Best Site For Tourist Information Centre

Colin James

I have been reading this article in the HT and Mayor Charles Nicholls is correct, the city could benefit from a Tourist Information Centre and as you can see he has suggested a good location with this empty shop in Widemarsh St.

I thought we had once had one in King St but the funding was stopped sometime ago and it closed?

charles nicholls.jpg

However, I believe there is a better alternative and it is smack opposite our Cathedral.

King St.jpg

Hi

I also saw that article Colin, I was a bit concerned to see the Mayor pointed at an empty shop that if I am correct until recently either he or another city councillor ran a shop from it !

Of course my suspicion may be incorrect, but just saying......

• 5 months later...

I worked at the old Tourist office for 16 years before it was taken over by Visit Herefordshire.  Out of all the tourist offices in the county, the Hereford office was the only one that wasn't making a loss.  We managed this by taking commission on all our sales from local crafts to National Express tickets. It doesn't necessarily have to be a drain on the local council, there are ways of making it pay for itself. As for the location, I think the Broad St/King St area is too quiet now, it would be much better in the High Town area.  I also think that a Tourist Office should be as much for locals as it is for visitors, as locals can be tourists in their own area. I hope this plan for a Tourist Info comes off, Hereford should have one and despite the internet, people still like to ask a real person for information. The internet can tell you where all the places to fish are, but it can't tell you that there happens to be a nice pub nearby that does a delicious Sunday lunch.

I worked at the old Tourist office for 16 years before it was taken over by Visit Herefordshire.  Out of all the tourist offices in the county, the Hereford office was the only one that wasn't making a loss.  We managed this by taking commission on all our sales from local crafts to National Express tickets. It doesn't necessarily have to be a drain on the local council, there are ways of making it pay for itself. As for the location, I think the Broad St/King St area is too quiet now, it would be much better in the High Town area.  I also think that a Tourist Office should be as much for locals as it is for visitors, as locals can be tourists in their own area. I hope this plan for a Tourist Info comes off, Hereford should have one and despite the internet, people still like to ask a real person for information. The internet can tell you where all the places to fish are, but it can't tell you that there happens to be a nice pub nearby that does a delicious Sunday lunch.

I tend to agree, nothing better than speaking to a real person with local knowledge. Not sure if this particular building is the best option but an office somewhere central would be good.

I think the building in Broad street is an ideal place for it to be,Hereford Cathedral could also promote their tours of the city there like before. At the moment the only place you can get information is the foyer of the Town Hall from the custodians, but as that is now closing, together with the coroners office, birth death marriage office and the Mayor Palour are being close (so I was advised)by the custodians in favour of signposting service in the near future.

I understood the City Council were now investigating leasing the empty shop by the Old House (yeah, which one) - the charity shop. If the District Council cared a jot about Tourism they'd invest money in both our infrastructure and one massive clean up, not some expensive and pointless re-badging exercise at the Counties borders.