Belmont Roundabout Keep Clear Signs

I agree with Colins reply, they are more than useless this has not stopped the vehicles from blocking the exit out of Northolme and Abottsmead Roads. It took me over 10 minutes to try and negotiate around vehicles before I could get on to the A465 towards Abergavenny and I was the only car.

I like Colins overlay this is how it should have been done then we would all be a winner. We need to press with a change, i am also amazed as why a yellow box cannot be painted on, they claim traffic lights is this Amey just trying to justify their tiny "KEEP CLEAR" signs?

I think if Amey painted some lane guidance around this roundabout as Colin James has suggested it would help. Most of the traffic entering the city is almost already in the right lane, but that lane should be for turning right only, so a right arrow in that lane and a straight on arrow in the left lane I think would help.

post-35-13302954572691_thumb.jpg

I think if Amey painted some lane guidance around this roundabout as Colin James has suggested it would help. Most of the traffic entering the city is almost already in the right lane, but that lane should be for turning right only, so a right arrow in that lane and a straight on arrow in the left lane I think would help.

post-2-13302954658708_thumb.png

I like and support your idea, have asked Amey to impliment ASAP.

post-2-13136944868523.png

Yes I spoke at length with Justine about this idea and would I think it would help.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

I have spoken with Amey today to ask if the signs can be extended further into the road I am waiting for them to come back to me. Amey has seen what you all have written, whilst I understand your frustration as local councillor I hope you realise I cannot coment on your disparaging remarks towards Amey.

As a Councillor you are free to voice disquiet, to protest, to shout and to scream if necessary to get the job done.....walking about being nice is great but there are times when being nice just aint good enough!

As for disparaging remarks.....they are nothing of the sort...the facts are the original job by the contractors is a complete failure and a waste of time and money...the solution is simple part-time traffic lights end of...not some disjointed Heath Robinson attempt at traffic control....

As a Councillor you are free to voice disquiet, to protest, to shout and to scream if necessary to get the job done.....walking about being nice is great but there are times when being nice just aint good enough!

As for disparaging remarks.....they are nothing of the sort...the facts are the original job by the contractors is a complete failure and a waste of time and money...the solution is simple part-time traffic lights end of...not some disjointed Heath Robinson attempt at traffic control....

I can assure you I do voice my disquiet in a very strong manner when required, which I have done here. I am no push over as contractor and officers have found out, but as a councillor I am bound by a 'code of conduct' the same applies to contractors / officers and their conduct to me.

It is your perogative to voice your concerns here baring in mind that you are responsible for any post you write, but calling Amey incompedent will not get you far! if you read back to Mr james post where he states he had spoken at length with Justine Heath, he also stated he was not aware of some restrictions ie the size of the 'keep clear' signs that is the standard size and therefore have been put in. I have again sent correspondence to Amey stating I agree with the suggestion of arrows pointing everyone in the right direction and ask if they can be implemented. I might add I was met whilst 'walking around' at the weekend by residents from Belmont who actually thank me for having the signs put in, as they have found it easier to get onto the roundabout now! In regard to traffic lights after a full discussion it was felt that they would make matters worse, and I agree, we have enough problems with the one's at Asda causing tail backs on A465 without having the same happen at Tesco Belmont.

Agree with you. Mr James originally requested yellow boxes back 3 years ago, so t has taken this long to get anything done, which in my opinion is unexceptable. I appreciate that Cllr Powell has had discussions with the contractors, but 3 years!!

Mr James has also pointed out various other signs around the city which are bigger than the new ones, but has been given excuses that these were already in place and were not Amey's doing, so it seems to me that there is no consistency or not when it suits anyway.

I might add I was met whilst 'walking around' at the weekend by residents from Belmont who actually thank me for having the signs put in, as they have found it easier to get onto the roundabout now!
????? You must be on the same planet as another local Cllr who made the same comments,

IT IS NOT WORKING WELL! SEE PICTURES.

post-2-13008731883103.jpg

:Thumbs-Up: Since my site visit last Wednesday with Amey manager Justine Heath that I arranged,and the report I posted earlier regarding yellow box at Tesco roundabout, I have this afternoon spoken with Justine Heath, although it is not possible to have a yellow box without traffic lights,I am of the opinion lights would only make the matter worse, I have come to a compromise with Amey to paint

"keep clear" signs on the road at the junction with Northolme Road, Abbotsmead Road and Southholme Road coming onto the Tesco roundabout. this will bring this long over due matter to a conclusio. I hope residents will accept my decision. I will be speaking with Mr Carhill at Amey tomorrow to see how quickly they can do this work, taking into account the present weather conditions.

