Hereford Link Road

I've been using it for the last two weeks. A short stretch from the Royal Mail site entrance and coming out at Jewson's yard gates. It gets you away from Morrison's car park and the footpath link running around the side of the store. Much better than weaving in and out of moving cars and shoppers.

I've been using it for the last two weeks. A short stretch from the Royal Mail site entrance and coming out at Jewson's yard gates. It gets you away from Morrison's car park and the footpath link running around the side of the store. Much better than weaving in and out of moving cars and shoppers.

What? Is that some small item about the link road that is positive  :Winky: 

• 4 months later...

When I was in Norway some 20 years ago

Our Host drove us through a tunnel which went to the top of a view point . The Norwegians had cut a tunnel into the rock , two lane and high enough for a double decker - all the rocks which they tomoved were used to extend their new airport runway . Very efficient .

There has been juggling of the traffic light phasing and the removal of filter lanes at the busy junction at the bottom of Aylestone Hill. The green light out of Brook Retail Park now lasts for about 4 seconds. Desperate tactics. 

There has been juggling of the traffic light phasing and the removal of filter lanes at the busy junction at the bottom of Aylestone Hill. The green light out of Brook Retail Park now lasts for about 4 seconds. Desperate tactics. 

They are using the latest tech in traffic light management which will not work properly until the ground sensors are installed after the road is resurfaced

Alas, for us who fund and fuel 'their' madness, this disclosure thus far falls short of the true cost to the public. The CPO's and their associated costs have been subject to a little perfectly legal friendly creative accounting and so matters loosely associated with the CPO acquisition, such as relocation costs to elsewhere, legal costs, Consultancy, the service of debt,the Rockfield Road land, it's car park and a huge raft of other incidental things have been completely overlooked to make the reading of 34 million quid much easier to read than the actual real cost that makes this small section of road the most expensive road ever built upon mainland Britain.

In the fullness of time you'll find that the true overspend is considerably higher than that which you are currently being asked to accept. But by then, just like Gagging Payments, Mr Robinson, badly procured IT programmes, Bullying of a Council Whistleblower, the burial of the Rotherwas Ribbon, the last minute payments by the Council to Stanhope, the shredding of all matters relating to Hereford Futures,the comings and goings from within Plough Lane and the payments to Amey and Balfour Beattie, you'll no longer be that interested in discovering the truth behind where the money has gone and who benefitted from it.

I accept that, in this day and age, the telling of bureaucratic porkies is now the norm. Who can watch smarmy Monsieur Barnier each night on TV and not see his nose growing exponentially, Pinocchio-like, with every falsehood he peddles.

Several years back (before Brockington had been smashed by the wreckers' ball and the council's development company was still quaintly dubbed ESG), I sat through a planning meeting which discussed the pros and cons of acquiring the family-owned DIY Rockfield warehouse. Pre-Wilco, this was the best retail shed in the county for bargains. I happened to be sitting in the public gallery directly behind Rockfield's owner, who was crestfallen at witnessing the sudden and unwarrented demise of his family business. OK he laughed all the way to the bank in the end; but it was the utterly spurious claim by council officers that the building stood in a direct line of their Blessed Link Road that I find still find so disgusting.

• 2 weeks later...

The Plough Lane suits are remaining remarkably tight-lipped about when precisely their showpiece Link Road is to be officially opened. As with the long-awaited (and much-delayed) disabled lifts at Hereford Station, several dates in the Supreme Leader's diary have had to be scratched out. Betting is now: "Not this side of Christmas."

Of course, logically, the ribbon-cutting ceremony should be performed by the new Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Roads. But at this rate of progress he'll probably be Prime Minister by the time the road is finished.

I was told by Balfour Beatty early 2018 is likely opening.

What hacks me off is the two lanes merging into one at the bottom of  Commercial Rd.

Do I be a considerate driver and queue patiently in the left hand lane, or zoom down to the lights in the right hand lane and force myself into the single straight ahead lane, judging the speed and attitude of those in the correct lane, with an increasing level of butt-clenching as i play real-world dodgems......

When I asked Balfour Beatty whether there was to be any advance warning signs to drivers advising them of the impending doom ahead, I was told that they "expected the reduced traffic flow through there would alleviate the problem when the new system was in place".

Hmmmmmm

I was told by Balfour Beatty early 2018 is likely opening.

What hacks me off is the two lanes merging into one at the bottom of  Commercial Rd.

Do I be a considerate driver and queue patiently in the left hand lane, or zoom down to the lights in the right hand lane and force myself into the single straight ahead lane, judging the speed and attitude of those in the correct lane, with an increasing level of butt-clenching as i play real-world dodgems......

When I asked Balfour Beatty whether there was to be any advance warning signs to drivers advising them of the impending doom ahead, I was told that they "expected the reduced traffic flow through there would alleviate the problem when the new system was in place".

Hmmmmmm

Can only agree with you , as one approaches the TLs in lane 3 there is a white painted arrow at least 3m long pointing straight ahead , then a few metres towards the TL the white painted arrow directs traffic to the right so it's going to catch out a number of motorists especially visitors to the City .

Back in June, Aylestone Voice drew attention to the fact  that a footpath / cycleway had been created, linking Canal Street with Station Approach.

Everything is a lot tidier down that end now: bollards, kerbing, grass, galv fencing. But not a single directional sign! I sometimes wonder if there is a special unit at Plough Lane entitled: KEEP OUR LIGHT HIDDEN UNDER A BUSHEL.

Yonks ago (Councillor Wilcox was in charge of Highways, so that shows you just how many yonks it was) the admirable local rail pressure group Rail for Hereford contacted the council to suggest that directional signs for travellers arriving at Hereford Station (for such things as the Three Choirs Festival) would be enormously helpful, should they want to make the journey on foot, avoiding traffic, and were unfamiliar with the city's layout. A simple enough request, you would have thought: six or so signs on posts (first directing people to this 'secret' footpath, then along Coningsby and Widemarsh Streets) would probably have costs about 100th of the cost of that fatuous computer-generated 'drive-through' video of the Link Road.

The RfH suggestion wasn't even acknowledged.

Trying to access HV today but something was hicking all the time.

Anyway it could be called The Pricey Way.  Tried to think along the lines of Robin Robinson but could not get any further.

Enough of that could the dried up brooks cause a little bit of trouble for this much talked about Link Road?