Hereford Tip - I am surprised that there is not more fly tipping!

Colin James

My son recently moved out and I decided to redecorate his old room. I will purchase a double bed and keep it as a guest room. I removed his old tiny 2.6 small single divan and thought I would take it to the tip yesterday (Sunday 27th January). If only I know what a palaver I was in for I would not have bothered! 

I drive a people carrier (Mercedes Vito), like the one below complete with rear seat and glass rear doors as per the photograph. We arrived at the tip at Rotherwas and I was asked by a chap who's name was Tim, what I had to tip, I replied just my sons single bed, he told me it would need to go into land fill and showed me where to park. As I parked up he then seamed to change his mind and asked me if I had a permit? A permit? I have not been to the tip in years so I was not sure what permit he was referring too, I explained that I was driving a people carrier and I was tipping just a bed, he then went to his little office and came out with a lithograph and pointed to a commercial van, I again explained that I have glass panels and seats in the back, he said you cannot tip here without a permit, I asked where do obtain a permit? Because I had the bed loaded already. He explained that it takes a few weeks and that I need to apply online but basically I could not tip this bed, I was frustrated and told him I would dump it on the side of the road (clearly I was not going to do that but I was angry). 

29039379.thumb.jpg.49e875f902a963f9b277a1f05a3a04c5.jpg

mwRXoFu.thumb.jpg.1e136727ff9e177130b714cc829897e0.jpg

I telephoned a friend and he told me to take it to Ross on Wye, yes Ross on Wye! So I drove to Ross and I was told I could park outside and carry the bed onto the site, which is exactly what I did, how pathetic is this?? 

It is no wonder we so much fly tipping when they make it so difficult to take our old items. 

I am also confused as to how they expect anyone to drop off a bed in the absence of a larger vehicle of a van, you could not get it into a average car anyway, so had I not have the vehicle I would of borrowed my mates van anyway...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Frustrated 2

You will be surprised at just how much fly tipping there is Colin.
I'm possibly going to court as a witness to the fly tipping at a certain location in Hereford that has already had six people caught& fined for dumping.
I was asked to clear dumped rubbish and found plenty of evidence as to who the rubbish belonged to,one had the rubbish removed by someone advertising on facebook and

the other was dumping a huge amount of rubbish from clearing a house.He denied dumping the rubbish but was caught because he was using a company van that has a tracking device fitted showing him going from the house to the dumping location on six occasions late at night. :Grin:.

Notice Balfour Beatty's name popping up in the rise of this company. Rings true that where there is muck there is money.

In 1998 Mercia Waste Management Ltd (a joint venture in which Urbaser Ltd is a 50% partner) entered into an initial 25 year integrated waste management PFI contract with Worcestershire County Council and Herefordshire Council, marking Urbaser Ltd’s first environmental services contract in the UK.

Operations commenced on EnviroSort, a 105,000 tonne per year materials recycling facility as part of the 25 year integrated waste management PFI contract with Worcestershire County Council and Herefordshire Council.

Urbaser Ltd and its partner Balfour Beatty entered into a residual waste treatment PFI contract with Essex County Council and Southend-on-Sea Borough Council for the design, construction, commissioning and 25 year operation of a mechanical biological treatment facility in Basildon.

Urbaser Ltd and its partner Balfour Beatty entered into a residual waste treatment PFI contract with Gloucestershire County Council for the design, construction and commissioning, and 25 year operation of an energy-from-waste facility in Haresfield, Gloucestershire.

Urbaser Ltd Balfour Beatty have begun construction of Gloucestershire’s Javelin Park energy-from-waste facility. The facility will generate around 14.5 MW of electricity for export, which is enough to power 25,000 homes and is expected to be fully operational in late 2019.

UKUrbaser Ltd is proud to be celebrating its 20-year anniversary of operating in the UK, having first registered its name with Companies House on 14th December 1998. with the 25-year integrated waste management PFI contract with Worcestershire County Council and Herefordshire County Council. This contract has seen the construction of the EnviroSort Materials Recycling Facility, which processes 105,000 tonnes of materials per year; the EnviRecover Energy from Waste Facility, which processes recovers energy from 200,000 tonnes of waste per year; and, the management of Household Waste Recycling Centres, Waste Transfer Stations, Landfills and Composting Facilities.

When my grandmother passed away I was tasked with clearing some of the stuff, I also had a house move to clear up after. Could not get all the stuff to the tip in my car, and permits, combined with the cost of a hire van, were going to cost a fortune.

