LEA Pool To Be Demolished For New Affordable Housing

Colin James

Herefordshire Council is pleased to announce that WM Housing has been selected as preferred partner for the demolition and redevelopment of the former LEA Swimming Pool on Hollybush Walk, Hereford.  The housing association will develop a scheme to provide much needed affordable housing on the site.

LEAPool2.jpg

The pool had long term serious structural defects and had to be closed in 2009.  The cost of bringing the pool back into use has recently been estimated at around £5million.  As a result the council reluctantly agreed to dispose of the site in July 2015. 

Following a tendering process, WM Housing has put together a proposed scheme which includes eight affordable homes.  Discussions are currently taking place with neighbouring school, St Martin’s Primary School, and school children, school staff and residents will shortly be invited to an event to consider the plans. 

Councillor Harry Bramer, cabinet member for contracts and assets, said: “We are delighted to be working with WM Housing on this development which will bring more affordable housing to the area.  Local residents and the school community will shortly be invited to have a look at the plans, make suggestions and share ideas.  It is anticipated that the existing buildings will be demolished in April 2016, so that building work can begin soon afterwards.”

I understand Affordable Housing is a term used for houses for first time buyers along with the old type of Council housing.  

You are correct Denise.

I took the quote below from the Governments website here

Affordable housing includes social rented, affordable rented and intermediate housing, provided to specified eligible households whose needs are not met by the market. It can be a new-build property or a private sector property that has been purchased for use as an affordable home.

Steve, you are correct the pool closed in 2008, the council left it deteriorate until the cost of repair was to high. The community fought against its closure.

Denise affordable housing does not cover 1st time buyers, and intermediate housing is for people who are a priority for whatever reason to get housed, they are given a property while something more appropriate to their needs is found, hense the word 'intermediate'. If when a property appropriate for their needs is given they can apply to buy it but they have to live in the property and rent it for a period of time before allowed to buy it.

Herefordshire area Private rented, 1bed, circa £480, 2bed circa £590pcm, 3bed circa £630 PCM depending on location.

My old private rented place was filled within 48hrs of me giving notice and I was asked if I could vacate sooner, such is the demand.

Both of us worked 25hrs a day for 3years to save for a deposit. The graft was worth it as my mortgage is now just over half the cost of what my rent was.

If I could afford it I would buy another property and get a tenant to pay both mortgages with the cost of renting one!!

I have no idea of council house rent, but I'm assured it's not as cheap as folks think.

I am currently saving for a deposit myself and very worried about the lack of proporties available to a first time buyer looking for a 1-2 bedroom flat/house up to £130,000.

I'd like to ask the council where are these buyers such as myself meant to go, another city maybe?

• 8 months later...