More City Centre Residents Can Complain if Plans Approved

Colin James

Proposed plans have been submitted to convert the former Johnson's Dry Cleaners, first, second and third floors from retail space to residential apartments.

Dry Cleaners.jpg

We need to look at the bigger picture, the city centre will face no end of objections for future planning applications from RESIDENTS when businesses what to put up illuminated signs and extend business hours to accommodate functions in restaurants and bars etc, this happened recently when Yates applied to extend their opening hours (they won the court case in the end) and they received objections from the flats next door.

We should keep the city centre as a city centre and protect the businesses now and in the future, either that or a clause should be put in place for all new planning applications to cover new builds/conversions to prevent such objections, in other words, if you rent/buy a property in the city centre don't complain when the local business wants to put up an illuminated sign or extend their opening hours etc

Planning application here

I think it is a good idea to use the otherwise vacant upper floors for flats in the city centre. In this case a retail unit will be kept albeit  with a reduced space. Perhaps useful for a start up business? Already in Eign Gate there are a number of upper floors which are flats

Upper floors yes but this application is for change of use from retail to residential to include the ground floor

Upper floors yes but this application is for change of use from retail to residential to include the ground floor

Do it matter? We have so many empty shops, if anyone want to set up a shop there is plenty to choose from, but some of them have been empty for years and I doubt they will ever get anyone in them.

This only applies to the upper floors Alex, my point is more about 'new residents' in former retail units complaining in the future because of noise, lighting from adjacent businesses or people making a noise walking through town etc etc

I have no real objection about turning these upper floors into residential apartments but I do think there should be a clause in place to protect high town and it's businesses.