Rats at Belmont Lakes

lpusseycat

Anyone who walks around Belmont Lakes beware there is a rat problem.I know you will get rats around any lake but People have been feeding them.People take there children up to the lake what if a rat bit a child .A lady who walks her dogs there was that worried she contacted Cllr Phil Edwards about this because he is in charge of the Country Park and a Councillor.But instead of sorting the problem out he passed it onto someone else. Has any one seen Cllr Edwards since the Election he seems to have disappeared except for the photo in the Hereford times a few weeks ago.

I'm sorry lpusseycat but there is an enormous rat problem everywhere.  I say better out in the wilds than outside your front foorstep.  It is not helped by the amount of rubbish being flytipped everywhere and I have to say people who keep a couple of chickens in their back gardens.  As we enter winter this problem will only become worse.  A lot of the rat poisons are ineffective.

I was told of the rat problem at Belmont Lakes a few weeks ago, and that people were feeding them, rather dangerous because if they turn on people or any prey I have been told they go for the throat. I contacted the police when I was told about the rats, the local PC told me he tell Cllr Edwards as he sees him every day cutting the grass in Belmont.

Cllr Edwards was at HHL consultation session on Monday for the development of the Oval, when I arrived the HHL officer told me I just missed him. That is the first time he been seen on Newton Farm so I was told since the election

YES, see my post above where it says " Police officer says he sees him every day cutting grass in Belmont," that is why his constituents in Newton Farm says they have not seen him since the election, and he has not responded to their phone calls and emails, because they have contacted me with their problems and I have told them to contact him he is their councillor.

He gets paid for being a Councillor so why is he not doing the job,passing the problem with the rats onto someone else and Glenda still having phone calls from people who have tried to contact Cllr Edwards and he does not reply to them.The problem with the rats is that people are feeding them.Putting notices up would be a help saying do not feed them.I used to take my dogs for walks up by the lake I now avoid it.

I was told of the rat problem at Belmont Lakes a few weeks ago, and that people were feeding them, rather dangerous because if they turn on people or any prey I have been told they go for the throat. I contacted the police when I was told about the rats, the local PC told me he tell Cllr Edwards as he sees him every day cutting the grass in Belmont.

Cllr Edwards was at HHL consultation session on Monday for the development of the Oval, when I arrived the HHL officer told me I just missed him. That is the first time he been seen on Newton Farm so I was told since the election

Sorry but what the hell has a rat problem got to do with the bloody police?

STOP WASTING THEIR TIME  :Angry:

Ragwert, to answer your question:

1.  I went to the South Wye police because they patrol the lakes.

2. Cllr Edwards has not dealt with the problem in fact he passed the buck to someone else. The people went to him because he is the chairman of the Belmont Country Park and he spends all of his time up there, also the Belmont Lakes is in his ward of Newton Farm.

Ragwert, to answer your question:

1.  I went to the South Wye police because they patrol the lakes.

2. Cllr Edwards has not dealt with the problem in fact he passed the buck to someone else. The people went to him because he is the chairman of the Belmont Country Park and he spends all of his time up there, also the Belmont Lakes is in his ward of Newton Farm.

A rat problem has nothing....Nothing what so ever to do with the police

You are never more than 6ft away from a rat nowadays, whether it's a rodent or the other half, I'll let you decide!

Living by tescos, near a brook, neighbors with chickens, neighbors+2 with rubbish in the garden and me with a decked back yard this was the perfect haven for them. It was always wet and protected underneath the deck, clay soil, a free run to the brook with a good food source nearby. I was always seeing them about in the car park. The drain covers had been chewed & replaced a few times! These rodents have incredibly sharp teeth and can chew through metal!

I only saw a couple above deck in the garden, but they ran scared and lead me to their hole that I promptly filled. I could hear and see them under the deck most days but what could I do?

Buy a flute or move. So I did.

Bytheway rats are great long and high jumpers!

I didn't move because of the rats tho. Apparently they are a delicacy in South Asia. Catch some and contact the local takeaway!!!post-1208-0-72620700-1445036155.jpeg

Really big rat problem in the undergrowth at the side of Morrison's in town  (I've seen them) .... They know it and have had bait out in the past. Plus they cut some vegetation down previously. The brook behind KFC is the water source. So KFC probably have rats nearby as well .... But KFC/Morrison's have top marks for keeping them out of the building! This rating below applies to both premises! 

fhrs_5_en-gb.JPG

There are two brooks plus the lakes in Newton Farm and Belmont, I know the council has put rat poison down at the lakes last year because I ask them to, which they did carry out but they said while people are feeding the rats they are not eating the rat poison, hense the problem is not solved. As someone else said previously a sign should be put up stating DONT FEED THE RATS!

As someone else said previously a sign should be put up stating DONT FEED THE RATS!

I don't accept that people are intentionally feeding rats' as that is not regular behaviour. I would buy into the idea that people frequenting the area might be careless with food scraps. Where is the evidence that people are going out of their way to feed the rats' ? 

I don't accept that people are intentionally feeding rats' as that is not regular behaviour. I would buy into the idea that people frequenting the area might be careless with food scraps. Where is the evidence that people are going out of their way to feed the rats' ? 

I would tend to agree, I cannot imagine people feeding wild rats to be honest. People should however, take their rubbish and food home because that is what will attract them. 

Roger and Colin, sorry to disappoint you both but the people walking their dog actually seen the people feeding the rats, and asked why, that was when they said " look at them they are lovely".

I'm not in on the anecdote but this seems absurd. I think you need to get a grip Glenda .... 

Roger, I suggest you look at the first post on this subject someone else got in touch with Cllr Edwards about it because she was worried, and the couple got in touch with me, so are you calling them liars?I also don't appreciate you telling me to get a grip!I am just relaying what people have said to me and others because they are concerned.

Roger why do you think Glenda needs to get a grip she is stating the facts.I have had another Councillor ring me with concerns about this as they had been contacted by a lady who walks her dogs up there and she has seen them feeding the rats. I used to take my dogs up to Belmont Lakes but because of the problem with the algae and now the rats I keep away.What would happen if a child or dog got bit by a rat.If people are feeding them they will not be scared of human beings.

Rats scared of us humans - don't make me laugh!

What are the Council or even less the Police meant to do?

Put up a few signs saying don't feed the rats? Even if that worked the rats probably would not leave or even if they did they would probably forage a bit more at the nearby houses. Signs saying don't feed the pigeons in High Town did not work.

Perhaps the Council could pay for a cull. Well even if they culled every rat for 10 miles they would still return in the future.

Yes vermin such as rats, foxes, pigeons and gulls do need controlling but let's get a bit of perspective.

Of course if your only agenda is to have another go at the local councillor  then..........

Ragwert if like me you had witnessed the indiscriminate slaughter that foxes are capable of you would call them a lot worse than vermin.  I have seen slaughtered young lambs chickens geese and ducks.  As for the last time I saw a fox I saw a dead one back in the summer. Foxes leave a scent and quite often around the village I have smelt where a fox has been.