Dark Underpasses In Hereford - Update

I have some good news and not so good news.

The good news is, some of the bulbs have been replaced!!

Except this one at the entrance, maybe the unit is totally broke?

GF Fixed1.jpg

The not so good news is that where there are two bulbs in each unit only one of those bulbs have been replaced, maybe they are brighter or the other unit is not working or maybe the person replacing these bulbs is coming back at a later date...

GF Fixed3.jpg

I also see that the bulb at the entrance at Greyfriars surgery end has been replaced and it is working as you can see.

GF Fixed2.jpg

So we have a fairly rapid response in fairness but there is still some work to do. I would like to think parts have been ordered and someone will be coming back to complete the job, so time will tell.

Great result all the same and all done within 10 days of when I first reported it, well down to Highways England for a fast response. 

• 4 months later...

One of the problems is that there is no safe alternate route other than hopping over the barriers "protecting " the A49 . The barriers are in place to prevent pedestrians from crossing the A49 , guiding them to the underpass .

I use the Underpass regularly during daylight hours , sometimes a man is singing Eastern European songs whilst playing a guitar , I have no fear of him .

When it rains a large puddle forms at the Eign Gate end covering both the steps and the ramp , the puddle can be as deep as 3 inches so I am surprised that the Highways Agencies ( or whatever they are called now ) haven't placed life jackets near to hand .

Seriously, this underpass does need smarting up otherwise the younger fit residents of Hereford will start hopping over the barriers and dodging the traffic to get from A to B .

Gosh it does look disgusting would I walk through it? probably not I think I would walk to the lights at the end of the bridge.  Many many years ago I used to walk through the graveyard opposite the bus station and there were drinkers there and an alsatian dog but it was out in the open and there was plenty of room.  The underpass looks what it is a haven for dodgy goings on and probably stinks to high heaven.  What has happened to the people who used to jump up and down to make these things better and more welcoming and safer.  Hereford City Council should be putting a load of pressure on the HA to make this better = why aren't they?

This underpass used to be pressure washed every day.  Very little money would be needed to clean it through decorate it and change the light bulbs so I don't think cost can be used as an excuse.  Out of sight out of mind lets replace some paving slabs instead..

**** holes like this are supposed to encourage people to walk to work and to shop leaving their cars at home.  

Reading Rogers post on list of incidents etc which happened in the underpass , the Flood complaint of 6 years ago just proves that the Authorities responsible do not really give a rats behind as to the maintenance etc of this important means of pedestrian access to and from the City .i would also suggest that the Councillor that covers this area is also failing in their duty by not ensuring that this underpass is kept in good order.

Years ago when the Macarthy & Stone development at Friar Street at the old flour mill for the older peoples apartments was submitted for planning Herefordshire Council had tens of thousands of S106 money off the developers. I understand that this money was to make both Friar Street safer for older people and other pedestrians. The money was also paid to put a pedestrian crossing at road level across the A49 at Victoria Street, so that the many new residents would be able to walk safely in  and out of the City centre. I think the existing underpass was considered unsuitable for the retired people to use, most probably because of the incline. I wonder why this never happened as there have been lots more planning approvals there since, all paying S106 to the Council so surely there should have been improvements into the City for pedestrians over the years since.