There is no consistency here, originally back in May 2008 I requested yellow boxes on the roundabout, I was advised that yellow boxes were not permittd where there are no traffic lights, again, like the difference in the keep clear signs around the city, I find brand new painted yellow boxes in Walnut Tree Avenue;

Image0075.jpg

There are no traffic lights anywhere near this location and this was only painted during the new roadworks last week! This is on the juction between Walnut Tree Avenue and Home Lane.

I imagine now that we will be told, ah this has been here for years so that's ok...however, surely the minute that Amey re-paint these signs they take responsabilty, so if this is not permitted, I am of the opinion that Amey are in breach as they should of corrected this especially now that they have accepted the responsabilty?

This is so frustrating as this works well in this location.

Once Amey re-paint I assume that they take over the responsibility and adopt and have to adhere to the guidelines hat they refer too further back in this topic. This should of been corrected at that time, which obviously is not the case, good argument here I think. :Thumbs-Up:

There is no consistency here, originally back in May 2008 I requested yellow boxes on the roundabout, I was advised that yellow boxes were not permittd where there are no traffic lights, again, like the difference in the keep clear signs around the city, I find brand new painted yellow boxes in Walnut Tree Avenue;

There are no traffic lights anywhere near this location and this was only painted during the new roadworks last week! This is on the juction between Walnut Tree Avenue and Home Lane.

I imagine now that we will be told, ah this has been here for years so that's ok...however, surely the minute that Amey re-paint these signs they take responsabilty, so if this is not permitted, I am of the opinion that Amey are in breach as they should of corrected this especially now that they have accepted the responsabilty?

This is so frustrating as this works well in this location.

Colin, I advised you when you rang me that the yellow box at walnut Tree Ave was put in some 15yrs ago at the same time as the speed bumps which residents felt that there were to many in a short distance away from each other. Two weeks ago Walnut Tree Ave was closed for resurfacing the road, Amey were obliged to re-paint the box in because it was covered with the resurfacing, so in actual fact there is no new box.

Agree with you. Mr James originally requested yellow boxes back 3 years ago, so t has taken this long to get anything done, which in my opinion is unexceptable. I appreciate that Cllr Powell has had discussions with the contractors, but 3 years!!

Mr James has also pointed out various other signs around the city which are bigger than the new ones, but has been given excuses that these were already in place and were not Amey's doing, so it seems to me that there is no consistency or not when it suits anyway.

????? You must be on the same planet as another local Cllr who made the same comments,

IT IS NOT WORKING WELL! SEE PICTURES.

post-2-13008731883103.jpg

H Wilson, I live on Planet earth I assume you do the same! in 2008 when Mr James ask for a yellow box at the junction of Abbotsmead road the A465 was owned by the Highway Agency so it was there decision to either put a yellow box in or not, they obviously felt rightly or wrongly it was not necessary. in 2009 the road was de-trunked and came under the direction of Herefordshire Council and eventually Amey as the council contractor, but the roads are still governed by dept of transport and is strictly regulated by the 'Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002' therefore Amey are following their instructions!

Colin, I advised you when you rang me that the yellow box at walnut Tree Ave was put in some 15yrs ago at the same time as the speed bumps which residents felt that there were to many in a short distance away from each other. Two weeks ago Walnut Tree Ave was closed for resurfacing the road, Amey were obliged to re-paint the box in because it was covered with the resurfacing, so in actual fact there is no new box.

Yes you did and I also told you that I would put my comments and a picture on the website. I agree that the yelow box has been repainted like new! after the road resurface but as someone else has pointed out, once Amey repainted it, they have now taken full ownership and responsibility too including the current legal guidelines, that they have referred too at the Belmont roundabout. I was advised that any work that Amey do or even renew comes under their guildlines as set out by the DOT, in theory they have now adopted that particular piece of work, be it a road sign or cutting a hedge. So based on that Amey should of put a "keep clear" sign there and not renewed the yellow box, it is irreveilent if its been there for 15 or 50 years, it's wrong! Well according to Amey anyway...hence why we could not have one.

H Wilson, I live on Planet earth I assume you do the same! in 2008 when Mr James ask for a yellow box at the junction of Abbotsmead road the A465 was owned by the Highway Agency so it was there decision to either put a yellow box in or not, they obviously felt rightly or wrongly it was not necessary. in 2009 the road was de-trunked and came under the direction of Herefordshire Council and eventually Amey as the council contractor, but the roads are still governed by dept of transport and is strictly regulated by the 'Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002' therefore Amey are following their instructions!

