Shame of EU wasn't it?

Steve Major

I see on the news tonight that the Syria conference has raised a massive £8bn and the UK has pledge a further £1.2bn, where is this UK money coming from? We have reduced our police force, we pay our doctors and nurses poorly, we don't really look after our elderly folk and there are cut backs to the emergency services and to our armed forces, yet we manage to find a FURTHER £1.2bn? 

Wealthiest regions??? 

UK National Debt Surpassed £1 Trillion

Mainstream media headlines today are focused on Britain's record national debt, which just surpassed £1 trillion, a figure that can only exponentially increase unless the entire mechanism of Government finance is overhauled. The truth however is much worse, factoring in all liabilities including state and public sector pensions, the real national debt is closer to £4.8 trillion, some £78,000 for every person in the UK.

UK debt is 1.6 trillion and grows at 5,100 a second...France over 2 trillion,Germany 2.1 trillion,Italy 2.2 trillion

Around the world  Australia nearly 3 trillion.Usa 11 trillion 

America's has just hit 19 trillion

I see on the news tonight that the Syria conference has raised a massive £8bn and the UK has pledge a further £1.2bn, where is this UK money coming from? 

I watched the BBC last night ~ who were exposing Kids Company who got a £3M Govt. handout just before crumbling into dust ... The Charity was depicted as being a bit dodgy ... 

_84021355_027990995.jpg

Cameron has just pledged 400 times that much to divert into the Syria situation .... I'm not sure all of that cash will reach the intended recipients! So everything is 'relative' I would think! 

I see on the news tonight that the Syria conference has raised a massive £8bn and the UK has pledge a further £1.2bn, where is this UK money coming from? We have reduced our police force, we pay our doctors and nurses poorly, we don't really look after our elderly folk and there are cut backs to the emergency services and to our armed forces, yet we manage to find a FURTHER £1.2bn? 

The reason for lack of funding to local authorities, doctors and nurses, care for the elderly, etc. is not because we can't afford it. The cuts to services are ideologically driven, because fundamentally the Tories don't want the state to be providing people with services, they want you to go out and pay for it yourself. They can find the money to fund wars  and bombing FFS; if they can do that then they need to fund the resultant refugee crisis..

The reason for lack of funding to local authorities, doctors and nurses, care for the elderly, etc. is not because we can't afford it. The cuts to services are ideologically driven, because fundamentally the Tories don't want the state to be providing people with services, they want you to go out and pay for it yourself. They can find the money to fund wars  and bombing FFS; if they can do that then they need to fund the resultant refugee crisis..

What utter tripe! I disagree, we do not have the money, hence the debt. I do not buy into your anti Tory blurb either.

Succinctly put, Osmosis. This is exactly what the Tories want.

Interesting to note that nobody has picked up on The Guardian news story, that a German teen age girl has now admitted that she lied about being kidnapped and raped by migrants.

I guess this wouldn't fit the agenda of the majority view on this thread.....

Interesting to note that nobody has picked up on The Guardian news story, that a German teen age girl has now admitted that she lied about being kidnapped and raped by migrants.

You two must be joined at the hip!  :Hmm:

I am sure all of the other woman from Cologne will come clean too eh... So blinkered

Rebecca has made a valid point. I think we should contribute in helping genuine refugees and this substantial offer of money will go a long way together with the other donors to help I am sure but I am not sure how much more we can really do. Helping these people within their own region is a big positive.

Interesting point, Rebecca, about 'the debt left by the labour government'.

I quote 'A lie gets halfway round the world, before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.'

Try reading 'Finally Exposed! The Deficit Myth' by blogger Ramesh Patel..... it's extremely enlightening!

You are right Dippy. The faux outrage on here about women being molested was a transparent attempt to claim that refugee=rapist. Not one person on here expressed any outrage over the reported rape in Belmont last year.

Help a lot of these people we can but there has to be some kind of limit in place. Where they managed to find £1.2 billion is beyond me especially with the huge debt left by the previous Labour Gov, I think we need to at some point start looking at our own housekeeping.

How much debt was left by the Labour government Rebecca, and what do you think they spent the money on?

It's a funny old world you got people on here bemoaning refugees coming to old blighty but then when the government decided to give money to help them over there so that they don't come over here you the same lot moan about that too where is your empathy?…or are you lacking some much in that that you have no compassion at all???…frankly I don't care where they get the money as long as they help those poor people…besides we owe trillions so what does another billion matter!!!

Keeping Up With The Khans is a good view on C4 just now ... Opening sequence showed some fella who's been here 10 years who was asked to pin on a map where the UK was .... He had two goes. First time he pinned somewhere in the USA. Second go he chose somewhere near Croatia. He has lived in Sheffield for 10 years! 

We have common ground politically, just as you do with others on here. Are you all joined at the hip? You certainly act like a pack.

A group of people who do not necessarily always agree with your views and branded as a pack now? How strange people react when others disagree with them.

A group of people who do not necessarily always agree with your views and branded as a pack now? How strange people react when others disagree with them.