My solution Colin? I went to Kingsland car auctions and bought a knackered people carrier, taxed and insured it, took the seats out, loaded it up and got on with it. No issues at the tip. None of this was commercial waste, but I had little choice.

Also, one day I was going passed the tip and needed to get rid of an ironing board. Turned into chapel road to be confronted by a massive queue. Parked up properly and attempted to walk onto the site to dispose of the damn thing. Oh my god! They went bonkers. Waving their arms and shouting. Apparently, you're not allowed to walk IN, but you can walk around once you've DRIVEN IN!!!!!!! I had to walk past all the grinning drivers with the ironing board under my arm! Completed my round trip to Gloucester with an ironing board along for the ride!!! You can imagine it was sorely tempting to "dispose of it", but I never would, you can just see how some people do when they're faced with obstructive "rules"

I heard from a reliable source that regardless of vehicle if one of your parents has passed away and you explain that you are tipping the contents from their house they have to let you tip. I am also aware that you can park outside and walk the rubbish in, so whats the bloody difference? They are just making it difficult for genuine people too, it is no wonder that people dump mattresses and chairs etc

9 hours ago, Frank Smith said:

I heard from a reliable source that regardless of vehicle if one of your parents has passed away and you explain that you are tipping the contents from their house they have to let you tip. I am also aware that you can park outside and walk the rubbish in, so whats the bloody difference? They are just making it difficult for genuine people too, it is no wonder that people dump mattresses and chairs etc

I don't think you can walk in with rubbish Frank.

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine went in his works van to drop off five or six bags of grass cuttings only. He was promptly stopped and accused of depositing trade waste. When being questioned he argued how in any way does grass cutting relate to roofing. Still the the attendant said it was trade waste, so my friend then points to some tiles and bags of trade rubbish in his van, the bloke said no can't take that trade rubbish. Again questioned about grass cuttings and adamant it was trade. So finally my friend points to a big slab of scrap lead at the back of the van, to which the attendant promptly opens the back doors and said yes we'll take that! Needless to say he was told by my friend - NO THATS TRADE WASTE MATE!  and where to go -  politely!!

I have a 4x4 SUV and keep getting told it's a trade vehicle, despite having two child seats in the rear and a boot smaller than an erde trailer- which all the old boys from the allotments use; isn't that trade waste?

I was also wondering why there is a mixed skip of rubble and soil? Surely these would be easier to recycle separately?

To top it all off they then charge you to buy back your grass clippings as compost!!

I think the attendants think they are on a power trip, knowing that you have limited place to dispose your rubbish. Jokers United.

• Frustrated 1

On 30/01/2019 at 10:42, Colin James said:

I walked my bed into Ross tip, I just had to ring the bell on the entrance, this sets of a mini siren to warn people of pedestrians, not sure about Hereford tip.

You cannot walk into Hereford tip, others are different, Ledbury for one.

You have my sympathy.

Not the easiest of places when disposing of ordinary waste/recycle. Loads of staff stood around talking amongst themselves and appear to be simply waiting for someone to do the wrong thing. No attempt to be helpful.

Whilst I hate fly tipping I can see that the service offered does not encourage people.

• 1 month later...

I reported this fly-tipping to the very slow moving Council Twitter Account. The person(s) tasked with running it must be totally bored! Anyhow .... I got a reply .... It was suggested to me that I needed to report the issue. I was then given a link to the Organisation who had just replied to me! So I could report it! 

Yet another fly tipping case brought to the courts

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/17599335.fly-tipping-family-must-pay-more-than-1000/?action=bulletin_click&sent_id=822651069&secret=772875&ref=ebln

and another fly tipping incidence into the River Wye near to Bredwardine.

This is all costing us the tax payer a small fortune.

It is a great shame that the Council cannot set up a register of  legit "scrap people" who have permits. The Council issue the permits so they have all the info to hand.

Many people are innocently handing over money to these scoundrels to take their rubbish away and then it is being fly tipped in the countryside.  

Like a lot of other issues in Herefordshire this is becoming a ridiculous situation.

• 2 years later...

So my parents are converting a minibus into a camper van, phoned up to confirm that they would take the seats and also queried that they would allow the minibus in, even told them it had 14 seats that we've to be scrapped, they assured us it was fine, booked a slot.

Turned up.. suddenly we need a permit, we literally phoned an hour prior to visiting to make sure it was ok told them we would turn up in a minibus... completely wasted visit.