The Church of Freedom and Rough Sleepers

Clarkester

Roger, with all due respect, the council aren't a christian "Religion" that claim to be all charitable and helpful to the poor and needy.

FC on the other hand, Christian, charitable, all good and holy, and rubbish like that, had a meeting to discuss the fact that those in need were using their doorway, now...  The choices that they came up with speak volumes on their attitudes:

• Call the police
  • Offer them sanctuary and breakfast
  • block them out

I would say, two of those choices are not particularly christian, and they chose one of them.  I find that decision rather sad to be honest.

I've just re-read my opening line here....  I am chuckling to myself...  Council...  Helpful to the poor and needy...  Sorry Roger.

I know I'm possibly labouring the point now, but this story in the HT speaks volumes of the differences between the "Freedom Church" and a normal, caring charitable cause...

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/15598690.Winter_shelter_for_homeless_re_opens_next_month/

Open door, or closed, locked and roller-shuttered door?

In defence of the FC or any other business, I would not want drunks and vagabonds roughing it out and urinating in my entrance either and yes this was going on there before anyone jumps down my throat. I am sure that if genuine homeless people jut used the entrance for some shelter but then moved on without leaving a mess during the day it may be a different situation.

In all fairness though, FC is a church...  Not a business...

They profess to be a bible believing group as this paragraph, lifted from their website professes:

BELIEFS

We are wholeheartedly committed to building a church that reaches people who don't yet know God. We present the timeless message of the gospel in modern and relevant ways. The message is sacred and not to be altered, but our approach and method is always open to change. We are a Bible-believing church with a theology and beliefs that are the same as hundreds of thousands of churches around the world.

The bible clearly states how the poor/homeless/needy should be treated, and it is not with metal roller doors to keep them away:

https://www.openbible.info/topics/helping_the_homeless

Now, I am not in the least bit religious and all churches could do more, but this group preach about being good, charitable, helping those less fortunate, but when the less fortunate are on their own doorstep, their good, charitable, helping those less fortunate intentions turn into a metal door...  Just saying.