I don't come on here because I think everyone agrees with me, quite the opposite. What I object to is being told I'm talking tripe, by people who never back up their own arguments with any facts, and don't know the difference between debt and deficit. But ignorance is no barrier to an opinion, as this forum repeatedly demonstrates. I'm sure you must be aware that there is a group on here who swarm over any left-of-centre comment with seriously vicious diatribes. I haven't been contributing on here for very long, but long enough to find out what the general consensus is. Please do let me know, if this is a forum for right wingers only, or if we are all free to express our views? This forum is held in contempt by many people in Hereford, for the narrow and ignorant views that are routinely expressed on here.

Gordon Brown switched tactics in 2000 and committed himself to a massive, audacious project: the Europeanisation of the British economy. He set out to shift our political centre of gravity, from being the ‘third way’ between the EU and the US and becoming an EU-style country with a massive government and masses of people dependant on that government. This was the Brown project. So the years 2000-10 saw the size of the state soar from 37pc to 50pc – a rise of 13 points. This is a faster rise than any other country, over any other postwar decade. And half of the damage was done by 2007, before the crash.

At the start of that decade, Britain’s spending was closer to that of the USA, but Brown then started his massive increase. He started to force-feed the state like a foie gras goose, but couldn’t squeeze enough tax from the country. So his splurge was financed by debt. Brown stood out from every other global finance minister in borrowing like crazy, during the boom. So UK finances were in a precarious state when the crash struck.

By the time Lehman Bros collapsed, Brown had already increased Britain’s national debt by 43 per cent to fund his expansion of the state. He was already running up massive deficits: there was no deficit in 2000/01 but Brown (and his lieutenants Balls and Miliband) were running up a bizarre boom-time deficit of 3pc of GDP by 2005/6, the maximum allowed under EU rules. Brown’s ruinous profligacy defied every rule in the book of financial management. Even Keynesians argue that you need to run a surplus (i.e., reduce debt) in the good times. Brown had a different motto: more debt in the boom, more debt in the bust. And if it goes wrong: well, that’s my successors’ problem.

Hence the letter left by Ed Balls simply saying 'Dear Chief Secretary, I'm afraid there is no money. Kind regards – and good luck! Liam.'

Well done Rebecca! You can cut and paste from the Spectator! Try reading a bit more widely.

I don't come on here because I think everyone agrees with me, quite the opposite. What I object to is being told I'm talking tripe, by people who never back up their own arguments with any facts, and don't know the difference between debt and deficit. But ignorance is no barrier to an opinion, as this forum repeatedly demonstrates. I'm sure you must be aware that there is a group on here who swarm over any left-of-centre comment with seriously vicious diatribes. I haven't been contributing on here for very long, but long enough to find out what the general consensus is. Please do let me know, if this is a forum for right wingers only, or if we are all free to express our views? This forum is held in contempt by many people in Hereford, for the narrow and ignorant views that are routinely expressed on here.

What qualifies you to judge how others comment? it has nothing to do with the forum that is merely the vehicle provided for members to share their own views and opinions. I respect everybody's own personal views and beliefs whether i happen to agree with them or not but you clearly do get rattled don't you when most members disagree with you? well sorry, but many people share centre-right wing views too, maybe there just happens to be a bigger majority commenting here but it is not much different on FB and Twitter and other social media recently either from my experience. 

Post your credentials as to how you can judge the locals who you obviously despise ..... I'm not a fan of these pseudonyms that pass judgement as though their opinion is more valid because they can work a computer/phone. 

I get on fine with 'the locals', Roger with-no-surname; most of them are Tories but they're not the rabid xenophobes I've encountered on here, and I certainly don't judge them. This forum hosts a handful of regular posters, some of whom hold extreme right-wing views, which I don't think reflect those of the county generally, otherwise we'd have Nigel Ely as our MP, or worse. What 'credentials' do I need exactly in order to post on here? And who do you think you are to demand them? Have you got the right credentials Roger? Let me guess: white, male, Hereford born-and-bred, and certainly not with a surname like Khan.

I get on fine with 'the locals', Roger with-no-surname; most of them are Tories but they're not the rabid xenophobes I've encountered on here, and I certainly don't judge them. This forum hosts a handful of regular posters, some of whom hold extreme right-wing views, which I don't think reflect those of the county generally, otherwise we'd have Nigel Ely as our MP, or worse. What 'credentials' do I need exactly in order to post on here? And who do you think you are to demand them? Have you got the right credentials Roger? Let me guess: white, male, Hereford born-and-bred, and certainly not with a surname like Khan.

You are evasive and a REMOVED In my opinion. 

There you go ....mercury rising and its this passionate argument from the vocal ends of reason , where over reaction draws blood and the many suffer as a result.. not unlike what's happening in Syria where the majority of the people have no axe to grind,they just want life. We see but can we really interpret when for the majority of us a big deal occurs when our bins spill over.

Well done Rebecca! You can cut and paste from the Spectator! Try reading a bit more widely.

Appears Osmosis doesn't like us pasting what interests us and maybe others. Strange because through the process of osmosis you can learn and understand things gradually without much effort.

or as Richard E. Byrd said:
 "What people think about you is not supposed to matter much, so long as you yourself know where the truth lies; but I have found out, as have others who move in and out of newspaper headlines, that on occasion it can matter a good deal. For once you enter the world of headlines you learn there is not one truth but two: the one which you know from the facts; and the one which the public, or at any rate a highly imaginative part of the public, acquires by osmosis".

I enjoyed pasting this!