Hillside Rehabilitation Centre to Close

Colin James

We have learned today that the Hillside Rehabilitation Centre in Redhill, Hereford is likely to close next month.

The Hillside unit is a reablement unit located in the south of the city, and is funded by the NHS and Herefordshire Council.
The modern, well-equipped facility was built in 2003.

As of today the centre would need to place at least 50 patients.

Hillside Centre.jpg

Hillside is a 22 bedroom rehabilitation centre that is owned by Herefordshire Council, therefore it is the council who will probably sell the centre. Councillor Paul Rone  is the cabinet member for health and social care. I spoke to him before Christmas about Hillside he told me he will come back to me when a decision has been made, But I think that decision has already been made.

While I was in Hereford hospital for two months I witness the need for Hillside, people were blocking beds, doctors were telling elderly people they needed the beds yet they were not sending people to Hillside, instead they were talking to their children and getting them to pay for nursing home care. Then people with mental health conditions were being put onto cardiac wards to give the nursing homes they came from respite, we had six people with mental health conditions in one time.

Having been in hospital over the past week, with hospital transport home we had to take an elderly gentleman to Hillside, the paramedics advised me that they were surprised to find the gentleman had been given a bed in the kitchen the only space left in the facility. this is appalling he should not of been discharged from the hospital, and Hillside should of told them there was no bedrooms vacant . Apparently I have been advised that there is to be a public meeting about the closure to enable people to comment on the closure.

I have a friend who's father was sent home last week. He had a mild stroke just before Christmas and also has dementia. 

Now the care plan that has been put in place is 3 visits at his home each day - 0900 - 1300 - 1730 and that is it.

He has an alarm type watch but because his is confused and does not know what this is really for he always takes it off. Then there is another device that sets off an alarm and pops up a tablet when one is due to be taken, clever device however, pretty pointless when the old guy does not take the tablet.

There is a book or journal to record each visit but basically this is just a tick box exercise because all that seems to happen is that the nurse calling has to fill in the book to show that they have visited. They ask my friends father if he has eaten and taken his tablets to which he usually replies YES, even though quite often this is not the case.

My friend called on his father on Friday at 1715 and the nurse had already been and gone, they are supposed to be with the patient for at least 30 mins, clearly this is not happening. From the last visit of the day, lets say 1730 he is on his own for just under 16 hours until 0900 the following morning. 

This gentleman is confused enough but he is becoming more and more frustrated and anxious and asking constantly who are all these people in his house, because it is usually different nurses visiting him.

Surely, this exercise is costing a lot more and the patient is only receiving limited care, whereas in the unit there is 24 care and supervision.

None of this really makes sense either financially or on a social care level.

This  has been happening with some carers for years they just call in do the basics and go. It is not necessarily the carer's fault but because their rotas are so tight the carers have to keep moving.

We have a frighteningly deplorable dangerous situation developing and yet nobody in authority seems to realise it is bomb waiting to be detonated! Sorry not a phrase I should use but can't think of an alternative  one after having heard of so many desperate situations over the last few days

The care industry has been in crisis for some time now and sadly it is peaking.  I fear for the future of many needy people.

Nobody wants to pay for care anymore, but families expect someone else to deal with it! I was made aware just recently of an elderly person in desperate need of respite care. The children were advised by lawyers to sell the property and pocket the proceeds as according to parents wishes. This in turn then left the parents with no assets to fund private placements and the LA would deal with it! Sounds all too familiar.

My great aunt HAD to sell her property to fund residential care in the end, the authorities already helped her also as she was a spinster. As soon a my mother applied for power of attorney (as my aunt (96) was now bombarded with LA letters and the like and confused) the authorities were all over Mum. Every single penny of my mums and my aunts scrutinised. The LA even wanted a copy of the funeral expenses and demanded over £400 for some bursaries or something that they hadn’t accounted for!! All done and dusted Mum then received a tax bill for the little remaining money!!

In my opinion, if you have a property to sell to fund your care then so be it, why would you need it anymore surely your health outweighs financial benefits?

