Aylestone Voice

Change at the Council

23 hours ago, Aylestone Voice said:

Looks like Geoff Hughes has resigned

(awaits list of conspiracy theories!)

Are you able to elaborate on this news for us a bit more please AV?…as I thought this would be headline news over on HT but there is nothing running on their site about this?…admittedly HT are not the quickest but now you've let the cat out of the back I'm intrigued to learn a little more…that is if you know why he's resigned?

If he has, technically he's 'Director for economy, communities and corporate' not 'Economy and Place' (although this could be yet another rebrand we're not yet aware of) I'm not so sure he's had enough AV as seen, perhaps, the writing on the wall - like the impending bankruptcy of HCC (joining Northampton and Torbay and many more to come if central goverment funding does come to an end in 2020). Perhaps he's worked out with no council assets left to get that dear old self-interested halfwit Harry Bramer to sign of sales on, he may have clicked that the end, financially, is coming quicker than he and some of his associates may have planned for and his almost personal ambition (alongside dear old Roger Boy) of a Western By-pass may not only not come to pass but may fail scrutiny by the Secretary of State very shortly, with serious repercussions for him and his senior colleagues - who have wasted an inordinate and obscene amount of the local public purse in trying to get depairing consultants WSP to prove a sufficent case for?

Maybe he just got fed up of constantly telling officers and consultants not 'to put anything in writing because it will be subject to FOI requests'. Or maybe he actually hasn't had enough as the head of his non-statutory department (140 grand per annum plus), which is why he's apparently touting for business already as a private advisor to Welsh councils.

Whatever the case I hope the rumour is true (or is it Richard Ball). He leaves in September apparently and the Secretary of State call inspection begins in Oct. Perhaps the cabinet can get him back on a consultancy basis if things start to look decidedly wobbly under the eye of an objective and experienced goverment inspector.

Edited by John Harrington

May I formally propose that Bobby 47 be appointed HC's new Director for Economy and Place. £140k per annum is but a drop in the ocean for the breadth of intellect that this man will bring to the job. Apart from anything else, on his first days work at The Plough Lane Palace, King Bobby will be able to bring in a firm of Silly Name-Making Consultants, with the specific commission of dreaming up an even more absurd (and gramatically-impossible) title for this non-job than Director for Place & Economy.

• Like 1

If ever I got the chance to get into Plough Lane, it'd be like turning the public service model clock back to Year bloody Zero. I'd be like Pol bloody Pot, but a kind and goodly soul who was unburdened and without his narcissistic psychological faults and his need to collect skulls.

To begin the culling and leaving their blood on the carpets, my approach to cleaning up the whole gaff would be a combination of an ordained Catholic Priest carrying out an exorcism, Dyno Rod flushing out the drains and Rent O Kill driving out the vermin.

Then, after the whole cleaning up job I'd get all the staff together and I'd tell them, 'from hereon, there'll be no more bullsh.it' and I'd tell them to curtail their use of bloody email.

And if there was any bullsh.it spoken, no matter by whom, I'd have a zero tolerance toward it. If I heard it, got wind of it or some ally told me about the bullsh.it, they'd be up in front of me desk and I'd tell them, 'you've been bullsh.itting. You're on your final warning.

Thats what I'd do! Second day I'd begin me search to find the Chief Executive. I'm certain he doesn't exist but if I'm wrong and he is real and he's in there hiding I'd send him packing, probably through the top floor window with an instruction, 'be gone and don't come back. Your days of bloody outsourcing anything that's in your rotten in-tray are at an end. Clear off and take you're George Medal with you'.

And that's just in two days! There's lots that needs to be done but in a month I reckon I'd have the good ship Plough Lane steering a steady course away from the fiscal brink and back to safer waters where common sense and good economic governance became the normal.

Then, after I'd sorted the whole place out, supped me way through God knows how much ale, folk could knock on me door saying, 'pull your pants up we're coming in' and they could politely ask me to leave because my work was done.

And I'd bloody go! There'd be no siege or barricading me door to continue me reign of terror. I'd pop me stuff in a bag, say me fare thee bloody wells and I'd get back in the Commercial where I belong with the lads.

And that's what I'd do Nick and Martin. No more. No less.

• Like 1

Anticipating the confirmation of King Bobby's appointment, Silly Name-Making Consultants inc (formerly Cambridge Analytica) have come up with: Director for Smiley People, Tree-Huggers and Feel Good Environments. Hoople has been commissioned to design a logo to go on all public toilets (currently closed), bus stops (services suspended due to the heat wave) and litter bins.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 06/07/2018 at 17:55, Aylestone Voice said:

Looks like Geoff Hughes has resigned

(awaits list of conspiracy theories!)

I'd hazard a guess fallout from Blue School House. He's got history of pushing building projects through even when the contractual arrangements aren't water tight. This last fiasco could be a cock up too far?

Anyone know if he's copping for a nice big bung when he goes? That's the Herefordshire way after all.

On 08/07/2018 at 23:02, John Harrington said:

. . . the writing on the wall - like the impending bankruptcy of HCC (joining Northampton and Torbay and many more to come if central goverment funding does come to an end in 2020). Perhaps he's worked out with no council assets left to get that dear old self-interested halfwit Harry Bramer to sign of sales on, he may have clicked that the end, financially, is coming quicker than he and some of his associates may have planned for and his almost personal ambition (alongside dear old Roger Boy) of a Western By-pass may not only not come to pass but may fail scrutiny by the Secretary of State very shortly, with serious repercussions for him and his senior colleagues - who have wasted an inordinate and obscene amount of the local public purse in trying to get depairing consultants WSP to prove a sufficent case for?

Northants County Council on the brink. A conservative run council who are looking at ways to take further money off people to keep them afloat.

Council leader Matthew Golby said that, in order to make cuts to balance its budget as required by law, it would also breach its statutory duty to provide core services, such as those for vulnerable children or elderly and disabled adults.

Well that's alright then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now that Geoff Hughes has officially left the building - not least at a very opportune moment by all accounts.  Is he to be replaced or has there been a reshuffle of the existing employees and in some cases quite substantial pay rises?

I wonder just how long it will be before Geoff Hughes comes back as a consultant

• Like 1