Relaxation Of Hot Food License In Hereford...

Colin James

I would imagine even if they were granted a licence to trade until 4.30am they would not be open everyday until that time, 

The application cost £190 so quite a few bags of chips. If the permit was granted ( I would be surprised if it was) then I suppose they have covered all bases and could close early if appropriate for them. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Golden Galleon application is up before The Council on 1 October 2015. The Police are happy for it to stay open until 03.00 hrs except for weekends prior to Bank Holidays when they could open until 04.30. They've listed conditions they would expect to be met.

Police Report

The Council sound less enthusiastic and object

Council Report

A disgruntled local has written in with an objection

Objection

With regard to the Glass Tandoori, I can't see them allowing them to open until 0430 at best, I reckon they will allow them to stay open until 0300, which would be a result, however, I cannot see what difference another 90 minutes would make. We should know the outcome sometime next week from my understanding, so we will see.

I thought they would allow them to open until 3am. Well hopefully this will be passed without a problem but lets wait and see, interesting to read what Fred Spriggs has written and I also notice one objection, why live in Commercial Road if you worried about noise? It's only the busiest are'a for nightlife in the city!

interesting to read what Fred Spriggs has written 

Yeah. He's basically said that they haven't demonstrated anything towards promoting the licensing objectives which is a bit harsh. On their application they've listed several things like bins, CCTV, door staff etc. They may not have listed that they've researched local crime patterns and places where kid's hang out but the application form doesn't really lead you down a path to cause them to do that. The place is already open until 01.30 so I don't think it's being realistic to get them to list where kids' are hanging about at 01.45 and for them to say what they are going to do about those kids' potentially causing trouble with the remains of a portion of Golden Galleon chips.

Yeah. He's basically said that they haven't demonstrated anything towards promoting the licensing objectives which is a bit harsh. On their application they've listed several things like bins, CCTV, door staff etc. They may not have listed that they've researched local crime patterns and places where kid's hang out but the application form doesn't really lead you down a path to cause them to do that. The place is already open until 01.30 so I don't think it's being realistic to get them to list where kids' are hanging about at 01.45 and for them to say what they are going to do about those kids' potentially causing trouble with the remains of a portion of Golden Galleon chips.

I agree, I can't wait to hear what happens here.

I am pleased to confirm that this afternoon Herefordshire Council's Regulatory Sub Committee met and considered an application from the Golden Galleon in Commercial Road to serve hot food late at night.

The case was heard and debated at length. After careful consideration the committee agreed to vary their premises licence to permit the sale of hot food as late as 03:00 and 04:30 on bank holidays.

I hope this keeps everyone in the loop and allays any fears that Hereford is resisting such a change. The police will no doubt keep an eye on the situation in the city centre and the Council will of course have to respond to any applications to review this licence should the late night sale lead to public nuisance or crime & disorder. However, let's hope it doesn't come to that and that everyone can enjoy their long awaited hot chips..!

Marc Willimont

Head of Environmental Health & Development Management

Herefordshire Council

Correction

Its actually 3am all days PLUS 4.30am Friday, Saturday and Sunday BEFORE BH's. ActualBH's are 3am

This is what the owners wanted and was agreed with the police prior to the hearing

Other venues can look at demand and consider their options - so give it a go I say

I am chuffed!! 

It's Monday to Thursday till 3 am, friday and Saturday until 4.30 am and any Sunday which precedes a bank holiday till 4.30. They also have to have sia registered and trained door staff from 1.30 am to close and hourly clear up of rubbish from 1.30 am and a rubbish bin.