M&S under threat

megilleland

Article in the Daily Wail today suggesting that M&S could be on a hit list of closures. To quote the paper: 

(extracts)

Stores which are vulnerable because the town centre is already in serious decline include Blackpool, Bolton, Boston, Hereford, Mansfield, Stoke and Sunderland.

M&S has not yet named the stores set for closure, which means thousands of workers are waiting to know if their store will go.

However, experts at the Local Data Company have compiled a list of areas that it thinks are vulnerable.

This list is not from M&S and it does not mean the stores involved form part of the official closure programme.

M&S said: ‘We are very disappointed that anyone would choose to speculate in this way. This list is not based on any M&S data and we have not published any locations. What we have done is outlined plans to improve our store estate over the next five years which include opening 200 new Food stores and selling Clothing and Home from 60 fewer stores.’ 

Doesn't give much confidence. I suppose when the Council and Balfour Beatty start digging up High Town in front of the store and close more roads into the city - it will be the final nail in their coffin.

Not sure what the Local Data Company stand to make from this report, save to heap worry on those concerned with the sites they identify (remember, this is speculation by a third party), but they're on the money with this comment;

Stores which are vulnerable because the town centre is already in serious decline include Blackpool, Bolton, Boston, Hereford, Mansfield, Stoke and Sunderland.

According to the Daily Mirror in this article

This is the list of stores that are vulnerable to close based on the local data company report

Aberdeen

Ayr

Banbury

Barrow-in-Furness

Basildon

Birmingham

Blackburn

Blackpool

Bolton

Boston

Bournemouth

Brentwood

Bridlington

Brierley Hill

Bristol

Buxton

Carlisle

Chichester

Coventry

Darlington

Dundee

Durham

Fareham

Hereford

Hull

Kettering

King’s Lynn

Leamington Spa

Leeds

Leicester

Liverpool

Macclesfield

Maidstone

Manchester

Mansfield

Milton Keynes

Newcastle Upon Tyne

Northwich

Nottingham

Peterborough

Preston

Rochdale

Sheffield

Southampton

St Albans

Stockton-on-Tees

Stoke

Swansea

Swindon

Sunderland

Tunbridge Wells

Warrington

But I agree with two twowheelsgood all this report will do is cause unnecessary worry and anxiety to those people who work there and their families. 

It is my understanding that the store is profitable and one of the best performers in the Midlands area however it is down to the people of Herefordshire to demonstrate its support for this iconic brand. The store has a family within it and there are certain customers who engage with it as part of their daily life routine.....

Whilst I agree with greenknight's sentiment I cannot help but feel that in many ways our high streets across the nation are facing a period of upheaval. Little things we do are not going to effect the groundswell change that is gathering pace. I don't claim to have the answers, I'm not happy about it, and I'm certainly not knocking M&S, just feel that we're all helpless passengers.