Sausage & Cider Family Festival

Colin James

I do understand how much things cost to run, my brother organised a few music festivals in Hereford and hiring loos, generators, lighting, security, it all cost money and that don't include the bands, stage, PA system . But people did not want to pay, trying to get in free of charge and people complaining about the noise, sounds about the norm in Hereford to be honest.

I do not agree with your comments above, in my experience people do not mind paying for this sort of thing as long as they feel that they are getting value for money and what is advertised, in this case they got neither! It has nothing to do with Hereford people because people would be just as annoyed from Leeds I can assure you.

Emilia Koziol-Wisniewski We enquired them too as a local company (one of our pierogi fillings is exactly that - sausage (from Heggies) and local cider (from Oliver's Cider), wanting to be a part of a local event after the cancellation of the Flavours of Herefordshire but we were refused and did the Foodies Festival in Oxford instead... Such a shame that nobody locally was able to replace the missing FoH Festival and this franchising company took it over...

Myself, the wife and my son were going to pop along, but seeing all the negative comments stayed away, we wondered past on Sunday whilst walking our dogs (who were not allowed in.)

Instead we made our own version of a Herefordshire Sausage and Cider festival by going to the Litch and having a pint of Strongbow, a sausage baguette, and a thoroughly warm welcome (including the dogs) for a fraction of the price.

I think we made the right choice.

So Adrian - Tommysmith who I imagine is a Councillor incognito said that Balfour were responsible for taking bookings for KGPF.  So they get all the flak flying around and yet the Council pocket the rent that would have been charged.  I bet that ran to a pretty penny.

Denise, am certainly not a Cllr, so your detective powers have failed you there. I do know some BBLP employees though hence my belief (not certain knowledge) that this firm take bookings for places like KGPF.

If it pleases you, why not submit a Freedom of Information Request to see how how much was paid by organisers to use the site.

well I have now looked into this and my view is that we need more festivals, of different types.

This was primarily a music festival with tribute bands. The fun fair and other bits and pieces were a side line to entertain children and adults waiting for their favourite band to come on. £8.00 was a good price if you were staying there for the music. You pay more to hear one tribute band at other venues.

The Barrels charged £9.00 for entrance, well worth it but you would have to have spent lots more for beer or cider!

I am not sure why there was only 4 local cider producers there but that was the producers decision.

To hire the KGV meadows you have to go through property services who will decide on the provisions you need to provid for your festival. Balfour Beatty did the clearing up, safety etc and I have no problem with their work.

Does seem that many people enjoyed the festival. When it was put on in Swansea it rain and the field looked like a mud bath but hey, that is what all festival are about. We need things like this to happen in Hereford. I am not sure how much it costs to get into the Bromyard Festival but I think it was a similar price, HAY festival costs a bomb and Brecon Jazz Festival can be expensive,

Let's hope that other people want to provide entertainment for the masses, I do not want to have to keep going to the Cathedral or Shire Hall for my entertainment. In the 60s the City Council refused permission a for a band(pop group in those days) to perform in Hereford because of their long hair and permiscuous behaviour, which is why the Beatles and Stones never got to Herefordshire

well I have now looked into this and my view is that we need more festivals, of different types.

This was primarily a music festival with tribute bands. The fun fair and other bits and pieces were a side line to entertain children and adults waiting for their favourite band to come on. £8.00 was a good price if you were staying there for the music. You pay more to hear one tribute band at other venues.

The Barrels charged £9.00 for entrance, well worth it but you would have to have spent lots more for beer or cider!

I am not sure why there was only 4 local cider producers there but that was the producers decision.

To hire the KGV meadows you have to go through property services who will decide on the provisions you need to provid for your festival. Balfour Beatty did the clearing up, safety etc and I have no problem with their work.

Does seem that many people enjoyed the festival. When it was put on in Swansea it rain and the field looked like a mud bath but hey, that is what all festival are about. We need things like this to happen in Hereford. I am not sure how much it costs to get into the Bromyard Festival but I think it was a similar price, HAY festival costs a bomb and Brecon Jazz Festival can be expensive,

Let's hope that other people want to provide entertainment for the masses, I do not want to have to keep going to the Cathedral or Shire Hall for my entertainment. In the 60s the City Council refused permission a for a band(pop group in those days) to perform in Hereford because of their long hair and permiscuous behaviour, which is why the Beatles and Stones never got to Herefordshire

Can't agree sorry Chris. There have been so many complaints. This was a poorly run festival that was way overpriced. It was advertised Herefordshire sausage and cider festival and quite frankly that was misleading for many people. When you looked into this, did you look into the same event they ran at Leicester? That had an equal amount of complaints too. Music may have been okay, but most live music is appreciated anyway. Crappy burgers and poor limited selection of code none of which was local.  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:

No this was not primarily a music festival with tribute bands? It was supposed to be a SAUSAGE AND CIDER FAMILY FESTIVAL?????? Did you miss something here in your investigation?