I think you missed the point Cllr

I might add I was met whilst 'walking around' at the weekend by residents from Belmont who actually thank me for having the signs put in, as they have found it easier to get onto the roundabout now!
and the point being made was it is clearly not easier to get onto the roundabout judging from the comments made and pictures posted.

Yes you did and I also told you that I would put my comments and a picture on the website. I agree that the yelow box has been repainted like new! after the road resurface but as someone else has pointed out, once Amey repainted it, they have now taken full ownership and responsibility too including the current legal guidelines, that they have referred too at the Belmont roundabout. I was advised that any work that Amey do or even renew comes under their guildlines as set out by the DOT, in theory they have now adopted that particular piece of work, be it a road sign or cutting a hedge. So based on that Amey should of put a "keep clear" sign there and not renewed the yellow box, it is irreveilent if its been there for 15 or 50 years, it's wrong! Well according to Amey anyway...hence why we could not have one.

I have come to the conclusion that it obviously doesn't matter what Amey or I say in explaination to the posts WE ARE WRONG! I have received further information in regards to the restrictions, but in the circumstances I do not feel it is worth advising you all, as you do not believe what is said! as far as I am concerned this discussion is going nowhere end of!!!

I have come to the conclusion that it obviously doesn't matter what Amey or I say in explaination to the posts WE ARE WRONG! I have received further information in regards to the restrictions, but in the circumstances I do not feel it is worth advising you all, as you do not believe what is said! as far as I am concerned this discussion is going nowhere end of!!!

Well well well...they are discussing points which have value, hardly the attitude to have when they are legitimate issues.(I fail to see where anyone has said you are wrong? I think you are taking this personally) I noticed that in response to a phone call that Colin James had with Justine Heath, she requested that members continue with debate in order for her to put a case together and she would continue to read what was being said from my understanding.

As suggested by Justine Heath, I would like all members to monitor this junction reporting information and pictures where possible in support of our case, which I think is a great idea. Justine commented that this website was useful and hopefully she will now register in order to be able to give our members accurate information from time to time so that we have the clear facts before we comment.

The new system is not working from the evidence of the discussions thus far and pictures that have been submitted. The yellow box issue also has merit, so what's the problem Cllr?

I thik that one of the problems here is that there is no consistency in what we are being told, it's ok to renew a yellow box, which we have told can only be placed when there are traffic lights, and in the case on walnut tree ave this is not the case and yes, once over painted, I am of the same opinion that they then take ownership of that, perhaps Amey would like to comment as I think by the sound of things, you are getting annoyed as your not hearing perhaps what you want to hear. :Thumbs-Down: :Thumbs-Down: :Thumbs-Down: in the beginning your were also not happy and you told us that the new keep clear signs were not laid as you requested;

Having seen the photographs Colin James took today when he contacted me this afternoon, I have sent my comments to Amey, advising them what I actually said when we had site meeting in November which was: the keep clear signs needed to be put across the whole road from Abbotsmead Rd / Northolme Rd / Southolme Rd to reach the edge of the island on the other side. I have now ask for this to be put right by the end of this coming week

The goal posts keep moving!

You had meetings with Amey and discussed all of this, they also sent correspondance out prior to doing the work, so to be fair you should of been well aware of exactly what was going to be done and also the restrictions and guidlines that Amey have to work within.

There just seems to be one rule for them and another for the constiuents, the mere fact that the yellow box in walnut tree ave has been there for a while has nothing to do with it and certainly does nt make it right! I am sure that the same will apply when they renew the line painting on the sign in Barton Road too.

It seems to me that all that is being requested here is some clear clarification, is that too much to ask for?

Well well well...they are discussing points which have value, hardly the attitude to have when they are legitimate issues.(I fail to see where anyone has said you are wrong? I think you are taking this personally) I noticed that in response to a phone call that Colin James had with Justine Heath, she requested that members continue with debate in order for her to put a case together and she would continue to read what was being said from my understanding.

The new system is not working from the evidence of the discussions thus far and pictures that have been submitted. The yellow box issue also has merit, so what's the problem Cllr?
I thik that one of the problems here is that there is no consistency in what we are being told, it's ok to renew a yellow box, which we have told can only be placed when there are traffic lights, and in the case on walnut tree ave this is not the case and yes, once over painted, I am of the same opinion that they then take ownership of that, perhaps Amey would like to comment as I think by the sound of things, you are getting annoyed as your not hearing perhaps what you want to hear. Thumbs-Down.pngThumbs-Down.pngThumbs-Down.png in the beginning your were also not happy and you told us that the new keep clear signs were not laid as you requested;

You had meetings with Amey and discussed all of this, they also sent correspondance out prior to doing the work, so to be fair you should of been well aware of exactly what was going to be done and also the restrictions and guidlines that Amey have to work within.

