Fusion Nightclub

Roger

I would agree with Rebecca - this is a loss to the city.

I am more folk club than night club, but to lose a venue like this, so soon after the Jail House has closed, is a real concern.

To hear Rebecca say that after midnight, Hereford is like a ghost town, is also alarming. Many years ago, when a weekend barely passed by without a visit to The Crystal Rooms (Showing my age, now!) Hereford was buzzing until about 2 in the morning.

Out of interest, and because I am completely out of the loop now, what other venues are there? I can think of Play??? Are there any others?

Sorry, yeah, I was in the wrong place :P Feel free to delete my previous (I frequent the Open Forum more).

A shame, there's going to be nothing left soon what with the Jailhouse closing down. I can see Play becoming problematic with the shear numbers who will be forced to attend now, to the point where people just won't bother because it will be too cramped inside with long queues outside. 

To be fair Rebecca, Saxty's is really a pub as well. The only "clubs" left are Mamma Jammas, which is smaller than my house and not my ideal demograph inside. And Play, which is commonly referred to as "fight club" because of the excessive amount of violence caused by teenagers. 

Agreed that it used to be great, lots of choice, all of the clubs were full. Nothing like leaving the Rooms in the early hours and then having that little post club street party outside Jamals. You're lucky if you can get a sandwich in Hereford after 12. I think I mentioned before that Bridge Street seems abandoned at night with the closed venues and poor street lighting

I would  disagree with that......in order to be able to express myself through the medium of dance, I have always required quite a lot of room!

In too confined a space, there could be serious injury caused to any innocent bystander observing this spectacle!

The problems being encountered in Hereford are no different to what other town's & cities are having these days. Its about supply and demand with customers being more choosy with regards to what they want and expect from the trade. Fusion closing is more about Play giving more choice of entertainment - (its NOT a fight club as described by others). Jail House closing is about cost (interesting that these 2 and a 3rd venue The Moorfields are all owned/operated by the same chap). I know venues in surrounding counties are also struggling but interestingly not those who provide a good ale (Barrels & Beer in Hand) or good food and a friendly atmosphere. Nationally more pubs are opening than closing...so what hereford licensing venues doing wrong..and don't blame the authorities as its not their fault...

customers being more choosy

To be "choosy", you first need a choice. Hereford has no choice, even less so now.

And there are certainly plenty of people who refer to Play as a fight club, the last time I was in there there were at least 4 fights resulting in blood and throw outs, the time before 7 fights including a girl knocked out on the dancefloor. By contrast, I hadn't seen a fight in the Jailhouse for over 2 years (which I frequented more often) and I saw 1 scuffle in Fusion

Ah the Rooms I can't remember for the life of me the nickname - it was something like sticky something because your feet stuck to the carpet.  Monday night at the Rooms was the Auctioneers night and fair do's those were interesting nights!

The Booth and the Grapes slightly off topic sorry.  Hereford night life was buzzing then - happy days indeed.  

Yes !!!!!

Sticky Carpets!

Chips and gravy in a tray in one hand....drink in the other.....!!!

Those dreadful UV lights which made anything white go completely see through - and caused many embarrassing moments - and probably damaged your eye sight at the same time!

Wonderful, care free times!

Somebody on facebook said that with the pubs opening so late, people don't find a need to go to a club, which I can see as a contributing factor

Depends if you want a dance I guess but it's like this throughout most of Europe. Most clubs do not get busy until about 1am. I have just come back from Poland and they had a good mix of pubs and clubs and the law in Poland states that while you have customers drinking you cannot close some many are open all night.

Ah the Rooms I can't remember for the life of me the nickname - it was something like sticky something because your feet stuck to the carpet.  Monday night at the Rooms was the Auctioneers night and fair do's those were interesting nights!

The Booth and the Grapes slightly off topic sorry.  Hereford night life was buzzing then - happy days indeed.  

My Nephew Jason was the manager at Sticky Carpets for years, some great memories were had there.

Most clubs do not get busy until about 1am. I have just come back from Poland and they had a good mix of pubs and clubs 

I had a friend over from Australia, he was surprised that we went out "so early" at 8pm and shocked when the pubs closed about 11pm. He said they normally don't head out until 11 and clubs from 1am

• 1 month later...

I see that the Hereford Times have reported that Mamma Jammas could now also be in trouble. West Mercia Police have asked for a license review, following an incident in February.