Chris, the same weekend at the rowing club, there was Dragon Boat races, a Duck race, a barbecue, music, families, dogs were allowed, people weren't searched for food or drinks, and they weren't charged £8.50 each to get in with high prices for poor quality food...

Hereford needs more of those events, not travelling fairgrounds that are just ripping the paying public off (and stealing food from them)

Just my thoughts.

Chris, the same weekend at the rowing club, there was Dragon Boat races, a Duck race, a barbecue, music, families, dogs were allowed, people weren't searched for food or drinks, and they weren't charged £8.50 each to get in with high prices for poor quality food...

Hereford needs more of those events, not travelling fairgrounds that are just ripping the paying public off (and stealing food from them)

Just my thoughts.

Your thoughts tally with mine too Clarkester. 

The Barrells did they not raise one hell of a lot money for LOCAL charities with their bash over the weekend or did I dream that.  I have a feeling it was in the region of £28000.00 split betweeen 3 charities one being the Megan Baker Trust - I am sure I saw it in the HT today.

The company that laid the Playing Fields "festival" on were not a local company not promoting local produce and not promoting local music talent not employing local people and not spending the money they made locally and probably did not donate anything to charity.  Did they do anything right?  

Chris you say Balfour Beatty did the clearing up yet the festival organisers when attempting to blow their own trumpet said they worked through the night to do the tidying up.

I have a lot of time for the work you do Chris Chappell but I think you have missed the point on this. 

Chris you say Balfour Beatty did the clearing up yet the festival organisers when attempting to blow their own trumpet said they worked through the night to do the tidying up.

That's what I thought I read as well. 

Lets face it. It was a rental of a section of the KCPF by the Council to an Event Company (based in Derby) for their Mutual benefit.

What was provided was high priced low grade generic entertainment and off the shelf supermarket type food which was misrepresented as a festival of food and sausages ~ with a search at the gate thrown in. The reputational damage has been done to both The Council and the Event Company. I don't really care about the Derby aspect but I hope the Council has learned a lesson from this and they don't farm off Public Space to fly by night Companies in the future to prop up their fragile finances. 

That's what I thought I read as well. 

Lets face it. It was a rental of a section of the KCPF by the Council to an Event Company (based in Derby) for their Mutual benefit.

What was provided was high priced low grade generic entertainment and off the shelf supermarket type food which was misrepresented as a festival of food and sausages ~ with a search at the gate thrown in. The reputational damage has been done to both The Council and the Event Company. I don't really care about the Derby aspect but I hope the Council has learned a lesson from this and they don't farm off Public Space to fly by night Companies in the future to prop up their fragile finances. 

Think Roger has summed things up pretty well.

Except at the likes of Bromyard (I assume you mean the Nozstock festival), Hay and Brecon, you have genuine bands and performers on a much larger scale, so while they may be more expensive to get into, at least you are getting a decent experience. If my memory serves me correctly, with Hay don't you just pay for to see the performers, actors and writers etc, rather than to actually get in?

The Barrells did they not raise one hell of a lot money for LOCAL charities with their bash over the weekend or did I dream that.  I have a feeling it was in the region of £28000.00 split betweeen 3 charities one being the Megan Baker Trust - I am sure I saw it in the HT today.

The company that laid the Playing Fields "festival" on were not a local company not promoting local produce and not promoting local music talent not employing local people and not spending the money they made locally and probably did not donate anything to charity.  Did they do anything right?  

I have a lot of time for the work you do Chris Chappell but I think you have missed the point on this. 

Yes they do raise money for Local Charities and Community Centres which is what I call worthwhile as at least we know it does go back in the Local Communities

• 6 months later...

Anger over 'two hour bar queues' at Manchester Sausage, Cider and Beer festival at Bowlers

12809607_10153404566368244_7716718268113

Weekend tickets were priced at £19.55, with daily passes costing £11.25 for adults.

Nat Callaghan, writing on Facebook, called the event an ‘utter disgrace’ and said it was ‘quicker to get a taxi to town and get a pint’.

He said: “Utter disgrace. We walked in, saw the queue for beer that was two and a half hours wait, and left. If you’ve not turned up yet, stay at home. Not worth the effort of getting there.â€

Manchester Evening News

The Manchester event is this weekend.This is the same notorious James Dean Events who 'organised' the Hereford Sausage Event last year ...

Future events are planned for Essex, Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Peterborough .... Thankfully none for Hereford ....