Newton Farm Community Hub

Guest Andy Thompson Associate

• Guests
Guest Andy Thompson Associate

Dear all,

I am currently working with Newton Farm Community Association, The Kindle Centre and Herefordshire Housing on a business plan for the development of a community hub on the site of the St Francis of Assisi church on Goodrich Road in Newton Farm. I came across this forum whilst looking for the local election results and thought it would be useful to to register and pose a few questions.

I have spoken to quite a few people so far about this project as well as conducting a piece of community research (my colleagues and I recently surveyed over 100 people in the Newton Farm area trying to identify what concerns people had for the area, what their aspirations were (both for themselves and Newton Farm) and whether they supported the idea of having a community hub) but I want to broaden the evidence base a little further if possible.

I would be really grateful if you would spend five minutes in replying to this post (either on the forum or privately) to tell me the following:

1. What do you think are the big issues for Newton Farm?

2. What can be done to address them?

3. What would you like to get out of a community hub?

4. what would you like to see operate from their/be offered there?

5. Is the St Francis site the most appropriate site in Newton Farm? If so, why? If not, where is?

6. What is your involvement in Newton Farm? (i.e. do you live, work or represent the area)

7.In what capacity are you speaking to me? (i.e. as a local resident, councillor, professional etc.)

Thanks again for your time.

Best regards

Andy

I am a local resident and this idea sounds good. St Francis would be an ideal place to have the hub, but it would need tidying up or refurbishing at the very least. :Thumbs-Up:

Kids and fires seem to be popular especially on Friday nights, the NEW Police station could do with being open 24hours from say Friday 5pm - Sunday 4pm this would help!! That Police station has been a complete waste of money as it is hardly open at all!!! :Thumbs-Down:

I am a local resident and this idea sounds good. St Francis would be an ideal place to have the hub, but it would need tidying up or refurbishing at the very least. :Thumbs-Up:

Kids and fires seem to be popular especially on Friday nights, the NEW Police station could do with being open 24hours from say Friday 5pm - Sunday 4pm this would help!! That Police station has been a complete waste of money as it is hardly open at all!!! :Thumbs-Down:

First of all, welcome to the forum Andy :Happy_32:

As a local resident I agree with everything that Frank has said, especially about the police station. St Francis would be a good place to use as a hub.

There is a major lack of police presence in Newton Farm this is one of the biggest issues in my opinion.

Welcome to Belmont Voice Andy :Thumbs-Up: hope to see you here as a regular.

St Francis Centre, I think would be a good location.

If your looking at issues that need addressing try looking in the Police & Crime Forum HERE I think you will find most of the problems facing Newton Farm.

As for the hub, this could be used as a place to hold meetings and open days etc.. maybe a coffee shop where locals can pop in and air their views daily...

I totally agree with the police station being open 24 hours over the weekends!! this is a must!

Dear all,

I am currently working with Newton Farm Community Association, The Kindle Centre and Herefordshire Housing on a business plan for the development of a community hub on the site of the St Francis of Assisi church on Goodrich Road in Newton Farm. I came across this forum whilst looking for the local election results and thought it would be useful to to register and pose a few questions.

I have spoken to quite a few people so far about this project as well as conducting a piece of community research (my colleagues and I recently surveyed over 100 people in the Newton Farm area trying to identify what concerns people had for the area, what their aspirations were (both for themselves and Newton Farm) and whether they supported the idea of having a community hub) but I want to broaden the evidence base a little further if possible.

I would be really grateful if you would spend five minutes in replying to this post (either on the forum or privately) to tell me the following:

1. What do you think are the big issues for Newton Farm?

2. What can be done to address them?

3. What would you like to get out of a community hub?

4. what would you like to see operate from their/be offered there?

5. Is the St Francis site the most appropriate site in Newton Farm? If so, why? If not, where is?

6. What is your involvement in Newton Farm? (i.e. do you live, work or represent the area)

7.In what capacity are you speaking to me? (i.e. as a local resident, councillor, professional etc.)

Thanks again for your time.

