Mothercare Hereford Closing

Colin James

No way..... not another coffee shop!

I made a plea for folks to support Nutters recently..... they make a great coffee in there! Let's support the Independent coffee shops! We have some great ones.

From my understanding they are relocating from their location in Eign Gate

Once again, Herefordshire Council are caught napping. Two years ago (perhaps it's longer, I'm sure TWG will refresh our memories), when TK Max announced that they were leaving Maylords, several people pointed out that the vacated two-storey unit would make an ideal city library. By the time council official moved into action, the unit had already been snapped up. Now we have a repeat with Mothercare. Surely to goodness some highly-paid suit in Plough Lane would have been tipped off that yet another (though not as large, I grant you) potential new home for the city's poor old neglected building in Broad Street was about to come on the market? And what are we getting yet another flaming coffee bar.

When the publishers of that excellent guide 'Crap Towns' get around to a revised reprint, I suggest they add this about Hereford: "Empty shop uniits, interspersed with coffee bars, charity shops and mobile phone showrooms.

Walked up Maylord St today , the first time for some time , 6 shops closed and empty .

As an aside , went to Argos today - purchased a Radio / Cassette , came out feeling that it might be closing soon , or the Staff need training ! Mrs U remarked the same.

@Aylestone Voice: Plough Lane-inspired tosh!

The very-active pressure group Hereford Library Users Group (which has been campaigning for a decent city library for more than a decade) tugged the council's sleeve as soon as it was known that TK Max was moving. But, as we all know, Herefordshire Council's senior suits don't exactly move at the speed of light. And so when they finally contacted the letting agents they were told: "Sorry mate, you're too late!" Checking the potential floor-loading of the unit's first floor is just a neat explanation that masks incompetence (or should that be incontinence?).

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit of a shock, what a shame after 35 years too. Do we know how many people work there?

Such a shame, I loved Mothercare. When my children were little I did all my shopping there. 

Are cafe Nero re-locating or opening another store. Either way not good for Hereford as there are too many coffee shops and too many empty shops. I'm sure there will be a charity shop waiting to take over the premises.