Asda Submit Plans for Petrol Station

Colin James

No it was not a normal afternoon it was worse, someone told me today it took them an hour to get out of Asda on Friday afternoon, it took the bus I was on 40 minutes to get into town.

I think H.Wilson was joking with you Councillor because the traffic is always bad.  :Cool_32:

From Hereford Times website today:

Hereford's first ever credit-card only petrol station plan withdrawn - for now

4:23pm Tuesday 17th April 2012 in Hereford City

A LEADING supermarket chain has withdrawn its plans for Herefordshire’s first credit card-only petrol station - for the time being.

Asda wants to build the 12 pump forecourt on the grounds of its South Wye store off the Belmont Island.

But the idea was met with opposition from councillors Chris Chappell and Bob Preece who feared for traffic on the already busy junction.

“We are delighted that we have been listened to and that this proposal, which would have caused mayhem on this busy road junction, has been withdrawn by ASDA,†explained Coun Chappell.

But Asda this week said it still wants to go ahead with the idea, saying the withdrawal was merely to provide more information to Herefordshire Council.

“We are just ironing out some details,†said press officer Oliver Jones.

“We still intend to go ahead with the plans.â€

From Hereford Times website today:

Hereford's first ever credit-card only petrol station plan withdrawn - for now

4:23pm Tuesday 17th April 2012 in Hereford City

A LEADING supermarket chain has withdrawn its plans for Herefordshire’s first credit card-only petrol station - for the time being.

Asda wants to build the 12 pump forecourt on the grounds of its South Wye store off the Belmont Island.

But the idea was met with opposition from councillors Chris Chappell and Bob Preece who feared for traffic on the already busy junction.

“We are delighted that we have been listened to and that this proposal, which would have caused mayhem on this busy road junction, has been withdrawn by ASDA,†explained Coun Chappell.

But Asda this week said it still wants to go ahead with the idea, saying the withdrawal was merely to provide more information to Herefordshire Council.

“We are just ironing out some details,†said press officer Oliver Jones.

“We still intend to go ahead with the plans.â€

Why did they not iron out these details before submitting their application. Now they have withrawn the application they will have to pay again,

Why did they not iron out these details before submitting their application. Now they have withrawn the application they will have to pay again,

I am sure they know what they are doing and yes they can afford it  :Winky:

• 4 years later...

The same old story this city needs a by-pass over the river it should have been done 30 plus years ago and you would not have half the problems with traffic that we have now look how much the population of this city has increased in the last 10 years alone shows our infra structure will not be able to cope in the next 10 years.

The same old story this city needs a by-pass over the river it should have been done 30 plus years ago and you would not have half the problems with traffic that we have now look how much the population of this city has increased in the last 10 years alone shows our infra structure will not be able to cope in the next 10 years.

When I was much younger we didnt have half the traffic problems because we walked and cycled everywhere! We didnt get driven to and from school, and if we wanted to go any distance we used buses. I must admit going back to cycling is taking me back to those days, and this year smelling the blossom on the trees, even along Great Western Way, or hearing the birds sing as I cycle home in the evening is proving really life enhancing. I have met a few other people from my street who have also recently taken to cycling - it is a really nice start to the day as everyone says hello, when we pass or meet at junctions. Cycling isnt just for lycra clad middle age men it should be for everyone, and so I would rather the council spend as much time promoting cycling and walking as it is doing promoting a "bypass". If we all cycled there would be no need for more petrol station, but a few more affordable homes could be built as were originally planned for this site - and which are needed much more than another petrol station. All these petrol stations take money OUT of the local economy and mean there is less money to be spent keeping shops and other local businesses going in Hereford. I for one dont want to support the Americans and Wallmart who own Asda.