Plans to demolish the Broadleys Pub!

Hereford Voice

Plans to demolish the Broadleys Pub!  - ( 3 years on from the original proposal here ) 

Co-Op proposal dampens the Christmas Spirit.

Residents are up in arms that the Co-Op have drop leaflets to their houses this evening with proposals to demolish their local The Broadleys Pub and replace it with a Co-op store! 

1661012623_BroadleysPubHereford.jpg.2ceb6cacbb40cd1e300264e954d67a0f.jpg

Tonight is the annual community carol service which is always well attended by the community and disappointment in the Co-Op is palpable.

Mark Haslam from Herefordshire CAMRA said:

“This is a very disappointing development. There is no need for another convenience store, but there certainly is the need for a pub to serve the local community. What is more, to leaflet local residents on the day of their annual carol service is nothing short of contemptible. We will be helping the local community fight these proposals.”

NewRiver the owners of The Broadleys Public House appear to be quite ept at grabbing pubs all over the country for their investment purposes.

NewRiver owns over 650 community pubs across the UK.
We are highly active owners and managers who work closely with our stakeholders to help create value and drive the performance of our pubs. We focus on developing sustainable developments, building long term relationships and working with experienced partners to identify projects to improve, extend or re-activate space to create new ways of generating footfall, enhancing the customer environment and driving profitability.

But not obviously The Broadleys. I see that Poundland in Maylords is in their portfolio. I thought Maylords was owned by the council?

Polityuk.com
Difficult to find anything about this company, although I came across this objection to a scheme in Newcombe House, 45 Notting Hill Gate, 39-41 Notting Hill Gate and 161-237 (odd) Kensington Church Street, LONDON

(extract)

As a 'local neighbour' we received a flyer through the door recently
from someone called 'Lee' from an organisation calling itself
'Polityuk.com' presumably a PR person working for Notting Hill Gate
KCS.

As a piece of propaganda, it was showing us that, as residents,
there was simply no point in objecting any more as, although the
Council Inspector had dismissed the appeal, he had basically
decided he liked it: 'dismissing the appeal should not necessarily
prevent the development going ahead...' and didn't think it was too
tall, thought the impact on local residents wouldn't be that bad and
that the benefits to the local community would clearly outweigh any
impact to them.

The reason the inspector dismissed the appeal was due to the lack
of provision of 'social housing on-site'. 

Seems that Polityuk adopt the same approach on all these developments. We know what is good for you!

12 hours ago, megilleland said:

But not obviously The Broadleys. I see that Poundland in Maylords is in their portfolio. I thought Maylords was owned by the council?

According to the HT from 2014, "Herefordshire Council  owns the freehold for Maylord which is worth more than £33k a year in rent."

I recall that they originally had a share in the development along with original developers Norwich Union, both of whom subsequently sold out.

twowheels good:

According to the HT from 2014, "Herefordshire Council  owns the freehold for Maylord which is worth more than £33k a year in rent." I recall that they originally had a share in the development along with original developers Norwich Union, both of whom subsequently sold out.

From Hereford Times 2nd May 2014 reporting by Bill Tanner.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...