Shame of EU wasn't it?

Steve Major

Paris attacks: Police seek 'dangerous' Abdeslam Salah

_86698635_86698634.jpg

French police have issued a photograph of a man wanted in connection with Friday's deadly attacks in Paris.

The man, named as Belgian-born Abdeslam Salah, 26, is described as dangerous.

Seven attackers, including two who lived in Belgium, died during assaults on a series of targets, officials said.

French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said the attacks had been prepared "by a group of individuals based in Belgium" who had "benefited from accomplices in France."

BBC

Passport linked to terrorist complicates Syrian refugee crisis

Paris (CNN)The Syrian refugee crisis just got worse, due to the Paris attacks.

Now more than ever, since the Syrian war began 4½ years ago, the crisis can be summed up as damned if you do, damned if you don't.

What made it worse? Sunday's revelation that at least one of the Paris terrorists who killed more than 120 people on Friday entered Europe as just another face in the crowd -- embedded in the current wave of Syrian war refugees. The development appears likely to fire up the security debate over what to do with them.

More than 4 million refugees have come to Europe since Syrian government forces and rebels started fighting, opening up safe havens for ISIS and pro-ISIS forces.

The immigrant wave into Europe has been reaching new highs and it shows no sign of tapering off.

One of the men who attacked Paris held an emergency passport or similar document, according to an unnamed French senator who was briefed by the French Ministry of the Interior. The senator told CNN the bomber falsely declared himself to be a Syrian named Ahmad al Muhammad, born on September 10, 1990, and was allowed to enter Greece on October 3. From there he moved to Macedonia, then Serbia and Croatia, where he registered in the Opatovac refugee camp, the lawmaker said. Eventually, he made his way to Paris, where he was one of three men who blew themselves up at the Stade de France.

Fingerprints on the passport matched those of the Stade de France bomber, the French senator told CNN.

The fingerprint was not in the French database, the senator said, and therefore officials believe the man was among a group of refugees and migrants.

The two others who detonated themselves at the stadium carried false Turkish passports, the French senator said.

"This is what we had feared," a senior French official told the Wall Street Journal.

European officials told CNN that they believe a new professional squad of terrorists is inserting itself into some of these migrant voyages.

Pope Francis had already thought about this possibility back in September. He told a Portugese radio station, "It's true, nowadays, territorial security conditions are not the same as they were in other periods (of mass migration). ... The truth is that just 400 kilometres (250 miles) from Sicily there is an incredibly cruel terrorist group. So there is a danger of infiltration, this is true," The Telegraph reported.

Shelter the homeless, or protect the host country?

This development will likely intensify a bitter argument. One side believes it's important to provide shelter to thousands of helpless people who may die if they remain in Syria.

The other side believes letting in Syrian war refugees will put host countries at greater risk for terrorist attacks.

Vetting every incoming refugee would require huge resources. It likely would slow down a widening river of refugees that has already posed logistical problems in many nations. Just look how slowly the European Union is moving on its promise to relocate refugees: As of a few days ago, the EU had only relocated 147 of 160,000.

See U.N. data about the refugee crisis

But the other end of the spectrum, closing borders to Syrian war refugees could force many Syrians to remain at home -- exposing them to deadly fighting between anti-government rebels and government forces. Many feel they must leave the region to save their lives.

CNN

I believe we should only let refugees in after intensive vetting. Even then you don't know for sure that they've not been radicalised.

David Cameron stated the UK will only take refugees from legitimate camps and I agree.

And those people will now be vetted even further. 20,000 over 5 years. But we now appear to have radicalised Belgium born people involved in attacks. They can come here under EU free movement Treaties. We need to leave the EU and take control of our Country again. ALL aspects of it. Genie is out of the bottle with the swathes of people here already but something different has to happen. 

It is about time that ALL of our police officers were armed like their colleagues in Europe. I still cannot comprehend that many of our officers work alone and not in pairs like they do in other European countries.

https://youtu.be/Ee_e2zwW9Yc

I read earlier that France has 278,000 armed Police. We have 6000. We have very similar population numbers. Not rocket science to see that we would be severely stretched if something happened in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

I read earlier that France has 278,000 armed Police. We have 6000. We have very similar population numbers. Not rocket science to see that we would be severely stretched if something happened in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Arming our officers is long overdue Roger and this needs to put through as a matter of urgency in my opinion. Watch the video from the security expert.

It is about time that ALL of our police officers were armed like their colleagues in Europe. I still cannot comprehend that many of our officers work alone and not in pairs like they do in other European countries.

https://youtu.be/Ee_e2zwW9Yc

I agree and I am surprised that we have not been hit yet because we would be a soft target. 

Paris attacks: 'France will destroy IS' - Hollande

France is committed to "destroying" the so-called Islamic State group after Friday's deadly attacks, President Francois Hollande has said.

He said he would table a bill to extend the state of emergency declared after the attacks for three months and would suggest changes to the constitution.

France's military campaign against IS in Iraq and Syria will also intensify.

IS says it carried out the attacks on bars, restaurants, a concert hall and a stadium in which 129 people died.

Speaking during a joint session of both houses of parliament, Mr Hollande said the constitution needed to be amended as "we need an appropriate tool we can use without having to resort to the state of emergency".

Other measures he said would be pursued included:

• 5,000 extra police posts in the next two years and no new cuts in the defence budget
  •  
  • Making it easier to strip dual nationals of their French citizenship if they are convicted of a terrorist offence, as long as this did not render them stateless
  •  
  • Speeding up the deportation of foreigners who pose "a particularly grave threat to the security of the nation"
  •  
  • Pushing for greater European action against arms trafficking and greater penalties for it in France

BBC

5000 more armed Police for France. We have got yet more Police cuts in the pipeline as the Home Office budget is not protected. 

