Yellow Boxes Needed

I initially suggested this back in May 2008!! not heard anything more since...

Here was my original post on another belmont forum;

I have lived in Belmont for over 19 years, and as the years have gone by, the traffic has got worse. My biggest gripe is when I try to take my children to Kingstone School in the morning. Approach the roundabout from the Tesco side and you are faced with a long line of traffic coming from the Abergavenny direction. I need to go right but traffic is so bad I cannot cross the roundabout until someone lets me out or if I force my way across. We need some yellow boxes here! This would keep the flow of traffic moving. I am surprised that something like this has not yet been enforced.

C James

May 26 2008

• 4 weeks later...

Do we have any updates?

Colin- as I have said to you before I am following up with Amey to put a yellow box in their recommendations for the proposed wotk around the Belmont roundabout which should of started in June, I will speak to them again on Monday as to what the delay is, reminding them again about the yellow box.

Colin- as I have said to you before I am following up with Amey to put a yellow box in their recommendations for the proposed wotk around the Belmont roundabout which should of started in June, I will speak to them again on Monday as to what the delay is, reminding them again about the yellow box.

Okay thanks, I spoke with another resident of Belmont last night and he suggested maybe part time traffic lights which is another option, but the traffic in the morning is a joke. OK I will wait for your update thank you. :Thumbs-Up:

Okay thanks, I spoke with another resident of Belmont last night and he suggested maybe part time traffic lights which is another option, but the traffic in the morning is a joke. OK I will wait for your update thank you. :Thumbs-Up:

I don't think part time traffic lights is the answer in my opinion, the tail back is caused by the Asda traffic lights, everyone knows the traffic flows freely when the Asda traffic lights are not working.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are now almost into August, any updates on the roundabout?

• 1 month later...

We are now in September, do we have any further empty promises from Amey on this simple request?

:Angry_32:

Colin, I have spoken with Amey about the work that should of comenced in June also mentioning my request for the yellow box, Andrew Lee Jones, the officer dealing with this work is on holiday until 13th Sept I have left a message that I want an update on this work and when it will be carried out.

:Angry_32:

Colin, I have spoken with Amey about the work that should of comenced in June also mentioning my request for the yellow box, Andrew Lee Jones, the officer dealing with this work is on holiday until 13th Sept I have left a message that I want an update on this work and when it will be carried out.

Thanks for the update Glen, I am beginning to think Amey are a law to themselves, virtually all requests over the past year have been ignored! they may well be telling you that they have scheduled work in but its just not being done.

• 2 weeks later...

We are now in September, do we have any further empty promises from Amey on this simple request?

I have spoken to Andrew Lee-Jones this afternoon in regard to the road works that should of commenced in June also my request for a yellow box, he has promised me he will make some enquiries and get back to me tomorrow. I advised him that I have been waiting for six months for an answer if one is still not received by Monday I will be making a complain to the management of Amey. Watch this space!

I have spoken to Andrew Lee-Jones this afternoon in regard to the road works that should of commenced in June also my request for a yellow box, he has promised me he will make some enquiries and get back to me tomorrow. I advised him that I have been waiting for six months for an answer if one is still not received by Monday I will be making a complain to the management of Amey. Watch this space!

Maybe a good call :Thumbs-Up:

Did he call you Glen?

What about looking at the time the traffice lights are on green for the Belmont Road. The A49 has 2 carriageway from Walnut Tree Avenue and thus this helps with the traffice flow. As the Belmont Road is single right out of the city on to the A465.

If the A465 is increased even only for another 30 seconds then is it not obvious this would help with the flow on this Road

comments be welcome

• 1 month later...

What about looking at the time the traffice lights are on green for the Belmont Road. The A49 has 2 carriageway from Walnut Tree Avenue and thus this helps with the traffice flow. As the Belmont Road is single right out of the city on to the A465.

If the A465 is increased even only for another 30 seconds then is it not obvious this would help with the flow on this Road

comments be welcome

Yes this could work, the whole Belmont road saga is a real nightmare, so any suggestion has to be a good one.

• 2 weeks later...

:Thumbs-Down: :Angry_32: As you know I have been fighting hard to get yellow boxes installed at the junction of Abbotsmead Road to Tesco roundabout. I received the following report today after requesting a site visit which I arranged for last week, and which Cllr Edwards also attended.

Dear Cllr Powell

In reguard to yours and Cllr Edwards requests for yellow box markings to be implemented on the A465 Belmont Tesco Roundabout, as stated at last weeks meeting. The Department of Transport chapter 5 of the traffic signals manual paragraph 12.3 states. "the Directions do not permit the use of yellow box markings at roundabouts unless traffic entering the box is controlled by signals at all times" both yourself and Cllr Edwards were of the opinion that the signalisation of the roundabout is not something that either of you would request or support.

In addition as yellow box markings may at times require enforcement, the views of the police are extremely important. As I informed you both at the meeting, if yellow box markings are not permitted at this location by the Department for Transport, the police would be unable to enforce. In regard to this matter I emailed Bob Haynes traffic Management Advisor for Hereford police to obtain his views, and I received a reply this morning. Bob comments were " it is appreciated that traffic is nose to tail in the peak periods and that access onto the roundabout from these two locations is sometimes difficult. However from the police perspective I am unable to support yellow box markings being installed on belmont roundabout, when chapter 5 does not allow this, without signals being installed". As promised at the meeting I have also discussed this matter with my manager and two other work collegues, who are also of the opinion that, if the yellow box markings are not permittedby the Department of Transport at this location then we are unable to implement them.

As stated at the meeting however, one option would be to implement "keep clear" markings on the roundabout, as this is permitted by the Department for transport. An example of these markings is in St Nicholas Street at it's entrance to Deans Court, near Greyfriars bridge. I would be grateful on your views of this option.

Should you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Justine.

Well as you are fully aware I made this request as far back as May 2008, so it's taken over two years for them to come back with just red tape!! I bet none of these people live in the area, so they would not appreciate the problems we face EVERYDAY!

I suppose that KEEP CLEAR written on the road serves the same purpose, so maybe we she opt for that to achieve some conclusion and closure on this matter, otherwise we will end up will nothing.

Thank you for the update and I await to see how long this now takes in anticipation...

Well as you are fully aware I made this request as far back as May 2008, so it's taken over two years for them to come back with just red tape!! I bet none of these people live in the area, so they would not appreciate the problems we face EVERYDAY!

I suppose that KEEP CLEAR written on the road serves the same purpose, so maybe we she opt for that to achieve some conclusion and closure on this matter, otherwise we will end up will nothing.

Thank you for the update and I await to see how long this now takes in anticipation...

I did mention that one of my constituents had made the request for yellow boxes in 2008 at the meeting last week. I intend to go and see the "keep Clear" markings this weekend and to see the effect they makeon the traffic. I will then make my report and recommendations to Amey early next week.

Meetings and more meetings then all this red tape, no wonder the country is such a state, something so simple as sending someone to spray a yellow square box on a road to make life a little easier for our road users, and after two and a half years then they say no! :Angry_32: how pathetic, really.

The efforts of our councillors is appreciated, but this is just ridiculous. :Thumbs-Down:

Meetings and more meetings then all this red tape, no wonder the country is such a state, something so simple as sending someone to spray a yellow square box on a road to make life a little easier for our road users, and after two and a half years then they say no! :Angry_32: how pathetic, really.

The efforts of our councillors is appreciated, but this is just ridiculous. :Thumbs-Down:

ha ha you watch them go and put it in the wrong place :Laughing_32: