What a difference quality streets would make . . .

megilleland

Wouldn't life be great if the street outside your front door felt like your own space? Somewhere to chat with your neighbors, kick a ball with the kids, get about by foot and bike? Somewhere to give us all a better quality of life - a quality street.

For many of us the street outside our front door has become a place of speeding traffic, rat-running, noise and pollution. Its a place for others to travel through rather than for communities to claim as their own.

That's why we want local Councillors to invest more of their local transport budgets to create quality streets. The first step is 20mph speed limits across whole villages, towns and cities. The second is residents being involved in designing their streets for living, playing, and getting out and about more. The result is better quality lives, quality chat and play, and safer more attractive places outside our front doors.

Quality Streets is a campaign to say we want our streets back, and the first step is to slow traffic.

Let your local Councillor know that you want quality streets. Sign up here.

Wouldn't life be great if the street outside your front door felt like your own space? Somewhere to chat with your neighbors, kick a ball with the kids, get about by foot and bike? Somewhere to give us all a better quality of life - a quality street.

For many of us the street outside our front door has become a place of speeding traffic, rat-running, noise and pollution. Its a place for others to travel through rather than for communities to claim as their own.

That's why we want local Councillors to invest more of their local transport budgets to create quality streets. The first step is 20mph speed limits across whole villages, towns and cities. The second is residents being involved in designing their streets for living, playing, and getting out and about more. The result is better quality lives, quality chat and play, and safer more attractive places outside our front doors.

Quality Streets is a campaign to say we want our streets back, and the first step is to slow traffic.

Megilleland, thank you for your correspondence received this morning under separate cover, I have replied to you and Cc Leader of Herefordshire Council relevant officers, Herefordshire Housing Ltd and Muir Housing into my reply.

The reason there are rat runs is because the traffic in Hereford is beyond a joke!! the answer is plain and simple, BYPASS!!

The reason there are rat runs is because the traffic in Hereford is beyond a joke!! the answer is plain and simple, BYPASS!!

The reason the council want a bypass is so that they can build more houses up to the road and get more council tax. These households will be using their cars to come into the town centre and we are back where we started jammed up for a few hours a day. The council needs to remove cars from the centre and build more housing on the car parks. Put the cars underground or up in the air and save space.

The reason the council want a bypass is so that they can build more houses up to the road and get more council tax. These households will be using their cars to come into the town centre and we are back where we started jammed up for a few hours a day. The council needs to remove cars from the centre and build more housing on the car parks. Put the cars underground or up in the air and save space.

I agree with all of what you have said. :Thumbs-Up: And maybe have a park and ride on the outskirts of Hereford, that would free up the city centre.

I agree with all of what you have said. :Thumbs-Up: And maybe have a park and ride on the outskirts of Hereford, that would free up the city centre.

There are already two park and ride one north one south of the city, the problem is the A465 Belmont road is always blocked with the traffic, what would help is if they turn off the lights at Asda roundabout as Colin James suggested. I remember in 2003 when all this came to Central Planning for Asda and the lights I said it would not work, but I was told I didn't know what I was talking about! seven years later look what we have to put up with!

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! This City DESPERATELY needs a bypass and it's about 20 years late!!

I could not agree more. I have just got home after spending over 90 mins in traffic. One accident on the greyfriars bridge again has brought this city to a complete stand still, of course we need a bypass as this is joke!!

The traffic in Hereford today just proves exactly that. :Angry_32:

That's why I cycle in Hereford. I gave up my car 10 years ago and use public transport and hire a car when I need one. Not only does it save me time, but also money. Ok you have to organise yourself a bit, but this hasn't affected my life a great deal. I cycle from Newton Farm to Royal Mail in 14 minutes and can carry a large amount of shopping in my panniers. The problem is too many people in Hereford use their car to go a few miles and spend time driving around the city centre looking for a parking place, when they could easily take public transport or cycle if fit. Just look at the reduction in traffic during school holidays.

