A few months ago we were walking past the duck pond and noticed how dirty and full of algae it had become and I commented at the time on how it had deteriorated over the years. A few days later I was invited to join a new Facebook group that had only recently been set up by local chap Keith Marston called 'The Duck Pond Hereford clean up' and I thought what a great idea, he asked me if I would help him move this idea forward using Hereford Voice as the platform. I joined the group immediately and said that Hereford Voice would help out and publicise this idea as much as possible. I have also contacted Cllr Jim Kenyon and he is also going to do what he can to raise awareness. 

I took this photograph today, the pond is absolutely covered in green algae, a lot of this is because people are feeding these ducks with bread, most of us think this is kind but in reality, bread can makes ducks ill and certainly does not contain the right calories and nutrition to keep ducks warm during the winter months. Rotting bread pollutes the water and encourages bad surface algae which kill the fish and causes diseases in ducks as well making the water smell. 

I also thought long term could we have a food vending machine like the one in the photo below installed and the proceeds from any profits made to go towards the maintenance of the duck pond...

Hereford Duck Pond.jpg

Fantastic idea.Would be even better with a please do not feed the ducks bread sign too.
And I'm pretty sure the pond was cleaned out about 8 years ago.
The algae is more likely to come from the build up of dead leaves that are shed from the trees 

We will promote the idea to put up several educational signs, maybe involve the kids at local schools to come up with design something similar to these;

attachicon.gifDuck Sign.jpg

attachicon.gifDuck Pond Sign 1.jpg

The Council did put up some signs a few years ago asking people not to feed bread to the ducks - they didn't last long - I think they're at the bottom of the pond ...

I hear from a very reliable source this evening that the reason that the duck pond was always kept so clean years ago was that the river water was pumped through it, keeping a nice steady flow and stopping it becoming stagnant as it is now. The pump house is located at the bottom turret next to the Victoria Bridge, I know this because my source's relative used to operate it. Over the years we have gone from the Council doing the maintenance to Amey and now Balfour Beattie and we believe somewhere along the line this pump has been forgotten or had possibly stopped working and has never been maintained.

I took these photographs this evening of the location.

Duck Pond Pump House 1.jpg  Duck Pond Pump House.jpg

I hear from a very reliable source this evening that the reason that the duck pond was always kept so clean years ago was that the river water was pumped through it, keeping a nice steady flow and stopping it becoming stagnant as it is now. The pump house is located at the bottom turret next to the Victoria Bridge, I know this because my source's relative used to operate it. Over the years we have gone from the Council doing the maintenance to Amey and now Balfour Beattie and we believe somewhere along the line this pump has been forgotten or had possibly stopped working and has never been maintained.

I took these photographs this evening of the location.

attachicon.gifDuck Pond Pump House 1.jpg  attachicon.gifDuck Pond Pump House.jpg

Ah, this is interesting, you certainly have done your homework, Colin. It does make complete sense

Sounds like the pump is a good place to start rectifying the situation.

Would it be an idea to start a clean up fund. I would be happy to contribute.

If physical input is required my legs and back are not what they used to be but I would be glad to help out where I can.

Keep up the good work.

On 18/08/2017 at 23:41, twowheelsgood said:

This is a project that the City Council could/should pick up and fund, especially the signs and vending machine.

I think Jim Kenyon has managed to get a local business to sponsor some of the signage. I spoke with Jim yesterday and he had a few concerns over the funding of my idea of a vending machine as we are not sure if the city council will put any money into the pot however, I am sure we could encourage some local businesses to support a vending machine.

The Hereford Times called me yesterday and wanted me to appear in a photograph near the pond, this is all very nice but to be fair, I am not the only person involved in this project and I pointed this out to the editor, explaining that I am more than happy to be photographed alongside the story etc but I think that it is only fair that Keith Marston and Jim Kenyon and anyone else involved is included because there are a few people striving to get the pond cleaned up and restored to its former glory with a maintenance plan in place going forward. We plan on all meeting up at some point next week. 

It was good to meet with Keith Marston, Jim Kenton and Jess from the Hereford Times at the Duck Pond.

We have come up with the initial idea of a cleanup day or clean-up weekend. As many volunteers as possible, this will be a good start if we can all muck in clearing weeds and cutting back brush and removing any rubbish found along the way.  

The canoe club has offered to bring some boats down to help clean off the duckweed.

It will be good if we can also involve the local diving club too.

I have contacted Pets at Home and they have kindly offered to sponsor some new signs and a survey on the pond to establish as much as possible about what is going on below the surface as well as on top.

As soon as we have some dates I will inform you but we are probably looking at a clean-up day or weekend late September or early October.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...