Abandoned House In Newton Farm

Colin James

11822475_10207115440786965_4401216538716

Rear door ... Looks very tidy when compared to the front .... 

Anecdotal evidence posted on Social Media by someone I know who suggests there are bees living in one of the doors at the property. Also a dead cat in the garden ~ and rats. 

• 4 weeks later...

My friend just raised this subject again (somewhere else) in the wake of the Migrant crisis. Is it acceptable that this property is unoccupied (in unclear circumstances) when people are fleeing War Zones ? Should Hereford help out a Syrian family and house them here ?  

My friend just raised this subject again (somewhere else) in the wake of the Migrant crisis. Is it acceptable that this property is unoccupied (in unclear circumstances) when people are fleeing War Zones ? Should Hereford help out a Syrian family and house them here ?  

Not when we have local people that need housing but yes house is wasted in its current state which is disgusting.

Not when we have local people that need housing but yes house is wasted in its current state which is disgusting.

I would guess your answer would reflect the view of the forum. 

I only asked because of things like this that are cropping up ...

11988651_876350492448706_375528599752215

That was daubed in South Liverpool .... 

How is this still rumbling on with that empty house ? ..... We have a housing crisis! Use it or lose it! 

I would guess your answer would reflect the view of the forum. 

What is the view of the forum or do you mean the view of some of the members of this forum? Please do not be naive believing the view that you refer too is limited to just this forum. Roger you are 100% correct we do have a housing crisis. This house should be made good again and offered to the next family on the waiting list.

What is the view of the forum or do you mean the view of some of the members of this forum? Please do not be naive believing the view that you refer too is limited to just this forum. Roger you are 100% correct we do have a housing crisis. This house should be made good again and offered to the next family on the waiting lis

Could be many reasons why it is empty.The owner might be in a care home as is the case with the empty house by starting gate roundabout.

post-918-0-09133900-1441231028_thumb.jpg

Could be many reasons why it is empty.The owner might be in a care home as is the case with the empty house by starting gate roundabout.

I know the family who own this house.  I thought that my friends mother had long passed away. I will try and fine out what has happened but I know it was in need of a lot of repair and I am also under the impression it's listed but I could be wrong there.

What is the view of the forum or do you mean the view of some of the members of this forum? 

I was suggesting that the the majority of Forum Members would prefer that the abandoned Pixley Walk property was used to house a local family in need as opposed to being used to house a fleeing Syrian Family ~ who anyone would acknowledge are in difficulty. There are a lot of platitudes being spread about at the moment which suggest that we should 'open the door' because children are pictured being washed up on beaches. But the Utopian idea that we have unused reception centre's awaiting a potential influx of people .... and a glut of unoccupied (AND AVAILABLE) rooms at our disposal is incorrect. That is fantasy island. 

What is the view of the forum or do you mean the view of some of the members of this forum? Please do not be naive believing the view that you refer too is limited to just this forum. Roger you are 100% correct we do have a housing crisis. This house should be made good again and offered to the next family on the waiting list.

Please lets not turn this topic into another immigration/refugee discussion which we all have different views on. 

K Butt comments above sum it up in my opinion for this empty house in Newton Farm.

K Butt comments above sum it up in my opinion for this empty house in Newton Farm.

How long should it remain empty? The Council types read this Forum and I would have at least expected a gentle prod in the owners direction. Not a Council House but we need this sorting out. 

How long should it remain empty? The Council types read this Forum and I would have at least expected a gentle prod in the owners direction. Not a Council House but we need this sorting out. 

Completely agree with you Roger, it is not fair on the people living either side either and I am shocked to learn that is has been left like this for all these years!

This is a privately owned house from my understanding, so I suppose if they decide they want it left empty then they can, however, the owners should keep the property in order. As it stands this is a health hazard and needs clearing up, if the council end up sorting the mess then the owner should foot the costs.

This is a privately owned house from my understanding, so I suppose if they decide they want it left empty then they can, however, the owners should keep the property in order. As it stands this is a health hazard and needs clearing up, if the council end up sorting the mess then the owner should foot the costs.

The Councillor for that area should have this issue as item #1 on their agenda today at 9 AM .... But it won't be. The issue has been drifting for 15 years .... 

I know the family who own this house.  I thought that my friends mother had long passed away. I will try and fine out what has happened but I know it was in need of a lot of repair and I am also under the impression it's listed but I could be wrong there.

I do too..Was talking to Claire who's mum lives in the bungalow this morning and the old boy who lived in the green house past away earlier this year.

Claires dad is now in a nursing home and her mum is thinking about selling the whole plot for development.

It used to be a public house many years ago.

I do too..Was talking to Claire who's mum lives in the bungalow this morning and the old boy who lived in the green house past away earlier this year.

Claires dad is now in a nursing home and her mum is thinking about selling the whole plot for development.

Does her mum's surname start with the letter M? If it is who I think it is then I used to work with Claire's mum. She lives just off Ledbury Rd or at least she used too. I never new it used to be a pub, what was it called do you know?

Does her mum's surname start with the letter M? If it is who I think it is then I used to work with Claire's mum. She lives just off Ledbury Rd or at least she used too. I never new it used to be a pub, what was it called do you know?

Her mum is Elaine,can't remember her surname.