The owner has stated that he has already altered the cut off point for late entry, by changing it from 3.00 a.m to 2.00 a.m. He says he fears his club will be "dead in the water."

According to a report from the Worcester Evening News last year, the owner has also opened a Mamma Jammas over there, transforming a derelict building opposite The Hive. It would be a shame if he decided to cut his losses in Hereford and concentrated his efforts on Worcester.

The owner is John Jones, is this the same John Jones who is the driving force behind the successful Hereford BID?. I'm sure this is a bloke who works extremely hard both in business and promoting and improving Hereford City Centre.

It amazes me that the authorities are taking what appears to be such an adversarial stance. Soon, there will be no night life left in Hereford.

They will do their best to close this club now, they have to consider the new residents in the flats built on that TINY car park at the back of Broadway House, city is becoming a joke.

It's a club!! What do they expect, I like this quote from the HT comments:

So the Jailhouse closes and the licencing authority has to find another club to victimise.

How many times are the Police called to the Job Centre? Where's the call to shut that?

From what I gather and read in to this there is no intention or agenda to shut the club just ensure that people in the venue are there because they want to be at that venue for what it offers and not just be a late drink where people go to when the late bars kick out at 2 and people have had enough. What is the issue with a last entry time of 1 or 1.30 every other club in town stops admitting at this time. Ok they trade later but if people are in there by 1.30 they can still drink and party till late. Maybe the customers need to decide if they are better off going to Mamma Jammas earlier and in turn the spend over the bar will increase.

The review application for Mamma Jammas is obviously listed on the Council Website here

The 41 'incidents' are listed in short form .... #8 is a bit flimsy as it seems to suggest door staff refused entry to a male who had turned up drunk from elsewhere. He refused to clear off and the cops were called .... Seems to me like the venue was trying to adhere to the Licensing Objectives .... 

Other items on that list are, at face value, worrying ....

To compare and contrast I'd like the HT to put in a FOI request in for all nightclubs in Hereford City Centre for the sake of balance .... Including the now defunct Jailhouse .... 

Hereford Times News: 3rd March 2015 by Ian Morris, News Editor

Mike Skinner will be performing in Hereford later this month

Mike Skinner, aka The Streets, will be the star attraction when a new Hereford nightclub opens its doors this month.

The Venue is the new name for the club that will operate from the Gaol Street site formerly occupied by The Jailhouse.

Skinner, who brought his own British twist to the world of rap by mixing in UK Garage sounds and break beats, will perform on Friday, March 27.

Tickets are available via http://bit.ly/MSVenueHFD while promoters are hoping to announce more acts for the club this week.

The review application for Mamma Jammas is obviously listed on the Council Website here

The 41 'incidents' are listed in short form .... #8 is a bit flimsy as it seems to suggest door staff refused entry to a male who had turned up drunk from elsewhere. He refused to clear off and the cops were called .... Seems to me like the venue was trying to adhere to the Licensing Objectives .... 

Other items on that list are, at face value, worrying ....

To compare and contrast I'd like the HT to put in a FOI request in for all nightclubs in Hereford City Centre for the sake of balance .... Including the now defunct Jailhouse .... 

Page 10:

Mr Jones does not accept that there is a high level of crime and disorder connected to his premises and that the level occurring is proportiate to the size of the venue. It was pointed out to him that a level which is acceptable to the police is zero and he should be striving to make his venue a safe place.

To be fare, I think the police are being unrealistic if they expect any club/pub to have a level of zero crime and disorder.  

Page 10:

To be fare, I think the police are being unrealistic if they expect any club/pub to have a level of zero crime and disorder.  

That's exactly the point I made in the comments section on the HT story this morning. A figure of zero is never going to be happening. And if you apply that logic to Mamma Jammas then you've got to apply it to Play Nightclub as well for instance. I seem to recall some fella got his face re-arranged there in January 2014 after 2AM which is precisely the time frame the cops are jittery about. Link

With regards to the 41 'incidents' listed if you make an assumption that no 'drunk' gets past the door staff to enter the venue then the assumption is that a proportion become drunk inside. The review doesn't seem to contain any direct reference to any bar staff serving inappropriately though. 

It just seems to me that the approach that is being taken here is throw enough mud at the wall and some of it is going to stick.

I think the owner has also queried the fact that included in these figures, are the times police were called because door staff had quite rightly refused entry to those on HAND bans.

It would appear to be a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.........