Rented HA garage broken roof.

DILLIGAF

So the roof pours when it rains. I've rented it for years and years and it's just degraded over time. My stuff will be ruined when it's in there as I need storage for an imminent move. I only previously had my trailer in there, no biggie, yet been leaking at the back for years, now it's all of it! Phoned HA today, response was, "not priority, and they are only for car storage!" We'll send someone to look.

Well no1, nothing in the contract States it's purpose, no2, you can't get a modern car in it and no3 it was patched with a blob of silicon here and there many years ago!!

Where do I stand on this one? It's not fit for purpose, it hasn't been maintained in many many years previous phoned about roof again, nothing done, and the roof is asbestos? Yet I'm still expected to pay a monthly rent! Am I within my right to withhold rent until the roof is replaced?

First of all where is the garage located? HA garages are meant for cars only, but I have found in the past some people store things in them. Do not stop paying the rent on the garage. if you send me a email (see my website) or ring me (01432 360456) I will try to help you.   Glenda 

First of all where is the garage located? HA garages are meant for cars only, but I have found in the past some people store things in them. Do not stop paying the rent on the garage. if you send me a email (see my website) or ring me (01432 360456) I will try to help you.   Glenda 

I would bet that around 90% are used for storage Glenda.As Dilligaf said you cannot get a modern car in them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

16 days to fix it! Not heard a peep from anyone! I may just get a contractor to do it and invoice HHA, if this is not done by 31st July. Yes I'll send a letter to Paula Kennedy to inform her of my decision.

No wait she is no longer there perhaps my jobfile dissapeared along with her?

• 4 months later...

Still waiting so called again. Refused to pay rent till it is fit for purpose. Appointment is to be made with contractor and myself within 10 day. If they haven't contacted me to call HHL back.

5months to get an asbestos report, even when I told them initially! Or was it just being delayed as long as possible hoping I would forget? Now I refuse rent payment, we are progressing.

I know someone who was compensated because their roof was asbestos the other side of town, it has since been replaced.

As for the garages being used for cars only, when I enquired I was informed that a application form could be sent out and that there was a reduced rent for HA tenants and a slightly higher price for non HA tenants, I asked if I had to use the garage for a car and was advised that what I do with the garage is my business providing it was not used for business or commercial use, so I could use it to store some of my personal items in. Besides, new modern cars hardly fit which someone else has already pointed out.

What I forgot to add in my previous post was upon talking to the contractors, I asked when HHL had contacted them? Their reply was just now, as an urgent request!! I do feel sorry for HHL tenants requiring remedial works, HHL just don't seemed bothered?!

Yes Bill, that was the issue I faced initially. I was told in no uncertain terms that a HA garage was strictly for vehicular use not for storage. So I politely accepted and asked them to fit my vehicle in the garage, they declined. Maybe 40 years ago when they were built you could fit a vehicle in there but not today's modern vehicles. Anyway is a trailer not a non motorised vehicle?