Everyone was agreed at the parish meeting that if a bypass is built it will not reduce traffic going into the centre. Plus the thousands of houses to be built, to pay for the road, will only put another 12000 cars back into the city. So it does not look like it is going to cure the problem. So rather than wait for something to happen which may take until 2026 the council should make the city more accessible and open to pedestrians and cyclists. A park and ride could be used for city workers as well as shoppers. I went to Leominster to see my dentist on Monday and it took me an hour and ten minutes to cycle - just a bit longer than driving down Belmont Road. I came back on the train with the bike for £3.50 and had a stress free day.

That's why I cycle in Hereford. I gave up my car 10 years ago and use public transport and hire a car when I need one. Not only does it save me time, but also money. Ok you have to organise yourself a bit, but this hasn't affected my life a great deal. I cycle from Newton Farm to Royal Mail in 14 minutes and can carry a large amount of shopping in my panniers. The problem is too many people in Hereford use their car to go a few miles and spend time driving around the city centre looking for a parking place, when they could easily take public transport or cycle if fit. Just look at the reduction in traffic during school holidays.

Everyone was agreed at the parish meeting that if a bypass is built it will not reduce traffic going into the centre. Plus the thousands of houses to be built, to pay for the road, will only put another 12000 cars back into the city. So it does not look like it is going to cure the problem. So rather than wait for something to happen which may take until 2026 the council should make the city more accessible and open to pedestrians and cyclists. A park and ride could be used for city workers as well as shoppers. I went to Leominster to see my dentist on Monday and it took me an hour and ten minutes to cycle - just a bit longer than driving down Belmont Road. I came back on the train with the bike for £3.50 and had a stress free day.

Of course it will reduce traffic, that's the whole idea with bypasses (traffic bypass the city) hence the word bypass..

Most of the traffic going through Hereford is heading up the A49 to Warrington, everybody who has lived in this city knows that!

WE NEED A BYPASS AND YES WE NEED HOUSES!!

As for using a bike, I drive all around the UK with my job and I have kids that I need to take here and collect from there, so right now that is not an option for me I'm afraid, now, If i need to go into town and I am on my own, then yes I use my bike, but to be fair that is not very often.

12000 more cars? think you have one too many naught's there

Of course it will reduce traffic, that's the whole idea with bypasses (traffic bypass the city) hence the word bypass..

Most of the traffic going through Hereford is heading up the A49 to Warrington, everybody who has lived in this city knows that!

WE NEED A BYPASS AND YES WE NEED HOUSES!!

As for using a bike, I drive all around the UK with my job and I have kids that I need to take here and collect from there, so right now that is not an option for me I'm afraid, now, If i need to go into town and I am on my own, then yes I use my bike, but to be fair that is not very often.

12000 more cars? think you have one too many naught's there

Yes, yes and yes again

Yes, yes and yes again

Sorry 8000 houses is the number to be built within Herefordshire. The number linked to a western bypass is 4500 houses. As 29 per cent of households now own two or more cars compared with 24 per cent ten years ago. (Census 2001) this would produce a minimum figure of 5850 cars potentially heading for the centre of town. Where are they going to park them? Most of the city centre is covered by car parking already - just GoogleEarth Hereford and have a look.

Some more interesting car facts from 2001 census:

In England 27 per cent of households do not own a car or van while 44 per cent of households own just one, 24 per cent own two, 4 per cent own three and 1 per cent own four or more.

The patterns and proportions are similar in Wales where 26 per cent do not own a car, 45 per cent own one, 23 per cent own two, 4 per cent own three and 1 per cent own four or more.

In Inner London over half of households have no car. Outside London, 48 per cent of households in Liverpool and Manchester do not own cars and 45 per cent in Newcastle do not.

In contrast, 6.3 per cent of the South East region own three cars and 2.1 per cent own four or more while in the local authority area of South Bucks one in ten households own three cars and one in 25 own four or more.

The proportion of households owning one car is almost unchanged between 1991 and 2001 at about 44 per cent. However the proportion not owning a car has declined since 1991 from 32 per cent to 27 per cent and the proportion owning two cars has increased from 20 per cent to 23 per cent and three cars and more from 4 per cent to 6 per cent.