I think there is a case for more money to be made available .  This is not normal circumstances and I for one would feel quite comfortable seeing armed police and army patrolling the streets. 

Does anybody know where ISIS get their funding from.

My understanding is that they acquired considerable amount of wealth prior to the start of their campaign from individuals residing in North Africa,Middle East,Indonesia, Russian Caucuses.These are very wealthy individuals with an axe to grind. Now it's oil from fields seized in occupied territory. Let's not forget slavery and quite possibly refugees. It's also quite possible that western backed funding for opposition groups have fallen into wrong hands.

According to correspondent reporting from Westminster at lunchtime there has been 7 foiled attempts in UK in the last year, one 2 weeks ago.It was also reported that a further 1,900 new recruits for MI5, MI6 and Intelligence agencies because of what happened in France. All police in London are armed around House of Commons for some time.

I think there is a case for more money to be made available .  This is not normal circumstances and I for one would feel quite comfortable seeing armed police and army patrolling the streets. 

Does anybody know where ISIS get their funding from.  

America and a lot more....

President Vladimir Putin says he’s shared Russian intelligence data on Islamic State financing with his G20 colleagues: the terrorists appear to be financed from 40 countries, including some G20 member states.

TrendsIslamic State, Russian anti-terror op in SyriaDuring the summit, “I provided examples based on our data on the financing of different Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) units by private individuals. This money, as we have established, comes from 40 countries and, there are some of the G20 members among them,†Putin told the journalists.

Putin also spoke of the urgent need to curb the illegal oil trade by IS.

"I’ve shown our colleagues photos taken from space and from aircraft which clearly demonstrate the scale of the illegal trade in oil and petroleum products," he said.

“The motorcade of refueling vehicles stretched for dozens of kilometers, so that from a height of 4,000 to 5,000 meters they stretch beyond the horizon," Putin added, comparing the convoy to gas and oil pipeline systems.

Read more at http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3ec_1447694582#yctDQ85i76HKxKbO.99

At some point Assad will be shown the door. Whether that is vapourisation in a drone strike or by some other means. The West has been pretty restrained with these air strikes to date. 

Cameron's priority should be our National Security within our borders. A few radicals already inside the border unfortunately. They should be rounded up. France has vowed today to flatten ISIS and I hope everyone is behind that. Money no object I would hope. 

In my opinion I don't think we should go putting boots down on the ground in Iraq/Syria as that's exactly what Isis would want us to do or extending air strikes into Syria as there's already plenty of other countries doing that already.

I know there not talking about boots on the ground yet but give it time & they will?!

Interesting blog

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/09/muhammad-isis-iraqs-full-story.html

Paris attacks: lax EU watchlist lets jihadists travel freely from Syria to Europe As few as one in a hundred European passport holders are checked against anti-terror watchlist on entry to Schengen zone - and no one knows if any refugees are checked

refugees-german_3501363b.jpg

Home-grown jihadists are able to travel freely from Syria to Europe because as few as one in 100 are checked against the EU’s anti-terrorism watchlist, the Telegraph has learnt.

Wanted terrorists carrying European passports can be waved through border checks with nothing more than a cursory visual inspection of their travel documents, sources have said.

And EU officials say they have no idea if any of the thousands of refugees currently making their way into Europe have been scanned against the watchlist.

Telegraph

The Schengen area is only as strong as it's weakest link. It's just a shambles. 

The Prime Minister was asked about taking back control of our borders at the PMQ's I've just been watching. He kind of brushed it aside saying we are not in the Schengen area and that we have control of our borders already. He backed this up by saying he had refused entry to 6000 EU travellers in the last 5 years. Well that amounts to about 3 a day which is simply not good enough. And they were probably on 'watch lists'. Millions are travelling in and out of the UK all the time. I don't want people getting a sniff of an entry if they have certain types of convictions in their baggage. 

Dutch consider mini-Schengen zone to cut refugee influx

netherlands-border-e1427383586922.jpg

The cabinet is looking at the option of developing a smaller open border area made up of the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Austria, the Telegraaf says on Wednesday.

This ‘mini-Schengen’ area would work together and control its external borders more carefully, the paper says. The aim is to impose better checks on asylum seekers on arrival.

The current Schengen zone for passport-free travel comprises 22 EU member states and four non-members.

Halbe Zijlstra, leader of the VVD parliamentary party, said the plan would win his party’s support. ‘The influx is so large that you need to take unorthodox measures,’ he told the paper.

Earlier this month, junior justice minister Klaas Dijkhoff said after talks with other EU officials that the influx of refugees showed the current Schengen system no longer works.

German chancellor Angela Merkel said in the summer that she would raise the treaty’s future if other countries did not take in more refugees. ‘If we cannot make a fair allocation system, then we have to talk about the future of Schengen,’ she said.

dutchnews.nl

An Emergency Meeting will be held in Brussels on Friday to discuss re-drawing the border. 

Some of the Paris attackers exploited Europe's refugee crisis to "slip in" to France unnoticed, the country's prime minister has said.

Manuel Valls said the passport-free Schengen zone is at risk if Europe fails to "take responsibility" over border controls.

The warning comes as EU ministers meet in Brussels today where they are expected to strengthen checks on travellers at the borders of the 26-nation bloc.