Best regards

Andy

Andy, You know my views on this we need a purpose built community hall not a hub this is what the residents of Newton Farm has asked for for the past 12 years, you have my survey what we done when I ran the NFCA 98% of the people replied, we need somewhere for our teenagers to go under supervision of youth workers, and also facilities for the elderly people to give them back their luncheon and social club, a community building where meetings take place. The NFCA is in name only they do nothing for the residents and we have no meetings to discuss what they promised to give to the community for the past 10 years.

Where I agree the police station is not open at appropriate hours ie.in the evenings, but as was explained in another post the police has had their budget drastically slashed, the station will NOT be open 24 hrs as much as I like it to be, we are lucky that it is open at all with the reduction of police officers!

Where I agree the police station is not open at appropriate hours ie.in the evenings, but as was explained in another post the police has had their budget drastically slashed, the station will NOT be open 24 hrs as much as I like it to be, we are lucky that it is open at all with the reduction of police officers!

Another example of wasted money! and when was this new police station built.... :Thumbs-Down:

It was built and opened late in 2003.

Yes my point exactly, its hardly been used, new build really or maybe it's a gloryfied car park for the police cars that will not fit in the car park at the main station. I think it's disgusting!

This police station would be ideal if it was open over the weekends instead of just a couple of hours per day. :Angry_32:

Yes my point exactly, its hardly been used, new build really or maybe it's a gloryfied car park for the police cars that will not fit in the car park at the main station. I think it's disgusting!

This police station would be ideal if it was open over the weekends instead of just a couple of hours per day. :Angry_32:

The police monitor this website, so will see your coments! the police station is open at the following times

10am - 2pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 4pm - 8pm on Wednesday. When the police station front desk was under threat of closure in 2009 and I did a petition to keep it open I also ask for the hours to be change I was advised they did not have the man power to cover later hours, it was suggested to me that they were thinking of getting the public to train to man the front desk but not enough people came forward because they did not want to work night time hours, and some did not pass the police checks so it remains the same hours of opening. In the police defence I have been to the station on several occasions on Wednesday evenings while walking around the ward and no member of the public was present or apparently go there at night, instead they ring me to contact the police! unfortunately while they are ringing me they could of contacted the police themselves and they would of attended earlier! People think because I am a councillor I have a direct line to the police station which I do not.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

The police monitor this website, so will see your coments! the police station is open at the following times

10am - 2pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 4pm - 8pm on Wednesday. When the police station front desk was under threat of closure in 2009 and I did a petition to keep it open I also ask for the hours to be change I was advised they did not have the man power to cover later hours, it was suggested to me that they were thinking of getting the public to train to man the front desk but not enough people came forward because they did not want to work night time hours, and some did not pass the police checks so it remains the same hours of opening. In the police defence I have been to the station on several occasions on Wednesday evenings while walking around the ward and no member of the public was present or apparently go there at night, instead they ring me to contact the police! unfortunately while they are ringing me they could of contacted the police themselves and they would of attended earlier! People think because I am a councillor I have a direct line to the police station which I do not.

Is it me or do you always write as if you are irritated or suffering from a severe case of piles? I am sure people phone you because they think it is the right thing for them to do not because they want to bother you Councillor Powell... :Surprised_32:

Is it me or do you always write as if you are irritated or suffering from a severe case of piles? I am sure people phone you because they think it is the right thing for them to do not because they want to bother you Councillor Powell... :Surprised_32:

No I am not irritated or suffering from the latter, in regard to my constituents phoning me they have known for 8 years they can, and do contact me over a timescale of 10 hrs a day, I always check my messages and ring residents back the same day If I am at council meetings. The majority of residents know I give them 100% of my time 364 days a year. The point I was making is whilst they are ringing me they could of rang the police themselves if matters need the police attending, if it is urgent I tell them to ring 999. As I stated before residents mistakenly think because of my position I have a direct line to both the South Wye and Central police stations in Hereford, where as, I have to go through the same number to Worcester and have to ask to be conected to either Hereford Stations the same as you!