New bridge 'a distraction to motorists' says Highways England

ragwert

I have just seen someones reply to an e-mail to Highways England regarding the state of the railings over the New bridge.

What do you think, back in November I wrote to Highways England in connection with Greyfriars Bridge asking when they would re paint or replace the railings. Suddenly a week ago they called me, they had commissioned a report into the state of the railings, they agree that it needs repainting and this is planned for 2020/21 financial year, so I success I thought, until I read the report that they emailed me. As part of the report there is also a report from there Health and Safety people. ‘ the open aspect of the bridge is seen as a distraction and they plan to solve this by blanking off the railings over the bridge where you can see the river and also add a further fence on top of the railings so that nobody will be distracted by the river as they cross the bridge’ from that I read that a 6’ to 8’ fence would be erected the length of the bridge. I have asked both the Hereford Times and Your Herefordshire to further question Highways England over their proposal, but interested to hear what residents of Hereford feel about this proposal.

That's very interesting Ragwert .

It appears that the Councils ( both of them ) are going to " smarten up " the City and the approach roads in preparation for the Poppies , Weeping Window display at the Cathedral during the period 14th March to the 29th April , at least 2000 visitors are expected each day , going on from that , as it's school holiday time this number could be doubled.

The display is going to be excellent and in the fullness of time if you see it you will be able to say " I was there " .

I agree, the railings are a mess in general, but a great big long, high, solid fence will look horrible and very unwelcoming as you enter our city. Also, the view of the river may well be a distraction in some ways, but have there ever been any accidents due to this? Didn't I read last week that roads are now deliberately going to be built where they have a view in order to help stimulate drivers and help to keep them awake?

I read the same post on Facebook and responded to (Andrew Wood but I notice today he has removed me as a friend) it but Colin James mentioned this back in the pothole thread in 2013 http://www.herefordvoice.co.uk/topic/988-go-careful-pot-holes/?hl=%2Bpot+%2Bholes

I see that they have repaired the road just past St Nicholas church on Victoria St but I did notice a huge pothole along the slip road leading towards B & Q and I mean huge! 

The Greyfriars Bridge has also got potholes on the footpath. The whole bridge is due to be re-painted and railings repaired but this is not planned until at least the 2018/19. 

The health and Safety brigade also want to close in the railings to stop motorists looking through as they drive across, we will have to put up a fight if that happens.

I read the same post on Facebook and responded to (Andrew Wood but I notice today he has removed me as a friend) it but Colin James mentioned this back in the pothole thread in 2013 http://www.herefordvoice.co.uk/topic/988-go-careful-pot-holes/?hl=%2Bpot+%2Bholes

This has been on the cards for years but I never really highlighted it because it was not planned until 2019 and now I read it could even be 2020 however, maybe a new topic is required, I will take some photographs and create a topic and possible petition in an attempt to prevent a wall being erected.

I had the opportunity to consider this yesterday whilst sat in traffic on the bridge. There are walls either side and at either end, but interestingly, the original design incorporates railings where the view is something worth looking at, so obviously, the original intention was to actually give a view of the river. Why go backwards?

No doubt this will be approved by HC! It got me thinking with all this new infrastructure planning, and the tree huggers etc, why not compromise? Hereford must be the only City in the world without a bypass, underpass or flyover within the network.

Don’t start preaching, we can’t, we live on a flood plain blah blah blah. Mersey tunnel, Chunnel,Watford gap, LONDON! J6M6 no such thing as can’t!

The scheme has now been scrapped by Highways England.

spokesman for Highways England, which is responsible for maintaining the A49, said: "We were considering a number of options which had included a visibility fence. This is not something we’ll be taking forward but we are looking at signage and lining on the road to further improve safety in future."

The scheme has now been scrapped by Highways England.

spokesman for Highways England, which is responsible for maintaining the A49, said: "We were considering a number of options which had included a visibility fence. This is not something we’ll be taking forward but we are looking at signage and lining on the road to further improve safety in future."

Yes, never thought for one minute this idea would get off the ground. This was a petition and uproar waiting to happen.