Cannot Purchase Hot Food In Hereford City After 1.30am

Colin James

I agree with Aylestone Voice. Somebody should make an application follow the principles needed to address the law ans see how it goes.

McD's don't have the bottle to do it, if they had they would have appealed the refusal back in 2012 and would have likely won! The had a barrister presenting their case - a supposed licensing expert - against the police licensing officer...to prosternate and moan achieves nowt! Someone out there needs to apply..

What has to be shown by any applicant is how they will promote the licensing objectives through proper management of the venue & how they can show that having the venue open later will NOT impact or undermine the licencing objectives. There is a skill in delivering this

That is rubbish ... The existing night time spots serve people who get insanely drunk all the time ... They got very late licences, get loads of people that exit and cause trouble and are therefore consistently breaching one of the licensing objectives which is to prevent crime and disorder ... 'There is a skill in delivering this' ... ~ make your own mind up on that one ... ;-)

That is rubbish ... The existing night time spots serve people who get insanely drunk all the time ... They got very late licences, get loads of people that exit and cause trouble and are therefore consistently breaching one of the licensing objectives which is to prevent crime and disorder ... 'There is a skill in delivering this' ... ~ make your own mind up on that one ... ;-)

I have worked the doors in Hereford for over 16 years and this is not my experience generally. Yes you do get drunk people of which most are just out to have a good time after working all week and are generally well behaved, that said, you will always get the few that spoil it for everyone else, Hereford is not unique...This does not prevent other towns and cities having ridiculas hot food curfews though does it? 

I still don't get this because as I have previously said, people are usually pretty hungry after beers and still go to the Lunch Box in Commercial Road or to the garage or Tesco's, so what's the difference here? Are they suggesting that hot food makes people more aggressive or noisy? 

Well I have some really really good news! 

I have had a very interesting conversation with a good friend of mine and a very reliable source  this afternoon, who informs me that the previous licensing issues with regard to hot food are being relaxed and that positive changes are a foot.

From my understanding, any existing restaurant/pub/club can now apply for a late license and providing they can prove that they will have no impact on CIZ or increase criminal activity because they are staying open later there is a good chance that permission will be granted or rather no objections will come from the police etc..

The applicant may need to apply initially for a Temporary Event Licence in the interim but if after a period of say a few months there is no significant increase in crime, there should be no real reason for the council or police to challenge their application.

I have never understood why some of these food establishments have been prevented from still offering a home delivery service after 1.30 but that's by the by now.

So if you or anyone you knows has a take away, restaurant, pub or club get them to apply for a late licence if they so desire and lets see whats happens.

It would be interesting to see what happens if McDonalds in town re-apply now.

• 2 weeks later...

Normal activities are now being adversely affected by these cop budget cuts ... Whether it be a chip shop staying open late or a 17.30 football match ...

Twitter

B5kdDTJIMAAHQfY.jpg

Plenty of Door staff available, there never have been loads of Police around in Hereford during the early hours, so I don't think this would have too big an impact.

• 9 months later...

It has taken our campaign over 3 years but today we have a result!! 

At long last and after a very long campaign from Hereford Voice we can now all enjoy hot food until 3am everyday and 4.30am weekends!

I am pleased to confirm that this afternoon Herefordshire Council's Regulatory Sub Committee met and considered an application from the Golden Galleon in Commercial Road to serve hot food late at night.
The case was heard and debated at length. After careful consideration the committee agreed to vary their premises licence to permit the sale of hot food as late as 03:00 and 04:30 on bank holidays.

I hope this keeps everyone in the loop and allays any fears that Hereford is resisting such a change. The police will no doubt keep an eye on the situation in the city centre and the Council will of course have to respond to any applications to review this licence should the late night sale lead to public nuisance or crime & disorder. However, let's hope it doesn't come to that and that everyone can enjoy their long awaited hot chips..!

Marc Willimont
Head of Environmental Health & Development Management
Herefordshire Council 

At long last and after a very long campaign from Hereford Voice we can now all enjoy hot food until 3am everyday and 4.30am on weekends!

I think you should start a topic listing HV achievements, seriously I do.

At long last and after a very long campaign from Hereford Voice we can now all enjoy hot food until 3am everyday and 4.30am weekends!

Until there is some trouble there and then the police will want it to stop.

As far as I remember that is the reason the council refused these early morning opening in the first place.

Until there is some trouble there and then the police will want it to stop.

As far as I remember that is the reason the council refused these early morning opening in the first place.

Adrian, this has been discussed on both of these topics. You are right and that is why that have to have SIA door staff after 1.30am but have a read through all of the discussions it is an interesting read.

Before we all get carried away (and I won't be) I offer you this from FB:

unhappy.jpg

It's been accepted that the chip shop ARE promoting the licensing objectives otherwise they wouldn't have the few 04.30 ending times that they've got. However they could easily promote those same licensing objectives (with the 9 conditions listed here) on any old day of the week. 

The chip shop appear to have been massaged into a position by the Police (with the amended application) which, for the most part, avoids it being open when the really late places turn out. But the cops can say that the chip shop no longer wanted the longer hours (true on paper) but I think we all secretly know they did want them ~ to mop up custom from The Play stragglers for a start.

The question I would ask is what part of the licensing objectives are the Golden Galleon not meeting for a wet Monday in February that they appear to be able to meet on a Saturday Night on August Bank Holiday weekend? Or is something else factored in here that the Golden Galleon has no control of? 

• 4 months later...

Pizza takeaway has longer opening times refused

21427096.jpg

PERMISSION for longer opening hours at Domino's Pizza in Hereford has been refused.

Herefordshire Council's planning committee went against the officer's recommendation and refused the application to extend delivery times until 1am Sunday to Thursday and 2am on Friday and Saturday.

The pizza chain had also applied for an extension to opening hours for walk-in customers until midnight every day.

The current authorised opening hours are 7am to 11pm daily.

Hereford Times

• 1 year later...

According to Twitter, the intended new Hereford Fish & Chips Shop alongside the Golden Galleon has just been granted opening hours up until 4am, despite Council objections. Looks like the former Inspector Semper has come back as a 'Licensing Consultant' and now represents businesses around the city. So it looks like the ban on late night takeaways may be a thing of the past.

According to Twitter, the intended new Hereford Fish & Chips Shop alongside the Golden Galleon has just been granted opening hours up until 4am, despite Council objections. Looks like the former Inspector Semper has come back as a 'Licensing Consultant' and now represents businesses around the city. So it looks like the ban on late night takeaways may be a thing of the past.

Good! I should be able to buy a takeaway at anytime of the day or night, if some company is happy to provide.  

Good news, Nick Semper is a good guy and understands that young people want to have a good night, which includes some grub on the way home! I don't see a problem with it, Golden Galleon has not had any major problems since their late night licence was approved and I notice that there are a few more places opening late. I hope more and more businesses apply to stay open, it would be good if in his new role he can visit other establishments encouraging them to apply too.