CITY LINK ROAD 800 HOMES

lpusseycat

Indeed - from the ESG Herefordshire Ltd - 2008 adopted Master Plan;

"No less than 1,000 housing units will be provided within the Urban Village. It is envisaged that within the Urban Village circa 90 units will be delivered to the market annually from 2010."

So, 6 x 90 = 540 should have been delivered. Actual delivered = 0.

Unfortunately the whole ESG/Hereford Futures debacle has now blighted the City Centre for the best part of 10 years, blocking all development that didn't accord with this grand plan, yet singly failing to deliver itself, save for handing huge amounts of our money to private developers. Now we see the Council going off on yet another tangent with the 'Hereford Emerging Vision' - here we go again ...

Ohhh yes, this came to light as part of the High Town Public Realm Consultation. I am reliably informed it was put together by a senior officer on his kitchen table, using his children's felt tips, the night before a deadline. Sorted - consultation be damned.

Although it references hereford2020.com, it doesn’t figure on that website. See the extended discussion in Hereford Civic Society's winter2015/16 magazine (available online) at www.herefordcivicsociety.org.uk

post-858-0-72216300-1465043344_thumb.jpg

Oh. I see what you mean. Somebody has been busy with the crayons.

So let's see.

We have The Riverside Quarter.... containing the river.

Then The Sports and Culture Quarter, containing the football ground and The Courtyard. (Minus council funding.)

Also The Independent Cultural Quarter. Let's have a think... Church Street, the closed library and museum, and The Cathedral???

And  The University and Business Quarter. Hmmm.

I note that the transport hub still makes it onto the plan.

Pray tell, what cycle scheme is to be implemented along St Owen's Street? I hope it's a more thought out than some of the current offerings.

Have just read the HCS discussion - thanks for that link, TWG. Makes for an interesting read, doesn't it?

I was relieved that they couldn't make head nor tail of the dreadful 'Quartering ' exercise either....!

Pointless? Or a cynical way of getting the word 'culture' in at every opportunity... in an attempt to see our bid to become City of Culture a reality?

Looking at the plan I thought the University was to be some super engineering University with students working in industry a lot of the time gaining practical skills and knowledge. Why then is it at the bottom of Aylestone Hill? I thought the University said this week that it needed the Southern Link Rd or it wouldnt be coming to Hereford. That made me think this was because students would be learning and working in new High Tech industries that the Rotherwas Enterprise Zone was supposed to be attracting. I know Council plans often lack logic, but seriously? 

Pray tell, what cycle scheme is to be implemented along St Owen's Street? I hope it's a more thought out than some of the current offerings.

Another consultation coming any day now - the previous Amey scheme disappeared into the shredder along with a million other documents we had paid for. For once, not a bad thing, as it was a terrible, and dangerous, scheme with vociferous disapproval from cycling and local groups, to little avail. So, we have to pay again for the whole process, from the measured survey of the street onwards. The inside word is that this scheme is equally awful. How can be it so hard to design 200m of contraflow cycling provision? Don't give it to a road engineer would be a good start - there is a huge wealth of volunteer and professional skills available locally - utilise them for goodness sake! 

Looking at the plan I thought the University was to be some super engineering University with students working in industry a lot of the time gaining practical skills and knowledge. Why then is it at the bottom of Aylestone Hill? I thought the University said this week that it needed the Southern Link Rd or it wouldnt be coming to Hereford. That made me think this was because students would be learning and working in new High Tech industries that the Rotherwas Enterprise Zone was supposed to be attracting. I know Council plans often lack logic, but seriously? 

It's Hereford - it's hard to know what is happening, but you can be sure it's not happening very quickly.

Back in 2015 the HT reported "NMITE (New Model in Technology & Engineering) should be seeing the first 300 students on its Hereford city centre campus by September 2017".

Currently the NMITE website says "We’re Britain’s first wholly new, purpose built university in 40 years

Our partners include the world leading  University of Warwick and Olin College of Engineering (USA)

We are located in the City of Hereford and will start building our campus in early 2017

We will be welcoming our first cohort of students in 2019 and expect to grow to 5,000 students over a decade"

I suspect the reality is that they're up against the shifting sands of Herefordshire Council … and the fact that they need start-up investment capital requirement of £47 million to be funded from corporate and philanthropic (£18.25M), HMG and EU (£18.25M), and debt (£10.5M). They currently appear to be operating out of a private address in the City.

• 3 months later...