I'll ask her about the name of the pub

Are we going to see more abandoned properties in UK? These two articles published this weekend highlight the result of people not realsing that interest only mortgages are only that and they still need to pay off the initial loan, and that by people walking away or being evicted, the properties get sold to "investors" who do not live in them and they rot away.

LOUISE ECCLES - The Daily Mail - 4th September 2015

(extract)

Almost one million homeowners with interest-only mortgages have made no arrangements for paying off their debt.

The ‘ticking time bomb’ means nearly one in three with such loans could see their home repossessed at the end of the term.

With interest-only mortgages – taken out by millions in the 1980s and 1990s – monthly repayments are lower than with a traditional home loan because only the interest, rather than any capital, is paid off, but the full debt must be cleared at the end of a typical 25-year term.

and

PAUL GALLAGHER - The Independaent - 6th September 2015

(extract)

There are 10 properties for every buyer, and new owners leave their bargains empty and overgrown

The views from Clydach Vale on the outskirts of the Rhondda Valley town of Tonypandy are spectacular. They could easily entice someone looking to snap up a home in this part of South Wales – yet few people are buying.

Property prices might be rocketing elsewhere in the country – it emerged last week that even in the most affordable regions of England and Wales, buyers are forced to spend six times their income – but not here, where cars can sometimes cost more than houses.

Over the summer, the area became known as the location of the cheapest property in the country, when a three-bed terraced house on Oak Street was sold at auction for £5,000. Another on the same road went for £7,000. A row of seven houses on the steep street – it has a one-in-five gradient – has also been sold at auction recently, yet no one lives in them. The windows are spattered with paint and unruly vegetation is taking over.

Neighbours in better-kept homes are upset. “The problem is people buy them at auction and don’t move in,†says a man in his sixties who has lived in Oak Street all his life, but doesn’t want to be identified. â€œBuyers just sit on them. I don’t understand it. The local authority should force owners to upgrade them or repossess them and do it themselves.â€

Until the summer auctions, Tonypandy was best known for being one of the few areas in the UK not enamoured of Winston Churchill. In 1911, as Home Secretary, he sent the army into the area to back up the police after months of riots in and around the Rhondda Valley between striking miners and the local constabulary. Many never forgave him for what they saw as overreaction.

These days, the ill-will is reserved for homeowners looking to make a quick profit. The auctioned homes are often sold as “ideal investments for a builder†and one of the empty Oak Street houses, also a three-bed property, has already been put back on the market with a guide price of £35,000-£40,000. The online advertisement describes it as “a bay fronted end-of-terrace house with solid masonry elevations ... beneath an interlocking pitch tile roofâ€.

The tale of Oak Street’s empty houses is symptomatic of the wider area. Dozens and dozens of “for saleâ€, “to let†or “sold at auction†signs line the streets. There is no such thing as a housing shortage here.

Although the council has no powers to force owners to occupy properties, the spokesperson says a “proactive and strategic approach has been taken to encourage the re-use of empty properties†– such as taking enforcement action against dilapidated properties and the appointment of a dedicated “empty property officerâ€.

Making her way home from the High Street is Ann Jefford-Baker, 75, shortly leaving Tonypandy for a bungalow by the sea in Porthcawl, two hours away by bus.

“I’ve been here for 55 years, but this hill is killing me!†she laughs. “So much housing is available for rent around here. That’s been the biggest change in recent years. I don’t know what will happen to mine when it goes on the market in the next week or so. It’s a big house, so I’m hoping it will sell. I hope it soon becomes someone else’s home.â€

Shelter has found that there are 279,000 long-term privately owned empty homes in England, a real waste of housing when there are so many homeless families looking for somewhere to live.

Empty properties
We can offer advice and information to owners of empty properties and there is information regarding enforcement action, for extreme cases where properties are left unoccupied for a prolonged time and in a poor state of repair, and where owners are unwilling to deal with them.

Follow our Empty Property Pathway tool here, to see where and how to get advice and help.

• 3 weeks later...

Roger I agree with comment on post 77, unfortunately the people living on Newton Farm have told me only last week the councillor for the area has not been seen since the election, other than sitting on a mower cutting grass in Belmont. I had previously said I had been trying to get in touch the woman who owns the house right up to April this year. I do know that there is a new enforcement officer who I know so will try and get some information from him as to what is happening with the house.

unfortunately the people living on Newton Farm have told me only last week the councillor for the area has not been seen since the election, other than sitting on a mower cutting grass in Belmont. 

I can't really complain about a Councillor cutting grass if I'm honest. I like grass being cut. As for being 'missing in action' then vote him out next time if you are so inclined is an option. 

UPDATE: I got in touch with the man I know, he advised me he has not gone back to the council but is still with BBLP. He said I should go to the enforcement team of HC again as he knew I had been trying to bring this problem to a conclusion, he also said the new councillor should have taken up the complaint where I left off.

Personally I think were wasting our time as we know the environmental health has not done anything, neither has HHL helped the lady living next door to this house, the only thing to get some movement imo is to go to the press!!!

the only thing to get some movement imo is to go to the press!!!

The HT are all over this website and FB .... as they are with Twitter and various other websites. This story has crossed their radar so it's up to them if they want to run with it ....