Use Trams On Great Western Way

Don't get me wrong Colin, I was in favour of this happening when Mr Heinz suggested it and I haven't changed my mind. In regard to the flooding this is my ward and for the past two years I have been supporting residents who gardens back onto the GWW, the fields have flooded and water running down GWW into their gardens. I have fought for something to be done about this flooding both with HHL and the council neither have taken responsibility for the problem until last year. That said it still floods in heavy rainy weather. In regards to the skate park that belongs to the Newton Farm community

Don't get me wrong Colin, I was in favour of this happening when Mr Heinz suggested it and I haven't changed my mind. In regard to the flooding this is my ward and for the past two years I have been supporting residents who gardens back onto the GWW, the fields have flooded and water running down GWW into their gardens. I have fought for something to be done about this flooding both with HHL and the council neither have taken responsibility for the problem until last year. That said it still floods in heavy rainy weather. In regards to the skate park that belongs to the Newton Farm community

Thanks for the update Glenda I am sure that can be remedied it must by something to do with the banks since the track were moved and the pathway put in perhaps, it was certainly not a feature for the trains years ago. 

This morning I was also at the other end of the old railways lines. The tracks are still there in many places as I explained earlier, I took this photo this morning, this is where the track is gated off near the back of the theatre facing towards Bulmers an Sainsbury's. This crossing takes your from the back of the theatre to the left and the lads club to the right.

Lads Club1.jpg

If I now turn completely around 90 degree's the Lads Club is now on my left side and I am facing towards Curry's and DFS

Lads Club 2.jpg

I am now walking down this track in the same direction towards the bridge near Curry's and as you can see this area either side of the track is very wide I would estimate the whole width to be at least 10-15 metres 

Lads Club 3.jpg

Under the bridge and the track bares to the right heading past the back of Screwfix on the left and the back of DFS on the right

Bridge 1.jpg

If I turn around now stood under the bridge looking back towards the theatre which is behind those houses on the left and the Lads club is on the right. This will give you an idea of actually how wide this space is, this has to be at least 30 metres, loads of space! I was really pleasantly surprised.

Bridge 2.jpg

I am facing the bridge, the back of Screwfix is just the other side on the left

Bridge 3.jpg

Looking back in the same direction from this side of the bridge you can now see the back of Screwfix on the right 

Screwfix.jpg

Okay turning back (I hope your not feeling dizzy at this point lol) 

The trading estate on the left is the one at the back of B&M 

DFS 2.jpg

Then you come to another dead end where the track is gated off, this is along the back of the old sidings at the bottom end of Mortimer Road just before that tiny bridge at the back of Curry's 

Mortimer Road.jpg

Then the other side of this gate is where the track crosses the road at the back of Curry's 

This is the gate the other side of the road

Back Curry's.jpg

The track then continues around the bend into the train station, which would be an ideal end of the line for people wanting to go into the city centre.

Station approach.jpg

Phenomenal ...this site has achieved more POSITIVE discussion in three days than some mainstream party councillors in a complete term of office. It's a project we should all embrace because it ticks are green credentials whilst modernising our infra structure. With enough support I believe funding for this project could be found even outside the Council budget. There are plenty of philanthropists out there some no doubt with hidy holes close by who would contribute to such a cause!

Colin, this is a very sensible idea and something that should have been properly considered years ago. To effectively have 90 odd percent of the required infrastructure in place already and not put forward a viability study at any stage is a pretty poor reflection on past administrations. Of course houses would not be built alongside it so that may have dented the enthusiasm of some.

This is an idea that could and should work. It would allow large numbers to travel directly to the North and West of the City without battling through traffic in the centre.

I will ask our executive to consider this for inclusion in our manifesto as a policy promise ie/ commit to a feasibility study asap. Will get back to you.

Of course when you and I asked asked Cllr Phillip Price about this last year he said the problem with having to look at new ideas like this was "they have been already thought about sometime ago or they will be too far in the future to be considered".

Looks like a Ledbury based transport expect has explored this idea and he thinks it could be the answer to Herefords congestion problems, the suggestion has also been supported by Pre Metro Operations who run a light rail service in Stourbridge. His version is very very similar to ours and apparently there is a booklet made about it, although I have failed to find this. The costings are in the region of £22 million.

I have been following this thread and wonder why can't a cross between tram and rail and bus be used. Similar to the Docklands Light Railway.  Somebody will know why an automatic system can't be used, cost maybe? Brilliant idea. Should be done!

@ John Harrington: Leaving it a tad late to add it to IOC's Manifesto, aren't you, mate? There's only 34 days left to polling day.

I'd seriously suggest that prospective IOC councillors for the wards affected should be campaigning for this emminently-sensible alternative transport proposal out their on the doorsteps!

@Gridknocker and dippyhippy. We are scrabbling around at the last minute on a lot of things guys but we will be at that party!

I am more than happy with our local candidates having a free vote on this until we can include it in our manifesto. It is an entirely sensible idea.

