic issues - so a big "Thanks" to you as well !!

Hold ya horses Dippy,They are still on

• 4 years later...

I have made a point to Jim Kenyon on a video complied by Your Herefordshire on their FB page about the traffic lights which Jim is featured in but Jim has made no reference to Hereford Voice or any of the other people that have been involved in the continued campaign you have been running trying to get these traffic lights turned off. I think it would of been just a little appropriate if Jim has made a reference to this long campaign because right now he is getting all the credit for the idea and that does not sit well with me. Jim is a good guy and I always support him but some recognition was in order here imo

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bill Thomas said:

I have made a point to Jim Kenyon on a video complied by Your Herefordshire on their FB page about the traffic lights which Jim is featured in but Jim has made no reference to Hereford Voice or any of the other people that have been involved in the continued campaign you have been running trying to get these traffic lights turned off. I think it would of been just a little appropriate if Jim has made a reference to this long campaign because right now he is getting all the credit for the idea and that does not sit well with me. Jim is a good guy and I always support him but some recognition was in order here imo

Thank you Bill for your support however, I am not after the acclaim although your loyalty is appreciated that said, I think Jim, like me is just trying to highlight these issues and we all need to strive towards getting these traffic lights turned off or at the very least made part-time, once part-time it might prove that turning them off altogether and replacing some of them with roundabout where possible to be more advantageous to the motorists of Hereford. 

On 01/05/2018 at 13:32, Colin James said:

Thank you Bill for your support however, I am not after the acclaim although your loyalty is appreciated that said, I think Jim, like me is just trying to highlight these issues and we all need to strive towards getting these traffic lights turned off or at the very least made part-time, once part-time it might prove that turning them off altogether and replacing some of them with roundabout where possible to be more advantageous to the motorists of Hereford. 

The traffic lights on the Newmarket roundabout are now just pointless.They serve no other purpose than to hold up traffic for no reason
what so ever.I'm also miffed at the stupid situation where traffic turning right into Widemarsh St from Blueschool st is restricted to four vehicles because of the box junction in the right turn lane that should not be there.

Ragwert ?...I believe but will stand corrected  that you are allowed to enter the box junction if you wish to turn right and your path is blocked by oncoming traffic. It is OK for you to wait on the yellow criss-cross . .  

The apparent problem is the yellow box junction markings extending into the right turn lane plus of course the drivers of vehicles wishing to turn right are not aware of the law or hesitant because of a doubt in their mind as to wether they can enter the box junction to turn right ........a the answer is to my old mind  is yes you can ! 

4 hours ago, Ubique said:

Ragwert ?...I believe but will stand corrected  that you are allowed to enter the box junction if you wish to turn right and your path is blocked by oncoming traffic. It is OK for you to wait on the yellow criss-cross . .  

The apparent problem is the yellow box junction markings extending into the right turn lane plus of course the drivers of vehicles wishing to turn right are not aware of the law or hesitant because of a doubt in their mind as to wether they can enter the box junction to turn right ........a the answer is to my old mind  is yes you can ! 

I have no problem with the box junction for those going straight ahead because of vehicles coming out of Maylords car park, just the yellow box that is extended into the right turn lane.
Everyone (except me lol) will not drive onto it.
The box junction in the right hand lane should be removed as it is obviously a mistake. 

On 01/05/2018 at 12:52, Bill Thomas said:

I find it annoying that JK appears to claim the credit like he has just thought if it, when it is other peoples ideas and long running campaigns, generally a good bloke but loves his name/photo in the paper. :Hmm: