Mr Chips Closed

Colin James

so you could say Goodbye Mr Chips  :Happy_32:  Not that I have had chips from there for a while, over the years they have never been that good. 

I agree, can't remember the last time I tried them but I do remember the experience was not great, I think it was when Alan still owned it.

Alan Williams obviously got out at the right time. The last bag of chips I had from there I had to throw in the bin. The new owner did sandwiches in that end section for a while. They were OK but nothing above average. Have business rates sunk this chip shop? From the photo it does not look a very attractive proposition to take over. 

The part of Mr Chips on the corner used to be Ronnie Joynes hairdressers.He managed the ip sisters and was well known in the world of Jazz and was an accomplished Hawaiian guitar player.
He married one of the original Bluebell girls troupe.Taught me to play the guitar.

I agree, can't remember the last time I tried them but I do remember the experience was not great, I think it was when Alan still owned it.

One of the times was when Alan still owned it and I think it was a about 18 months again and thought it was no better. Saying that, they were not the only ones that was not that good. I wonder how a few chippies keep going to be honest

Alan Williams obviously got out at the right time. The last bag of chips I had from there I had to throw in the bin. The new owner did sandwiches in that end section for a while. They were OK but nothing above average. Have business rates sunk this chip shop? From the photo it does not look a very attractive proposition to take over. 

Been there for a long time, so it must have done ok in the past, I would not be surprised if business did not help. The whole of that part of town needs a good tidy up and a lick of paint to be honest.

There are only so many take-aways that one small market town can support. Can't say I am sorry to see this place go, but another empty shop on Commercial Road is not great news.

We are not a small market town we are and have always been a City

It's been sold and bought as a going concern.

Will reopen after refurbishment.

I hope the new people retain the chicken curry/chips in a tray. Also the faggot/peas/gravy/chips in a tray. But they got to seriously improve on the chips compared to the last lot who let it slip ...

10505507_617280275075792_778653746134732

The photo is out of date but that pair of premises at the junction are still looking like a disgrace. Just unloved and uninviting. And dirty. I dunno what is actually happening at The Palace but it must be the slowest renovation project ever ... 

The part of Mr Chips on the corner used to be Ronnie Joynes hairdressers.He managed the ip sisters and was well known in the world of Jazz and was an accomplished Hawaiian guitar player.

He married one of the original Bluebell girls troupe.Taught me to play the guitar.

Yes, I remember the hairdressers now you mention it.

Paint was being applied to the outside masonry of the building this afternoon.( Please note my choice of wording describing the job in hand) I am not a gambler but it points towards another take away opening very  soon. 

Paint was being applied to the outside masonry of the building this afternoon.( Please note my choice of wording describing the job in hand) I am not a gambler but it points towards another take away opening very  soon. 

Went past there today. The yellow flaky paint in the picture has been painted white. Other than that the place looks the same. 

• 5 weeks later...

Went past there yesterday. The signage had disappeared for a while but it has been cleaned and is now attached to a new PVC frontage in the same style as the original. Activity inside as well. Looks like it's gearing up to re-open as before. Sorry .... No picture. My phone was dead ..... 

• 1 month later...

The frontage is laughable. They have put in new shopfronts but the one in the left hand building has a door that you cannot get through and with a hole for a pipe cut into it.

Don't think they have changed the shopfronts but yes that gas pipe sticking out of the door looks silly

Don't think they have changed the shopfronts but yes that gas pipe sticking out of the door looks silly

They have. It was wooden but it's been replaced with uPVC in the same style and colour. I think I last went past before this door 'pipe' was installed as I never noticed it.