Thank You

Glenda Powell

I would like to say thank you to the people who have supported me over the past 12 years as councillor for Newton Farm until 7th May. Obviously I am disappointed that I am now unable to carry on the work that I started last year of continuing the road and pavement resurfacing that has been done in Waterfield road, Masefield Ave, Charlton Ave. and Kingfisher road I hope Belfour Beatty will now resurface the roads and pavements as requested by me in Ethelstan Crescent upper Waterfield road Treago Grove and Goodrich Grove as arranged for end May to August.

Your a good girl and a credit to yourself, your constituents and your Mam and Dad. You should be very proud of your achievements and despite the tear that's welling up in your eye, don't be sad. Be happy. The burden is now lifted from your shoulders and you can find other things to occupy that sharp mind of yours.

You've run your course and I've most certainly finished mine and it's now time to do other things Glenda. You take care pal and don't give this sad chapter another backward glance.

Learn to Fish on the Wye. Start to smoke and become a heavy drinker of ale and see where the wind blows you. Goodbye mate.

Glenda , we have never met BUT I know that you have been a very good, respected Cllr who worked very hard for your Parishioners, you have served your Patch with so much enthusiasm - the residents you served owe you so much ........you will be a very hard act to follow .

Please stay healthy and happy .

Ubique, don't worry about Hinton Hitman comments, only 24 hours after the election results people in Newton Farm are already finding out that they voted the wrong person(their revelation not mine) in by what he said at the door and in his leaflet, that I am ill I just want to reassure people that I am fighting  fit and healthy. he played a very dirty campaign all because He sent me to the standards board last year and lost the case against me his allegations were found to be both  unfounded and lies. Before anyone thinks this is 'sour grapes' on my part let me assure you it is NOT, he has broken the electoral rules and a complaint has gone into the council. I just feel sorry for the people of Newton Farm . I will just sit back and watch and see everything fall apart. He has already told one constituent with a problem of flooding in their garden TO MAKE IT A WATER FEATURE!! because the constituent sent me the email as proof.

Glenda a champion/national treasure whether you were voted in or not.  Keep up the contacts and the friends that you have made keep on doing good you don't have to carry the label of Councillor.  You will be a very hard act to follow and I can see it all falling to pieces in your area and many other wards throughout Herefordshire.  

Something very strange went on with the voting throughout the county.  I can make sense of the country voting but not of the county.   

Glenda, you have served very well as a Councillor Thank you!! ClapHands.gif

You can always stand again next time around. I am really surprised that a fellow Independent stood against you in the first place, nothing gained there for the Independents! Maybe he was feeling insecure, quite a selfish act I think, nevertheless, you will be missed but knowing you, I would imagine you will still help local people, some will still be calling you no doubt.

Keep going to the meetings and keep your hand in, 4 years will soon come around I can assure you. (Unless of course you do not want it anymore?)

As least now you are unleashed and not under the Councillors guidelines that you have to stay within, so speak your mind and tell us all!! ha ha  :Happy_32:

Thank you Glenda, you have done a brilliant job, personally Phil Edwards could of stood elsewhere but chose to stand against you, I believe this was more about trying to boost his ego even more and make a point, the only point made here sadly was that the independents have taken 1 step forward but 2 steps back! 

Look at the smug look on his face in the photo from the HT, speaks volumes! 

post-157-0-64805900-1431190378.jpg

Thank you all for comments they are appreciated at this time. The other woman with the red coat on also lives in Newton Farm and she came in last.

Bill I wasn't aware you were at the count otherwise I would of spoken to you, yes I agree he was being smug, but as I said on another post about the toilet block, he had the gaul to turn up at my door last night and I slammed the door in his face, don't know whether it hit him and he was still talking to himself after the door was closed.

Glenda there were some shocking results yesterday, yours being one of them, Charlie Nichols another etc, I saw our new councillors yesterday and for all bar the odd few I hang my head in shame for our duped, apathetic electorate.

You are not my Ward Glenda. But I am well aware that anecdotal evidence is all out there that suggests that you were very good and very caring. Reality is tho that in these small Ward elections then additional Candidates can dilute support for others ..... There has got to be a strategy and co-operation for a Ward otherwise support just gets spread about. 

Very sad to see you go Glenda and thanks for all the help you have given the Newton Farm community. I feel like it is the re-run of a sick old B movie now that Edwards is in place, like many who use this forum i cannot stand people who lie and are deliberately set out to deceive, and he falls into that group. How pathetic to rival another independant in the same ward, unless the motive is one that will lead to another back hander in the pocket ,Hey Phil you love doing deals with developers what public land will be offered free to developers this time.

Thank you Glenda, you have served your constituents well over the years and nobody can fault your commitment. I share the opinion the Mr Edwards has let his party down as well as himself, I honestly thought he was a better person than this, my views have changed now.

Thank you all for comments they are appreciated at this time. The other woman with the red coat on also lives in Newton Farm and she came in last.

Bill I wasn't aware you were at the count otherwise I would of spoken to you, yes I agree he was being smug, but as I said on another post about the toilet block, he had the gaul to turn up at my door last night and I slammed the door in his face, don't know whether it hit him and he was still talking to himself after the door was closed.

....you hit him or hitman perhaps one of the same??

Glenda of course it's up to you but you obviously care very much about the people on Newton Farm. It was good for them and I'm sure it was good for you. Colin is right, without the constraints you can continue in a politically correct way of course! Make him work for the role, make sure he gets every electorate niggle or complaint. If he doesn't comply or respond go around him,go through him until within twelve months he,'ll be wishing he was widow swanky once again. The robes of office are more colourful for the vain and insecure however the combat jacket of Newton Farm can only be worn by a true electorate soldier and guess what...he ain't one of them!

