Hereford Link Road

I have a feeling the SLR will cost considerably more than £27 million - just the little stretch from the A465 to the Clehonger Madley road is to cost I believe £8 million. A lot of money has already been spent so the £27m is not going to go too far.  We are drifting slightly off topic and will get out knuckles rapped apologies.

Goodness knows where the money is to come from - funding from Central Government the 6500 houses that are to be built within the city - leave it to the HC's accounting dept who seem to have an ability to make figures look better than they actually are. 

Thank you Denise for these figures. I am no mathematician but I thought the figures dont add up for any of the road schemes. Why cant Herefordshire Council get the basics right - for example providing a main library service, somewhere where you can find bus timetables, keeping children safe, cleaning the streets, filling potholes, etc? Instead they are fudging figures on grandiose road projects that dont help anyone or the congestion.

With Mr Robinson having been suspended for what reason we can only guess at but it must be something pretty awful and related to the mis accounting on the Link Road.  Whether this was through human error or wilfully carried out remains to be seen.  

Either way it will have enormous consequences and bring under the spotlight other figures that he has worked on.

The enormity of this situation does not really bear thinking about and I question whether decisions as county changing as the SLR and indeed the sale of the Council Farms should be made by a Council who are in danger of losing credibility.

• 2 weeks later...

In the absence of the full unadulterated story appearing in the press.  I will say how I see it.

Peter Robinson is a director of SWAP.

When the question of the missing £9 million came up and HC said that the Auditors were called in.  Peter Robinson himself called in SWAP to look at the errors in his work and investigate the figures.

SWAP had already audited these figures and passed them as being ok so obviously overlooked the discrepancy.

They would lose any creditbility they had built up within their profession.

I am not a qualified accountant but do have considerable book keeping experience and even from where I am standing this is wrong. 

• 4 months later...

Traffic down here is horrendous since this was made a temporary one way with traffic backing up over Newtown bridge,Barrs Ct road bridge,up College Rd and all the way down Barrs Ct Road on a regular basis.Of course motorists like me could see this coming.
No planning or thought what so ever has gone into this traffic nightmare.Who are these idiots?
Main reason for the problem is the traffic lights in Blackfriars street.They need to be switched off or hoods put on the lights.
I also noticed someone has removed the traffic cones up to Wicks today.
This should not have been coned in the first place & it should of had an access only sign.
No doubt they will be put back tomorrow morning.

• 4 months later...

Having driven past this area (when I finally got there) I can see no other reason to describe it than another route to engage in congestion. I'm assuming there will be yet another set of ATS at both ends, leading to an already congested route at either end making the ATS purposeless! The construction of this road is nothing more than CPOs and HC showing the Government that they are "trying" to alleviate congestion within the city and that their money is being well spent! No one of transport supremacy from central government has even been to Hereford, they just take what ever our councillors tell them.

The only councilman that has listened to public outcry and fought for a decent alleviation, was shot down by his so-called peers and had his ideology dismissed unanimously.

It is high time that Hereford City Council, Herefordshire County Council, or any other trading name that they may use, are rejuvenated with new fresh blood, a sense of purpose and common sense. The best joke I've heard from them of late is that Hereford will be city of culture 2021. Good luck!

It is high time that Hereford City Council, Herefordshire County Council, or any other trading name that they may use, are rejuvenated with new fresh blood, a sense of purpose and common sense. The best joke I've heard from them of late is that Hereford will be city of culture 2021. Good luck!

Hereford City Council are nothing to do with the Herefordshire Council - they are a Parish Council with delusions of grandeur - Mayor Kenyon's bridge proposal for instance. The District Council by and large ignore them. That said, they do good work at Parish Level.

Surely the money cant have run out as I was told the Council had upped the budget to over £40Million. Apparently this was done by renaming the whole project the Hereford City Centre Transport Project and adding £13million of new money to the original £27million they had for the City Link road. I heard that they had trouble last year not being able to work out how much they had spent previously and what the costs were brought forward, but surely with a new accountant he cant have lost the figures like Mr Robinson http://councillors.herefordshire.gov.uk/documents/s50036966/AG%20report%20cover%20sheet%20-%20HC_Hereford%20City%20Centre%20Transport%20Package%20Link%20Road%204-7-16%20003.pdf .

If this City Link Road has cost over £27million what is the likely cost of the Southern Link Road now? This was also supposed to cost £27million, but this is a much longer stretch of road and surely a much more complex project as they have to build bridges over roads and railway tracks. Does anyone know what this is now expected to cost? If it is more than £27 million who has to make up the difference? I would rather they spent the money making the current roads we have safe enough to drive and cycle along.

Surely the money cant have run out as I was told the Council had upped the budget to over £40Million. Apparently this was done by renaming the whole project the Hereford City Centre Transport Project and adding £13million of new money to the original £27million they had for the City Link road. I heard that they had trouble last year not being able to work out how much they had spent previously and what the costs were brought forward, but surely with a new accountant he cant have lost the figures like Mr Robinson http://councillors.herefordshire.gov.uk/documents/s50036966/AG%20report%20cover%20sheet%20-%20HC_Hereford%20City%20Centre%20Transport%20Package%20Link%20Road%204-7-16%20003.pdf .

If this City Link Road has cost over £27million what is the likely cost of the Southern Link Road now? This was also supposed to cost £27million, but this is a much longer stretch of road and surely a much more complex project as they have to build bridges over roads and railway tracks. Does anyone know what this is now expected to cost? If it is more than £27 million who has to make up the difference? I would rather they spent the money making the current roads we have safe enough to drive and cycle along.

I do see that in the latest round of planning applications, there is one for another pedestrian crossing on Edgar Street, this time by Prior Street. That will be the third one on Edgar Street alone.

And the sixth set of lights when the Link Road ones are installed

• 2 weeks later...

Love it! All the traffic lights are green, not a cyclist in sight and a classic idiot driver at 1:55. I don't give much hope for the health of people living in the 'Urban Village' that close to what will be heavy diesel fumes. The much vaunted canal basin appears to have been completely abandoned. There's another one of these promos showing Commercial Road as well. Still, as they admit, it's not reality.

Love it! All the traffic lights are green, not a cyclist in sight and a classic idiot driver at 1:55. I don't give much hope for the health of people living in the 'Urban Village' that close to what will be heavy diesel fumes. The much vaunted canal basin appears to have been completely abandoned. There's another one of these promos showing Commercial Road as well. Still, as they admit, it's not reality.

But all the cyclists will be on the cycleway?

Hereford was on Central news tonight.(makes a difference from hearing about bloody Birmingham all the time)
A few interesting pics from the Link Road vision when completed with the housing built.
First one is on the corner of Station app/Aylestone Hill.this building is replicated further down by the new County bus station.
The 2nd is on the corner of new road exit to Edgar St and shows what will e the new fire/police station.

post-918-0-43166400-1491331599_thumb.jpg

post-918-0-02480900-1491331600_thumb.jpg

The Norwegians know how to build things properly and quickly! https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/04/06/norway-to-build-315-million-ship-tunnel-in-world-first.html

"Construction of the tunnel is set to start in 2019 and take three to four Years"........ To carve out a mountain! It takes Hereford 50+ years to get a second bridge.

I'm sure we'd all settle for a tunnel instead if a bridge is too much trouble!