Freedom Church Back In The News.

dippyhippy

Another organisation merely using religion as a vehicle to acquire wealth and power seeking disaffected members of society for their own gain.....something that crosses the religious divide don't you think!

Yes I concur greenknight

There are a number of comments on Hereford times FB page about this!

I've message one person on there who's had dealings with them to see if there willing to come on the voice & share what they know with us?hopefully they will as it would appear they have been looking into the activities of this organisation for sometime?

In answer to Dippy question ( see post 9) this group of teenagers were called 2XL, they were formed in around 2002/3 in South Wye they worked with the South Wye Regeneration Board (SRB) which I was a member, we encouraged them to work in the community they worked with us to re-paint the play equipment in the old Hunderton school their reward was a free meal with entertainment after the work was completed. They did other things in South Wye and then they branched out on their own if I recall working for Rural Media but I may be wrong there!

Hi Glenda.

The "youth project" was called 2XL. It was a business. The director was Mr Snowzell who set up The Freedom Church. Herefordshire  Council paid them to undertake work.

The teenagers you remember would have been part of this group.

Have a look at the link to the petition link which Megilleland has kindly provided in post number 23.

The other link provided within the same post, is also worth perusing.

Particularly if you look at the co-workers, then follow the link to their Linked-In Profiles.

It confirmed to me that my recollection of names and faces from this time, are indeed correct.

The Council responded in part to that e-petition by saying;

"2XL is a charitable organisation delivering a range of projects for young people. The organisation is governed by a Board of Trustees from different professional backgrounds. It has an office based in the Freedom Centre, in Hereford, but it is a separate organisation from the church." 

And "The Council therefore proposes to take no action at this time in respect of the existing contract with 2XL."

That was in 2011. According to the Charity Commission it ceased to exist on 23 October 2013.

Interesting response.

So lets see if I have got this right.

Gary Snowzell sets up Freedom Church.

Gary Snowzell sets up 2XL.

One of the directors of 2XL is - and I quote from their LinkedIn page - " A social worker, and a church leader." They go on to say..." As a social worker, I work independently providing assessments for the local authority. As a church leader, I am part of the Senior Leadership Team at Freedom Church Hereford."

No. Try as I might...I just can't join the dots here.

I can see no link, no muddying of the water.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

When my little girl was born she had Plagiocephaly and she needed a helmet to help reshape her head...

The treatment was free on the Nhs but no one told us so we paid privately....I asked if anyone could help us on Facebook and the Church offered to donate The collection from a Sunday Service £180

I had nothings do with them then and am not with them now...but that random act of kindness is more than most people do including the majority on here....I suspect

I often chat to various members who have been helped by the church and whilst I think there mad to believe in the bible...tha t is their choice

I admire their guts drive and determination and I am sure that if they were in charge of the council Hereforshire would be a better place

Smartieno I do not think I misunderstood what you said about acts of kindness - you have no idea the acts of kindness people on this site do so please do not generalise.  Truly kind people just get on and do it and do not boast about it.   No I am not having a pop at you Smartieno but I do take exception to that comment.

I would agree with that Denise.

I know of several posters "good deeds."

They would never mention them on here.

My own thoughts are that groups such as Freedom Church do the "random acts" as positive publicity.

Perhaps I am a tad cynical. My experience of this group, and Smartieno1's, are obviously different, so we will inevitably have a different view of them.

I welcome all comments though, as I said.....different perspectives are good to hear!

Believe me pilgrims, they're all charlatans. Yes they are! Driven by a belief that they and only they know the quickest and most direct route to the 'light', they feast upon humankinds desperate need to believe in something that's beyond their earthly understanding.

Whether it's this lot, the Church of the Sacred Heart, who promise to make all my prayers come true if I would only post them twenty pounds, or the current howling mob running around slicing off people's heads in the belief that The Prophet would sanction this slaughter in order to create a Caliphate, they are all the same.

In fact, thinking about it, Id make an excellent Cult leader. Yes, I've got the bloody lot to fulfill that little role. All that's required is a big imagination, a way with words, a powerful and forceful nature, oft described as charismatic, a face and body that women find irrisistable and bing, bang bong, your up in the pulpit spouting off a load of Codswallop that promises everything and delivers only frustration and disappointment.

Mark my words brothers and sisters I know what I'm gibbering on about. I am full of rubbish and so are they. Our only difference? They'll eventually run out of pigswill!

Hallelujah!

Bobby is here to save me......where do I sign, Bobby??? I shall be your first disciple! Dippy the disciple has a nice ring to it!

I'd rather listen to your pearls of wisdom than a lot of the tripe that is trotted out under the banner of religion!

And whatsmore, if ever team Snowzell decide to carry out some mass Baptism down on the Wye and this happy event is to take place anywhere near where me and the lads are sat fishing for Barbel, Im going to have something to say about it.

If he thinks he and his followers can tip up, adorned in their holy robes, shaking their tambourines, shouting their Hosanna's and singing Cliff bloody Richards Mistletoe and bloody Wine and think for a single moment that me and the lads will put up with it, he's got another thing coming.

I'll tell him, 'clear off Snowzell. Me and the lads are fishing for Barbel, we've thrown twenty kilos of ground bait out upon the waters of the Wye and the last thing we want is you disturbing the Barbel as you dunk the heads of your brethren beneath the water howling, 'the spirit of the Lord is now with you. Go and sin no more'.

I'll be damned if I don't. Who's he think he is? I pay my fee to the Hereford and District Angling Association and I refuse to sit back, say nothing and have my bloody fishing disturbed by yet another false prophet.

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that someone by the name of John Johnson from the Freedom Church is standing as a Conservative in the Golden Valley. I know no more than that!

The former Marian Father's site does not need planning permission as it was previously a residential training centre for another church group. Of course if they wanted to do so new build in the grounds or an extension then they would reqire consent for that.

Hope this helps.