I note the sounds of caution from some councillors and the repeated refrain that there will be problems associated with putting the tracks and infrastructure in place. Of course there will be. The difference after May 2015 is we will make it work if a professional independent feasibility study says it will. I always chuckle when some politicians and civil servants say relatively small scale projects like adapting an existing network won't work but don't query dumping hundreds of thousands of tonnes on hundreds of acres of farmland at 7-10 times the cost!

In life, priorities change. Our priorities will be sensible, cheaper and more 21st Century solutions to transport in our City and County.

Where there is a will, there is a way. And the response to Colin's excellent suggestion proves the will is strong. We would be fools not to take note of that.

I agree John where there's a will there's a way! I've just watched a documentary by the BBC about Detroit Soup.Found it inspirational and perhaps offers up ideas which might help to overcome many of the challenges that lay ahead.

Now as mentioned before I'm no big hitter for social media however this crowdfunding seems to be a growing phenomenon!

Before everyone gets completely carried away, for myself I do support the idea in principle as a good sustainability measure but I would not want my taxes to be used on a project that will only be used by half a dozen people

So yes it is a good idea but there does need to be a detailed feasibility to see that it would be worth the money

Before everyone gets completely carried away, for myself I do support the idea in principle as a good sustainability measure but I would not want my taxes to be used on a project that will only be used by half a dozen people

So yes it is a good idea but there does need to be a detailed feasibility to see that it would be worth the money

To be fare, I think there will be considerably more than a dozen people using this tram if implemented, did we not have some survey figures that over 90% of the traffic crossing the river is local or did I imagine that?

Colin, this is a very sensible idea and something that should have been properly considered years ago. To effectively have 90 odd percent of the required infrastructure in place already and not put forward a viability study at any stage is a pretty poor reflection on past administrations. Of course houses would not be built alongside it so that may have dented the enthusiasm of some.

This is an idea that could and should work. It would allow large numbers to travel directly to the North and West of the City without battling through traffic in the centre.

I will ask our executive to consider this for inclusion in our manifesto as a policy promise ie/ commit to a feasibility study asap. Will get back to you.

Of course when you and I asked asked Cllr Phillip Price about this last year he said the problem with having to look at new ideas like this was "they have been already thought about sometime ago or they will be too far in the future to be considered".

Yes I remember that day with Mr Price very well, I thought he was very negative about lot of things that we discussed...  :Winky:

past the rugby club and Sainsburys, continuing down parallel with Edgar Street at the back of the Theatre, continuing past Currys and almost to the back of Dunlem opposite the Leisure Centre.
How would it pass Sainsburys and continue down Edgar Street?

Evening Ragwert!

The old lines run under the Sainsbury/Aldi subway...... down to The Courtyard..... then continue on to Currys. They run parallel... so not actually on Edgar Street!

Well you are sort of correct, the track actually used to split at Barton Yard, slightly going left then straight on down the side of what is now Bulmers Labs (they still use the old railway sidings) and also to the right which is now the back of Sainsbury and Station road, then it continued up the straight (more or less parallel with the other track to the left) past the Railway Club and rejoined near Bulmers/Aldi. So a little negotiation in and around this area but nothing too bad, I would probably suggest either coming out of the bridge (now flats on the right) and going slightly left following the old track, they may need to use a bit of the open land which is part of the old telephone exchange (now used by the police) then through a small part of the overflow car park and around past the cider museum, over the road (traffic lights) and rejoin the old tracks near Bulmers which carries on all the way down to the train station. Or coming from Barton Bridge go to the right around the back of Sainsbury and straight up past the Railway Club, again over the road and rejoin from that side, which ever is the easiest option.

I took another walk this morning see photo's below:

From underneath Barton Bridge looking back up the lines towards Hunderton

Barton Yard Bridge.jpg

Barton Yard Bridge, here you would need to either go left or right.

Barton Yard Bridge 2.jpg

Going left after going through the bridge, but you could actually go left before going under the bridge I suppose too.

Barton Yard 3.jpg

Continuing on, you may need to use some of the open space on the left but its plenty wide enough.

Barton Yard 4.jpg

Barton Yard 5.jpg

This brings you along past the Travelodge.

Travel Lodge.jpg

Heading along the old route towards Bulmers/Aldi in the distance

Bulmers 1.jpg

You can still see the old railway siding on the left here, but this is where you would pick up the track from the photo's on took yesterday which are also further back in this topic.

Aldi.jpg

Or turning right from Barton Bridge would bring you along the opposite tracks passing the Railway Club shown here on the left either way the tracks would meet at Bulmers/Aldi section.

Railway Club.jpg

I am now stood at the back of Sainsbury's (Barton Bridge going to the left) near 'Railway Mews' 

Back Of Sainsburys.jpg

Looking straight now you can see the Railway Club on the right just after the green Travis Perkins buildings and across the road where Bulmers and Aldi are directly in front of you at the top of this photo

Back Of Sainsburys 2.jpg