City centre High Town.

DILLIGAF

Was out on the town last night. First in a while. The new Hogwarts pub is well presented and maintained. A group of lads were getting a little over excited and had their ear bent by security, allowing them to continue their enjoyment but toned down. Well tackled. I digress......

Walking from one establishment to the next I encountered a 'bare' High Town - and what an eyesore! The place was covered in litter from the day traders, it consisted of pop bottles coffee cups wrappers of sorts fast food tubs etc etc. Does it not get cleaned after hours? It really was a shocking sight. Disgusting. Why do I pay my council tax again?

Was out on the town last night. First in a while. The new Hogwarts pub is well presented and maintained. A group of lads were getting a little over excited and had their ear bent by security, allowing them to continue their enjoyment but toned down. Well tackled. I digress......

Walking from one establishment to the next I encountered a 'bare' High Town - and what an eyesore! The place was covered in litter from the day traders, it consisted of pop bottles coffee cups wrappers of sorts fast food tubs etc etc. Does it not get cleaned after hours? It really was a shocking sight. Disgusting. Why do I pay my council tax again?

Yes High Town is becoming a dump, I see rubbish that has been there for months. 

I feel very sad at the way High Town is being neglected as this is a great public space, and all it needs is a bit of TLC such as basic cleaning and rubbish collection at the end of the day. 

Yes, TLC every day to stay on top of things. That is the problem. Balfour Beatty sacked the local guy, who had cleaned the city for years and knew all the issues, as soon as they took over. I don't think its been cleaned properly since then. It's filthy. It's not until you go elsewhere and then come back that you realise just how filthy. Less cleaning = more profit.

Less cleaning might be more profit for BB but not for many of our City Centre businesses, especially some of our independents. If High Town is not maintained visitors will not visit our City. Already it seems to me we have fewer people in town with no library and museum. What effect the on street car parking charges will have will be interesting but I fear it will be bad news again for Hereford.

Oh but isn't the new Old Market part nice and clean . Along with extortionate rates, soon to be charging for parking in the streets they really do know how to drive the nails in the coffin of a dying town . 

The Old Market is a private complex.

Hereford City centre has become very unkept and is in need of a good clean up.

The Old Market is a private complex.

Hereford City centre has become very unkept and is in need of a good clean up.

I realise that, the council are taking their eye off the ball again . With the plans to charge for street parking and the like they are clueless.

I couldn't agree more, having a wander through town on Sunday lunchtime...

Along Commercial Street, the ex-Chadds doorways had a, what I would like to describe as "wonderful", but alas I cannot, it was a vile aroma of urine atop rubbish, atop grime...  Aaah, my dogs liked the smell.  They were the only ones though!  <heave!>

Really sad to see it like it to be honest, i tend to avoid the city centre these days if I can, only going in to meet friends for Coffee and do a bit of food shopping. anything else I get online these days.

Yeah......We know  :Hmm: .

It's a good thing that so many are not as narrow minded as you and go out and support our City shops and businesses.

Yeah......We know  :Hmm: .

It's a good thing that so many are not as narrow minded as you and go out and support our City shops and businesses.

But there is very little to support, most of the shops in town are the same thing, clothes, clothes and more clothes, the Old Market is full of food places, you go across the road from there and there is another food place.

I try to support small local shops, I use Moores, I go into butchers and buy stuff, I also tend to stay away from the larger coffee chains and use The coffee cart in High Town, the only large coffee chain I use now and again is Nero, but it is only now and again.

so do not say I do not support local shops because I do, just not most of the large ones.