Good Luck Glenda...Perhaps in twelve months.

Disgraceful  that one Independent should stand against another.  

Pray for Karma

I am very surprised indeed that other independents did not complain about Phil Edwards standing against another established councillor/candidate, this was obviously to boost his overzealous ego, I think its actually very damaging for the independents. Glenda I would suggest that you consider standing for IOC next time perhaps..

Frank, he was told  by four members of the Independents not to stand against me, as well as other councillors he was adamant he was going to stand against me and was very arrogant and rude to the Independent Leader when he said not to. He was overheard saying  on Friday after he was elected that as Adrian Bridges lost in Belmont, he could of stood in Belmont and got in because he is known there, the answer he got was why did you f...ing stand in Newton Farm then?. That is the arrogance of him. He is not going to get an easy ride both on Newton Farm and in the council I know that.

In regard to standing for IOC that would NEVER HAPPEN. I could tell you a lot about them, they are NOT for the people of Hereford, as their supporters on here will find out, they cannot be trusted!

Frank, he was told  by four members of the Independents not to stand against me, as well as other councillors he was adamant he was going to stand against me and was very arrogant and rude to the Independent Leader when he said not to. He was overheard saying  on Friday after he was elected that as Adrian Bridges lost in Belmont, he could of stood in Belmont and got in because he is known there, the answer he got was why did you f...ing stand in Newton Farm then?. That is the arrogance of him. He is not going to get an easy ride both on Newton Farm and in the council I know that.

In regard to standing for IOC that would NEVER HAPPEN. I could tell you a lot about them, they are NOT for the people of Hereford, as their supporters on here will find out, they cannot be trusted!

Ooo, I am not sure about that one Glenda. I know a few IOC members and their intentions are good and somewhat similar to the independents in some area's, so I am surprised you have said that to be honest.

I am very surprised indeed that other independents did not complain about Phil Edwards standing against another established councillor/candidate, this was obviously to boost his overzealous ego, I think its actually very damaging for the independents. Glenda I would suggest that you consider standing for IOC next time perhaps..

Yes I agree, unbelievable that someone can be so selfish and not see the bigger picture for the party, once he had finished celebrating and looks in the mirror I am sure he may regret what is looking back at him in time, it is quite shameful really.  

Ooo, I am not sure about that one Glenda. I know a few IOC members and their intentions are good and somewhat similar to the independents in some area's, so I am surprised you have said that to be honest.

I am not sure that was called for Glenda, I am gobsmacked at what you have said. I voted IOC only because I do not live in Newton Farm otherwise you would of had my vote.

Frank/Bill what they portray to the electorate and what they are like in the council chamber is very  different. It doesn't bother me that I got a red minus for my comments. I am free now from any constraints as  when I was a councillor to tell things as they really are, and I am known for my honesty and speaking my mind.

Frank/Bill what they portray to the electorate and what they are like in the council chamber is very  different. It doesn't bother me that I got a red minus for my comments. I am free now from any constraints as  when I was a councillor to tell things as they really are, and I am known for my honesty and speaking my mind.

Maybe that was your downfall... I see both independents and its our county more or less on the same hymn sheet so curious now, can you qualify your statement Glenda? Just so that you are aware, I voted for you Glenda.

Hinton Hitman, 34 posts to date and not one of them worth a read.

Glenda when you've recharged your batteries I would start explaining your comments. This game we're playing gets dirtier by the second. We the electorate trade insults with Councillors from opposing parties on a daily basis and we convince ourselves we are on the right side, human nature dictates we choose sides and we do it automatically, we are drawn to the pack mentality. We are not developing a bond of friendship with these parties, that's not the way it's supposed to be, Councillors work for the electorate you're not there to make friends, that in itself will lead to accusations of foul play.

There are many good people in all the parties but just because someones a great guy that doesn't make them the best choice to represent the electorate in the Council chambers. I also have overwhelming evidence all is not what it seems and I'm a supporter of IOC! However that just means they have a lot to learn. If I dicover my elected Councillor can be brow beaten into submission by the administration when they should be representing me, I will be screaming loudly. The only way forward in my opinion is the 'transparency' we all crave. When those cameras start rolling in the Council Chambers people will finally see how strong their candidate is and which battles they chose to fight! Glenda, you are now in a unique position to inform the electorate even if some people don't want to hear it. The more people who freely discuss what they know the more likely it will be that Elected Councillors will pick up their game and clean up their acts!

Morning Glenda.... re your post number 20.

Don't you think perhaps this is part of the problem?? Good Independent councillors steadfastly refusing to work with IOC??

There are differences of opinions...for example, transport solutions, within IOC, discussion and debate are good. There's nothing wrong with having an alternative view.

But to hold what is best for Hereford closest to your heart, should surely be the glue that could potentially bind you together...??

Don't dismiss the opportunity to be a part of something new out of hand..... things will be done differently, and you could be a part of that.

Perhaps it's a conversation worth having??

Paul, The two groups (INDE & IOC) are as far apart as they could be, there are some in the IOC & Inde has good intentions but go about it in the wrong way, i.e. personal gain, at the expense of the people they serve. The Inde in the past has spoken with IOC to do what some have already said decide to not put candidates up against each other on the same ward, and to be fair to the group I am no longer with they have done that only for IOC to go back on their word, they did this time as in 2011 flooded all wards with candidates even where Independents were standing prime example Newton Farm where I was told by John Harrington they were not putting anyone up in Newton Farm, as it has been said before on another thread it just dilutes the votes and no one wins. All opposition groups need to look where they went wrong this time and look again at the way they go about things because until they do they will all lose! Thank you for your vote.