There just seems to be one rule for them and another for the constiuents, the mere fact that the yellow box in walnut tree ave has been there for a while has nothing to do with it and certainly does nt make it right! I am sure that the same will apply when they renew the line painting on the sign in Barton Road too.

It seems to me that all that is being requested here is some clear clarification, is that too much to ask for?

Ooops, looks like the Cllr has thrown her rattle out of the pram :Surprised_32:  I am sorry but this is a very good debate and some of the points that are being raised I too believe have merit. Phil Rowe has given a sensible reply Thumbs-Up.png

I think you missed the point Cllr

and the point being made was it is clearly not easier to get onto the roundabout judging from the comments made and pictures posted.

I have not missed the point at all! I can only state what the people I saw on Monday said that is I CAN NOW GET ONTO THE ROUNDABOUT NOW THE KEEP CLEAR MARKING ARE THERE! some people doesn't seem to have any trouble as your pictures show others do!

I thik that one of the problems here is that there is no consistency in what we are being told, it's ok to renew a yellow box, which we have told can only be placed when there are traffic lights, and in the case on walnut tree ave this is not the case and yes, once over painted, I am of the same opinion that they then take ownership of that, perhaps Amey would like to comment as I think by the sound of things, you are getting annoyed as your not hearing perhaps what you want to hear. :Thumbs-Down: :Thumbs-Down: :Thumbs-Down: in the beginning your were also not happy and you told us that the new keep clear signs were not laid as you requested;

I am not annoyed, to lose your temper get you nowhere!

The restrictions that were given is that we could not have a yellow box without traffic lights, it was then put to Amey officers could we have a comprimise the keep clear markings, they said they would check and came back saying yes we could, i thought they would be put further into the road and when put in I said just that, since then I have supported the 'arrows' and ask for them to be implimented.

Ooops, looks like the Cllr has thrown her rattle out of the pram :Surprised_32:  I am sorry but this is a very good debate and some of the points that are being raised I too believe have merit. Phil Rowe has given a sensible reply Thumbs-Up.png

I can assure you I have not thrown my rattle out of the pram, i have answer Phil Rowe

The restrictions that were given is that we could not have a yellow box without traffic lights, it was then put to Amey officers could we have a comprimise the keep clear markings, they said they would check and came back saying yes we could, i thought they would be put further into the road and when put in I said just that, since then I have supported the 'arrows' and ask for them to be implimented.

But you not addressing the points raised Cllr. You are annoyed as per your response and refusing to give out the further information from Amey?

It is clear to me that there is no consistency as in other areas they have yellow boxes and the other members have put up a legitimate argument, they are not being funny with you or disagreeing with you but they have raised issues which I think need addressing.

But you not addressing the points raised Cllr. It is clear to me that there is no consistency as in other areas they have yellow boxes and the other members have put up a legitimate argument, they are not being funny with you or disagreeing with you but they have raised issues which I think need addressing.

I have tried to explain in other areas the boxes have been put in years ago ( before I was a Cllr) where I can only presume the Highways Agency thought the area merit the box, the same goes for the larger keep clear marking in Barton Rd. As the A465 does not come under the Highways Agency durisdiction since it was detruncked in 2009 the A465 comes under different rules and restrictions, as I said before Amey and the local authority has to adhere to them, whether they like it or not. Members post may have valid points but Amey has to follow the rules and guidelines they are given by the Dept of transport I hope this clarifies the questions that you and other members have asked. I will continue to ask for additional signs to be put in to help Amey case for them we can only wait for the answer from the dept of transport!

I have tried to explain in other areas the boxes have been put in years ago ( before I was a Cllr) where I can only presume the Highways Agency thought the area merit the box, the same goes for the larger keep clear marking in Barton Rd. As the A465 does not come under the Highways Agency durisdiction since it was detruncked in 2009 the A465 comes under different rules and restrictions, as I said before Amey and the local authority has to adhere to them, whether they like it or not. Members post may have valid points but Amey has to follow the rules and guidelines they are given by the Dept of transport I hope this clarifies the questions that you and other members have asked. I will continue to ask for additional signs to be put in to help Amey case for them we can only wait for the answer from the dept of transport!

Yes I can see that they have guidelines that they have to follow but one of the points put across was just because Amey have overpainted a road sign, that may well have been there for sometime does not necessarily make it right or legal, and once they overpaint it they then have taken full ownership and as you have said have to adhere to the guidelines set out by the DOT. So they should of replaced this yellow box with whatever the guidelines allow. This argument has merit.