Yes I own my house. I was never fortunate to inherit one. I have insurance to cover all eventualities. Knowing that my hard earned money will not cost my family or LA a penny is probably one of the wisest decisions I’ve made.

I also know that by the time I require assistance the cost would be inflated considerably by today’s values, but isn’t that what paying insurance is about? My house is my child’s.

We work for everything receive nothing and expect our children to follow suit.

Colin, Denise,

Having worked for numerous care companies over the years I have seen it’s demise, and all through greed! I was being paid £7p/h my client was being charged £19p/h!

I was then let’s say with one client till 1230 then my next client would be booked 1245 on with a traveling time of 25mins between the two. No lunch break as we’re supposed to eat in between calls. This is the problem.

Also care/residential homes are now taking on more needy clients as they require more care with more income with no more staff!!!

A local independent company I worked for has recently been sold to a large multinational company, who can commit the funds for care. The workforce has also had a 45% turnover! Workload increases but pay remains the same.

If you want to see real care in the community visit Switzerland. A basic health care assistant is on £25 per hour compared to our £7, and what our HCAs do, in Switzerland would be covered by a nurse. Most requiring care have only one or two, to help them stay independent or friends as they’re known. Medication is not given by HCAs.

Denise the answer to your question is NO, they will not do anything, and the actual ward councillor for Redhill where Hillside is situated is the cabinet member for health and Social Care for the Conservatives who are selling Hillside. Having just this weekend come back out of hospital I cannot do anything at the moment but I can assure you I will be at the public consultation, and I will be taking up the fight with possibly a piece in the HT. Glenda

Nobody wants to pay for care anymore, but families expect someone else to deal with it! I was made aware just recently of an elderly person in desperate need of respite care. The children were advised by lawyers to sell the property and pocket the proceeds as according to parents wishes. This in turn then left the parents with no assets to fund private placements and the LA would deal with it! Sounds all too familiar.

My great aunt HAD to sell her property to fund residential care in the end, the authorities already helped her also as she was a spinster. As soon a my mother applied for power of attorney (as my aunt (96) was now bombarded with LA letters and the like and confused) the authorities were all over Mum. Every single penny of my mums and my aunts scrutinised. The LA even wanted a copy of the funeral expenses and demanded over £400 for some bursaries or something that they hadn’t accounted for!! All done and dusted Mum then received a tax bill for the little remaining money!!

In my opinion, if you have a property to sell to fund your care then so be it, why would you need it anymore surely your health outweighs financial benefits?

Yes I own my house. I was never fortunate to inherit one. I have insurance to cover all eventualities. Knowing that my hard earned money will not cost my family or LA a penny is probably one of the wisest decisions I’ve made.

I also know that by the time I require assistance the cost would be inflated considerably by today’s values, but isn’t that what paying insurance is about? My house is my child’s.

We work for everything receive nothing and expect our children to follow suit.

I do not agree, it is unfair that someone who owns a property and have worked all their lives to achieve this goal now have to sell it in order to pay for the old age care, yet someone who has been a lazy sod for most of their lives, claiming all sorts of benefits and having their rent paid for can be in the same care home without having to pay a penny, how is that fair? 

Oh well Glenda I have asked that it be included in our next Parish Council meeting.  Our Ward Councillor normally attends and whether it does any good or not at least we will be voicing an opinion about it.  I encourage all other Parish Councils with meetings prior to 26 January to include it in their Agendas. 

We need places like this, unfortunately the funding isn't available for them anymore.

My dad will be 85 this year, and needs constant care from my mum (who is 84) - she enquired about care if something happened to her, and she was quoted in the region of £900 per week!!! That is why we have so many problems, the care industry is allowed to charge what they like, effectively bleeding our elderly of all their savings. I know it is a difficult job, surely they don't have to charge as much as they do though? Especially when the actual carers are usually just above minimum wage, once again, the CEO's and board of directors take a big salary for eating biscuits and drinking coffee.

• 2 weeks later...