Barrett Development Hampton Dene

greenknight

Now I wish to open a can of worms and I want opinion.

A lot of negotiations went on regarding this site and on balance it looks like a good result.

I however learnt something last week which throws a dirty rag over the whole site.

Herefordshire Council will not be adopting the site.....street lighting,maintenance,play areas,balancing ponds, everything in fact will be managed by a third party.

The cost...a staggering £360 per year fee for all properties including unaffordable homes. No doubt yearly increases will be capped however what action would be taken against those that wont/cant pay.

So unless you can advise differently your council tax on this site will be paying for just a fortnightly bin collection.

Very short sighted by the council and a guaranteed problem development for the future.

Isn't that the same as the new builds by keepmoat at the oval? I'm sure there was a clause in the contracts for those regarding an annual charge for grounds maintenance and upkeep of equipment ie the play areas.

Surely they have an obligation to inform new tenants at point of sale?

I assume you mean 'Bishop Fields' opposite Bishop's School? From Â£342k To £390k. The application that Cllr Kenyon was going to use the Section 106 monies from to get rid of the traffic lights at the bottom of Folly Lane (as discussed with him on this forum)? That all went very quiet so it doesn't look like it's going to happen. What a let down. Where DOES all the Section 106 money go to? All £0.52m of it?

I assume you mean 'Bishop Fields' opposite Bishop's School? From Â£342k To £390k. The application that Cllr Kenyon was going to use the Section 106 monies from to get rid of the traffic lights at the bottom of Folly Lane (as discussed with him on this forum)? That all went very quiet so it doesn't look like it's going to happen. What a let down. Where DOES all the Section 106 money go to? All £0.52m of it?

Yes you are right TWG the bulk of these properties will be over £300K but I think around 30% is affordable so will this supplemental charge be applied to rents via the Housing Association? ....if it is then it isn't going to be affordable. If it isn't then you can see a great deal of animosity building on the development. Looking on a couple of sites within Hereford at this time a small three bedder is going to cost at least £275K. I believe Barrats are informing purchases of the charge however if you wanted to resell later then depending how fast the charges increased might make it a difficult home to sell.

TWG if you do not know where the 106 monies go to then there is not much hope for the rest of us!  My understanding is that the Council in their wisdom say to the Ward Councillor how much of the 106 is available for parish and then the money is applied for and if passed eventually after spending the money and presenting the invoices the 106 is paid over.  Hope that is right but if not please correct me.  It is a very dark area for many!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, well, now we get an inkling of what really is happening about Section 106 monies - they don't get paid!

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/14971695.Developer_said_106_money_will_be_paid_by_end_of_January/

Persimmon have effectively had a six year loan of £326k and public services and the council tax payer have had to suffer a result. Are they paying interest? Will lessons be learnt? Of course not. I suspect this is the tip of a huge iceberg.

I'm pretty sure some of the 106 money from the homes built on the Roman Road was to be used to replace the railway bridge but that's never come to fruition.The Council could of made them pay for roundabouts from Roman Road to Old School lane & College Road but what did they pay for instead.....Traffic lights.
Anyone watch BBC midlands today with Sash Kindred with the mayor?I looked at our mayor in the background with the other old cronies around him and realised why this great City of ours is in the state that it is.
On the other hand we just sit here and watch them do it having our little rants as we do.