We all appreciate your efforts Cllr, and I can see that you were getting frustated with some of the comments but to be fair most of the comments that have been made are good ones.

Oh dear, Slightly unprofessional I would say. Your not going to advise us now on further information in regards to restrictions, how childish is that remark? nevertheless, not interested as one rule for one and another rule for us.

I think this is a really good debate and sometimes you will get questions thrown in, but is that not what a debate is about?

You do not need to keep explaining what restrictions amey have got to follow, i think we got the message on that, but the other questions about yellow boxes and road markings as another member said are valued ones. Walnut tree ave, well spotted, i totally totally agree that now amey have repainted this yellow box then they must have now taken ownership of it, so the questions being asked are fair ones. It is irrelivent that it has been there for a long time, if it is wrong now then it should of been corrected last week. I am going to contact the DOT myself and ask the question, unless Amey would like to comment and put us straight with facts rather than opinion.

Yes I can see that they have guidelines that they have to follow but one of the points put across was just because Amey have overpainted a road sign, that may well have been there for sometime does not necessarily make it right or legal, and once they overpaint it they then have taken full ownership and as you have said have to adhere to the guidelines set out by the DOT. So they should of replaced this yellow box with whatever the guidelines allow. This argument has merit.
We all appreciate your efforts Cllr, and I can see that you were getting frustated with some of the comments but to be fair most of the comments that have been made are good ones.

Interesting read guy's, enjoying this one, some good points and issues being questioned and rightly so  :Happy_32:

Oh dear, Slightly unprofessional I would say. Your not going to advise us now on further information in regards to restrictions, how childish is that remark? nevertheless, not interested as one rule for one and another rule for us.

I think this is a really good debate and sometimes you will get questions thrown in, but is that not what a debate is about?

You do not need to keep explaining what restrictions amey have got to follow, i think we got the message on that, but the other questions about yellow boxes and road markings as another member said are valued ones. Walnut tree ave, well spotted, i totally totally agree that now amey have repainted this yellow box then they must have now taken ownership of it, so the questions being asked are fair ones. It is irrelivent that it has been there for a long time, if it is wrong now then it should of been corrected last week. I am going to contact the DOT myself and ask the question, unless Amey would like to comment and put us straight with facts rather than opinion.

The information received on 31st March is as follows:

Dear Councillor Powell,

Further to your telephone call of 31st March in regarding the use of yellow box junction markings on roundabouts i am pleased to advise as follows:

* the installation on the highway of all road markings is strictly regulated by " The traffic Signs regulations and General Directions 2002" (TSRGD 2002) which is published by the department for Transport and all Highways Authorities have to abide by the provisions contained in this document.

* The TSRGD 2002 yellow box junction markings are found on page 196 and are referred to as diagrams 1043 and 1044.

* TSRGD 2002 states at direction 35 on page 432 - "The road marking shown in diagram 1043 or 1044 shall not be placed to indicate an area of carriageway on a roundabout unless the entry of traffic into the roundabout is at ALL TIMES controlled by traffic light signals"

Accompanying the TSRGD and in order to provide more detailed explanation of its contents there is a book titled " Traffic Signs manual chapter 5 Road Markings"

In this manual item8.39 on page 59 explains why TSRGD does not permit yellow box junction markings on roundabouts and states

" direction 35 prohibits the use of yellow box markings at unsignalled intersections on roundabouts. This is because a circulating vehicle has priority over those entering. If it stops to avoid obstructing the box when its exit is blocked, there by releasing the flow of entering vehicles, there is likely to be uncertainty over re-establishing right of way when the exit is clear again. Moreover, a vehicle stopped in an outer lane might obscure vehicles lawfully contining to circulate on the inner lanes ( whose exit might not be blocked) from the view of drivers entering the roundabout. yellow box markings may, however, be used where traffic entering the roundabout is controlled by signalls at all times".

In essence they are saying that:

* establishing priority between traffic entering a roundabout and traffic that is stationary at a box junction could become confused when traffic that was stationary at a box junction starts moving again.

* the visibility between moving vehicles entering a roundabout and moving lanes of traffic using a roundabout could become obscured by a lane of stationary vehicles stopped at a box junction.

END

Hope this helps.

I agree with Bill Thomas, again the people in Belmont suffer trying to get out of roads because of the lack of support from our Councillors in trying to keep this road traffic island clear for them to get out on to the A465 headng in either direction.

I tried today and the keep clear signs were not working it took me over 5 minuntes form Northolme Road to turn right towards Abergavenny because the exit was blocked (KEEP CLEAR SIGNS)

Waist of tax payers money